Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Should we be worried?

As it stands, all three of the Championship teams that got promoted to the premiership last season are looking at being relegated back to the Championship. Should this worry football fans in general? Is this symptomatic of a widening gap between the Premiership and the rest of English football? or is it a normal and expected pattern?

Comments

• It isnt good, but doesnt tell us anything we didnt already know. They are more likely to be strong next season. Its the established clubs that go down and don't go straight back up that find it hard to get out of tbe stall. Not good for football, but sadly the state of the game. Would be good if it benefitted the national side at least, but we know that isnt the case either.
  • edited April 2015
    The more the money keeps going up the more it's going to be the same teams swapping places every year and no one else will get a look in. Still PL the best league in the world and with idiot fans of lower teams still happy to pay their Sky subscriptions whilst moaning about the situation.
  • We're mid-table Championship - do we need to worry about this?
  • One season isn't a pattern. If it keeps happening, then I'll be worried.
  • Is there a point coming in future seasons where the same six clubs get promoted and relegated each season? X, Y and Z teams go down and A, B, and C go up. Then the next season A, B and C go back down and X, Y, Z, go back up. I hope not but i am worried we're heading that way? The playoffs for third place providing the only wild card chance.
  • One crumb of comfort is that this season has seen 2 very recent teams who were relegated from the Prem struggling in the Champs - Wigan and Fulham. Lets hope when Palace finally get relegated that they are on the slippery slope.
  • Is there a point coming in future seasons where the same six clubs get promoted and relegated each season? X, Y and Z teams go down and A, B, and C go up. Then the next season A, B and C go back down and X, Y, Z, go back up. I hope not but i am worried we're heading that way? The playoffs for third place providing the only wild card chance.

This all sounds similar to what was said when Stoke were promoted. And Swansea. And Southampton. And Palace/Hull.
  • IA said:

Is there a point coming in future seasons where the same six clubs get promoted and relegated each season? X, Y and Z teams go down and A, B, and C go up. Then the next season A, B and C go back down and X, Y, Z, go back up. I hope not but i am worried we're heading that way? The playoffs for third place providing the only wild card chance.

This all sounds similar to what was said when Stoke were promoted. And Swansea. And Southampton. And Palace/Hull.
    Maybe but there is no doubt that their is a rich getting richer poor getting poorer trend in football. Having said that there will never be a cure to mismanagement in football. Whilst there are chancers and gamblers there will always be clubs whose fortunes fall away.
  • It sticks in my craw to say it, but Palarse have defied the odds of immediate relegation and look almost at home in the PL now. I really hate myself for saying it though.
  • edited April 2015
    Nope, look at Southampton. It isn't because the teams are coming up from the Championship that their struggling, I personally think that this season it is due to the sides, especially Leicester and Burnley, didn't really decide to strengthen their squads much, or at least with any players of real quality. Leicesters biggest signing was a Ulloa, another Championship striker. If we were to go up and invested well, buying the right players in the transfer market I think we would be OK.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2015

Nope, look at Southampton. It isn't because the teams are coming up from the Championship that their struggling, I personally think that this season it is due to the sides, especially Leicester and Burnley, didn't really decide to strengthen their squads much, or at least with any players of real quality. Leicesters biggest signing was a Ulloa, another Championship striker. If we were to go up and invested well, buying the right players in the transfer market I think we would be OK.

I think it's the sensible option though NA. Taking a gamble and using all that money to buy, and pay top 'mercenaries' who may or may not do the business, and then blowing all your parachute payments on honouring their contracts when they don't is a familiar tale. Using it to strengthen infrastructure and pay off debt, and then having another go at promotion from a better position would be my take on things.

Palace also didn't splash out, and struck lucky by managing to stay up that first season. After that they are now going from strength to strength.

Of course, all this goes out of the window when your chairman just pockets the money.
  • Good managers as opposed to charlatans make a difference too.

Not saying Pearson or Dyche are charlatans by the way and Burnley could still get out of it.
  • Nope, look at Southampton. It isn't because the teams are coming up from the Championship that their struggling, I personally think that this season it is due to the sides, especially Leicester and Burnley, didn't really decide to strengthen their squads much, or at least with any players of real quality. Leicesters biggest signing was a Ulloa, another Championship striker. If we were to go up and invested well, buying the right players in the transfer market I think we would be OK.

Leicester also bought Kramaric in January for £9m.
    Burnley by contrast have hardly spent anything
  • Teams like Fulham and Wigan who established themselves in the Premiership and are now struggling, are not good signs. They warn clubs not to grow - look at us, Sheff Wed, Leeds, Coventry, Bolton etc... So all we will get soon is clubs going up and coming back down and not making that step. As much as I despise them, Palace have shown it is possible to improve though.
  • Teams like Fulham and Wigan who established themselves in the Premiership and are now struggling, are not good signs. They warn clubs not to grow - look at us, Sheff Wed, Leeds, Coventry, Bolton etc... So all we will get soon is clubs going up and coming back down and not making that step. As much as I despise them, Palace have shown it is possible to improve though.

Despite parachute money, it's fascinating how few teams bounce straight back. And if you try to keep a good squad together to get promoted at the first time of asking, you have one shot, as in the second season financial realities really hit home.

Wigan were 5th last season, relegation fodder this season. Blackpool just missed out on promotion their first season down, just missed relegation the following season then got relegated this season. Wolves went one better than us by being relegated 2 years running.
  • edited April 2015
    One of the observations made by the commentator in the Palace v man City game is that Palace have the least possession of any team in Prem, but they dont come over as being a hoofball team- its a pressing game that was instilled by Pulis, and carried on by warnock and Pardew.
  • It's when the only teams to secure promotion are those with parachute money that we have an issue. Right now only Norwich and Wolves in the top eight have parachute payments.

So do Wigan and Fulham! And Cardiff, Blackburn and Bolton. The problem last season was that Leicester and QPR were able to breach FFP limits and basically buy promotion