Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gomez more than happy at Valley

Comments

• Good. Bigger and longer contract pease.
  • Redrobo said:

Good. Bigger and longer contract pease.

Think his current contract is the longest he can sign at his age.
  • A nice attitude from one of the best youngsters that I have seen leave our Academy, and a very good example to other lads coming through. Of course it is common sense that unless we can take him with us into the Premiership, then another bigger Club might snatch him from us. In that respect, for me this might be the first test for Roland's thoughts about the future, and we may even get to understand more about his idea of the way forward. I wait with interest.
  • I think there are three scenarios that will show Roland intentions:

1: Hold on to him. Extend his contract each season. Can probably do this for 2-3 seasons max .... positive

2. Sell him to the first prem that comes in. Get arm wrestled into selling him below CL valuation with bulk of fee add ons. ..... negative.

3. Sell him maximises up front payments plus further appearance and other add on payments.

My view is a mix of 1&2, but some never agreeing with the valuation and seeing it as assert stripping
  • Agreed Kap10, sadly enough I don't see Gomez finishing his career as an Addick, he will be in the Premiership well before the club ever makes it back to those lofty heights. If we can hang onto him for a little longer though his value is only going to increase, there seems a distinct lack of quality young English centrebacks right now and eventually someone is going to take the punt. Be interesting to see if RD favours cash up front over potentially greater earnings via clauses and add ons.
  • Kap10 said:

I think there are three scenarios that will show Roland intentions:

1: Hold on to him. Extend his contract each season. Can probably do this for 2-3 seasons max .... positive

2. Sell him to the first prem that comes in. Get arm wrestled into selling him below CL valuation with bulk of fee add ons. ..... negative.

3. Sell him maximises up front payments plus further appearance and other add on payments.

My view is a mix of 1&2, but some never agreeing with the valuation and seeing it as assert stripping

Would hazard a guess that RD is only going to sell cheap where wages are high in relation to sale value for a player past his best.

If he can finance losses he can afford to sell at the optimum time when wages required to keep an improving player are outpacing sale value. Problem is if he is tight on wages then that tipping point is accelerated.

Until we are in the black we will not see what RD's intentions are on building up the balance sheet and shareholder returns.
  • I hope we can hang on to him and make it to the premiership together. He has all the ability to be the best player we've produced, after all he's only 17 and playing regular first team football already.
  • He's a 17 year old playing regular first team football, on a carpet of a pitch, with experienced international players like TBH and Diarra to guide him. A good agent will realise how much this is benefitting his education at the moment, far more than being lost in some PL club's academy system. Hopefully he has a good agent...
  • Sponsored links:

• So how much is he "worth" then? One off up front fee - £5m ?
  • Arsenal are one of the big teams I would never begrudge a young player going to as long as Wenger remains there. They will never sign enough first teamers so when the inevitable spate of injuries come the youngsters get to show what they can do. The amount of games Bellerin, Coquelin, Chambers and Jenkinson have played in the last couple of years means Joe would probably get a good run out.

He's better off here though obviously..
  • I hope Luzon doesn't mess around and, just because he is good and can be adaptable, play him out of position. He ought to be Centre Back - preferably alongside someone better than the ones we've got now.
  • Good to see that Joe is happy with the game time he is getting. It does suggest that we need to play him at least as much next season, and in his favoured central defender role, which is surely where his long term career lies.

That raises for me the question of whether we have the right player to form a first choice partnership with him. TBH is a cultured ball playing defender and Joe is in a similar mould. Bikey is a highly physical, aggressive and overly volatile player whilst Johnson is experienced but possibly too slow. It may be that we need to invest in a better, big, pacey, physical centre back (in effect replacing Bikey and Johnson) to find the ideal partner to shepherd Joe through the next stage of his development while not leaving us too vulnerable at the back.
  • He's a 17 year old playing regular first team football, on a carpet of a pitch, with experienced international players like TBH and Diarra to guide him. A good agent will realise how much this is benefitting his education at the moment, far more than being lost in some PL club's academy system. Hopefully he has a good agent...

a good agent will make him a fortune, and Joe will be well paid too.....
  • He has established himself in the team. At his age, it would be foolish to leave for anywhere that cannot guarantee this. That doesn’t stop young players of course but looks like he might have his head screwed on. He will only enhance his reputation playing games.
  • Davo55 said:

Good to see that Joe is happy with the game time he is getting. It does suggest that we need to play him at least as much next season, and in his favoured central defender role, which is surely where his long term career lies.

That raises for me the question of whether we have the right player to form a first choice partnership with him. TBH is a cultured ball playing defender and Joe is in a similar mould. Bikey is a highly physical, aggressive and overly volatile player whilst Johnson is experienced but possibly too slow. It may be that we need to invest in a better, big, pacey, physical centre back (in effect replacing Bikey and Johnson) to find the ideal partner to shepherd Joe through the next stage of his development while not leaving us too vulnerable at the back.

Michael Morrison would be the perfect partner! Not wishing to dig up old problems but seriously he would be ideal! Experienced so as to help him out! Not too old so that hAs lost his pace and the right sort of cb to compliment him! With Bikey TBH or Dervite Johnson in reserve!
  • The next player to come through is Terrell Thomas.

If we could keep them, Joe and Terrell could be our centre back pairing for years to come.
  • The next player to come through is Terrell Thomas.

If we could keep them, Joe and Terrell could be our centre back pairing for years to come.

Ayo Obileye has been doing well at Daggers. He came up against Akinfenwe and more than held his own. Konsa and Kenneth Yao for the U18s are very promising too.

• Yeah yeah we've heard it all before .
  • Sponsored links:

• I suspect. Next season the centre backs will be Gomez , AN other, and Johnson or Bikey plus AN others best mate as back up
  • Davo55 said:

Good to see that Joe is happy with the game time he is getting. It does suggest that we need to play him at least as much next season, and in his favoured central defender role, which is surely where his long term career lies.

Michael Morrison would be the perfect partner! Not wishing to dig up old problems but seriously he would be ideal! Experienced so as to help him out! Not too old so that hAs lost his pace and the right sort of cb to compliment him! With Bikey TBH or Dervite Johnson in reserve!
    TBH or Johnson would be much better partners, TBH someone who's played at the highest level (for Chelsea etc) and is captain of his country, Johnson with his PL experience and experience of "football's ups and downs" are perfect individuals to educate young Joe...
  • I asked a few of those questions to Gomez in the post-match conference last night.

I was so shocked at how mature he was. He hardly stuttered and spoke very well, especially for a 17-year-old.

Made me feel old and i'm only 20! He will go onto bigger and better things, no doubt about that.