Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Diarra: I learned nothing at West Ham

Alou Diarra has taken a swipe at West Ham's style of football during his spell at Upton Park.

Under Sam Allardyce, Diarra had two seasons at the London club, although half of the second was spent on loan at Rennes.

The Frenchman made just six Premier League appearances for the Hammers before being released at the end of the 2013-14 campaign.

Now at Charlton, Diarra has spoken of his unhappy time at Upton Park, telling his new club's matchday programme: "My first experience in England was frustrating because I didn't play many games at West Ham.

"I did well in training but it just wasn't football. They played a lot of long balls but, for me, that is too easy. I've always played hard stuff. I like to get into position with pressure.

"If you are not first choice with the manager, you have to wait for injuries or suspensions to get your chance and even then I didn't get it but that's in the past for me now.

"I didn't learn anything during my two years at West Ham. I've learned more in the last month at Charlton because we try to play football. We try to keep possession and win every game and for me that is football.

"It's about ambition. I'm a competitive guy and I need to win every game, not only some games."

From http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2015/04/08/10570232/i-learned-nothing-at-west-ham-fumes-diarra?CMPID=TWUK_150408_diarrawestham

But looks like they've taken it from yesterday's programme.

Comments

• "I didn't learn anything during my two years at West Ham. I've learned more in the last month at Charlton because we try to play football. We try to keep possession and win every game and for me that is football.
  • Not a massive fan of comments like this to be honest, glad he's enjoying his time here though.
  • Good for him, glad he has signed
  • Hope Poyet is having fun there.
  • They told him, they won the World Cup.
  • He's already part of an elite club: CAFC players who scored against Millwall.

A club of two if I'm right: Him and Kim Grant ;-)
  • Bowyer and Leaburn scored against Millwall at the Valley or are we just talking about at the Den?
  • What about the four goals we scored against them a few years back?
  • Sponsored links:

• He does know West Ham won the World Cup?
  • Stig said:

He's already part of an elite club: CAFC players who scored against Millwall.

Without checking Home and Away I think Garry Nelson at least joins that club .

He scored in 1994 in a similar game to last Friday . We took the lead with 20 minutes to go and they scored a really late winner . We also played with 10 men for the whole 90 minutes . Mike Small was on the pitch that day though .
  • Richard J said:

Stig said:

He's already part of an elite club: CAFC players who scored against Millwall.

Without checking Home and Away I think Garry Nelson at least joins that club .

He scored in 1994 in a similar game to last Friday . We took the lead with 20 minutes to go and they scored a really late winner . We also played with 10 men for the whole 90 minutes . Mike Small was on the pitch that day though .
    Correct re: Nelson (scored with a fairly weak low shot). Think Etienne Verveer and Jamie Moralee got their goals?
  • Didn't Gordon Watson score at the old Den? The game where we were 2-0 up going into injury time and managed a draw, Sheringham and Dawes I think scored for them.
  • Help me CAFC Lifers !

I thought i went to a Game at the old den when Teddy Sheringham scored a hat trick for them and Robert Lee scored a brace for us ?

No mention of it on that link or was it a cup game ?

Or was it just another nighmare ?
  • Either you've had a nightmare Sam or I have. My money's on me ;-)

Sherringham scored for them in August 1989. It was a 2-2 draw after we had a 2-0 lead. Robert Lee played in that game, but our goals were scored by Mortimer and Williams. Could that be it?
  • edited April 2015
    Seem to remember Sherringham got a hat-trick in a 3-1 at the old den.... I think we equalized then caved in later on, think it was some Man Utd loanee called David Wilson who scored for us. Sherringham scored in the 2-2, that well known goal machine Ian Dawes their left back, got their equalizer in something like the 96th minute. Not a great moment to say the least.

Don't remember Robert Lee getting two down there though.
  • Stig said:

Either you've had a nightmare Sam or I have. My money's on me ;-)

Sherringham scored for them in August 1989. It was a 2-2 draw after we had a 2-0 lead. Robert Lee played in that game, but our goals were scored by Mortimer and Williams. Could that be it?

Your Safe Stig,
    must of been the 3-1 that big William said about at 6.07

I knew that Teddy got a hat trick and Maybe Robert Lee goals were just wishful thinking on my part.

• Seem to remember Sherringham got a hat-trick in a 3-1 at the old den.... I think we equalized then caved in later on, think it was some Man Utd loanee called David Wilson who scored for us. Sherringham scored in the 2-2, that well known goal machine Ian Dawes their left back, got their equalizer in something like the 96th minute. Not a great moment to say the least.

Don't remember Robert Lee getting two down there though.

I was at that game, whatever happened to that David Wilson?
  • Sponsored links:

• That 2-1 game at the Old Den was an absolute killer, I think that we scored our second in the 88th minute, and still found a way not to win!

Have to say that like many others, I had completely forgotten that 3-1 game, when Sheringham got a hat-trick.
  • The season Lennie got us up we had a 2-2 draw at the Den, Good Friday I think, George Shipley scored one, both teams had 7/8 players booked.
  • Who scored in the 2-1 win in the AI cup at the old den? Think it was Barness' last game before his move to Chelsea.
  • Who scored in the 2-1 win in the AI cup at the old den? Think it was Barness' last game before his move to Chelsea.

Didn't Pardew get a last minute winner ?
  • Cunningham 38, Barness 84, Pardew 89.
  • How did this become another Millwall thread?
  • kafka said:

How did this become another Millwall thread?

Its strange because we don't care about them