Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Car advice - Jaguar X-type

My trusty Saab 93 convertible is nearing the end of its life, and I am thinking about replacing it with an X type Jaguar, 2.0 diesel. I do about 25,000 miles a year just commuting so need something comfortable, economical and cheap.
My budget is about 2.5k.

My alternative is to just get a newer Saab (would be my third in a row) but the Jaguar looks good from what I can see. Do any lifers have experience of owning one of these, and what was it like?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2015
    £2.5k for a second hand car you plan to do £25k miles in over the next year. Is that going to 'work' ?
  • Options
    You may find it helpful to get a back copy of Jaguar World magazine with an X type buyers guide; try www.jaguar-world.com
  • Options
    PL54 said:

£2.5k for a second hand car you plan to do £25k miles in over the next year. Is that going to 'work' ?

Well the 9-3 cost me £1800 in June 2012 and I've done 70,000 miles in it since, with only one significant bill (suspension mountings renewed) soon after I bought it as the handling was terrible.
    The Saab 9000 I had before that cost me £1000 and I did 54,000 miles in 4 years, again no significant bills.

There's not much point spending a lot as anything i buy will have zero value after three years anyway, so I'd rather squeeze a few years out of an older car if I can.

• Options
    This article isn't very complimentary.

autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/x-type/63749/used-buyers-guide-jaguar-x-type

I'm assuming your Saab was petrol? You know about the horror stories with DPFs? Check whether the X-Type has one. If you are buying ANY modern used diesel motor the DPF might already be suspect and if you're not doing long (fairly high speed) motorway runs to burn off the crap in the filter you could have expensive problems coming your way. Stop-start London commuting certainly wouldn't be a good plan, I'd say.

This article explains the issues. telegraph.co.uk/motoring/green-motoring/10976356/Should-you-buy-a-car-with-a-DPF.html
  • Options
    Cheers cafcfan. The Saabs were both petrol and utterly reliable. The 9-3 (2000 model year) has now done 166k and is starting to need time and expense to maintain.

The Jaguar I've seen has no DPF (it's a 2005 car) and FSH with 100k on the clock, so seems the ideal model. At 50mpg I will save about £100 a month on fuel, so i will pay for itself in two years.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

The Jaguar I've seen has no DPF (it's a 2005 car) and FSH with 100k on the clock, so seems the ideal model. At 50mpg I will save about £100 a month on fuel, so i will pay for itself in two years.

That Jag diesel and transmission are fairly bullet proof and the interiors are built to last.

For what you want, it looks decent enough value.

• Options
    Thanks for your help all.
  • Options
    I've a mate who has an S-Type Jag. He didn't pay much for itand absolutely loves it. He was looking at X-Type's initially.
  • Options
    I currently have an Jaguar XF (diesel auto) which In had for 18 months which is lovely to drive & get around 45 miles to the gallon. Looking to get rid soon as I'm buying a property and need to cut down the loan repayments (£300pm) and looking to get a cheaper car (time finance is paid off I'll have around £8k to play with). Been very happy with it, but had a petrol X type a few years back which only did around 25 mils to the gallon so I would advise against one of those.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2015

I currently have an Jaguar XF (diesel auto) which In had for 18 months which is lovely to drive & get around 45 miles to the gallon. Looking to get rid soon as I'm buying a property and need to cut down the loan repayments (£300pm) and looking to get a cheaper car (time finance is paid off I'll have around £8k to play with). Been very happy with it, but had a petrol X type a few years back which only did around 25 mils to the gallon so I would advise against one of those.

The petrol X types where the V6s and both were four wheel drive. The four pot diesel is only 2WD and seriously economical.

Agree of the XF. Stunning cars, particularly the diesel S version.

• Options
    Was not my good friend Saga Lout selling his Jag,?..... I know it is petrol , but may be the bigger engine model.?.
    He will give you details if you message him, and is a decent type so could advise you as he has had a few of these, and probably knows a few owners.
  • Options
    I have sold my X type 2 litre Diesel. It was economical, but it was 9 years old and it was in the Jag dealer in Sidcup twice with a climate control problem. Both times they said they had fixed it but they hadn't. I was pissed off with them so drove round to the Audi dealer in Bexley and part exchanged for an Audi A3 Sportback very nice it is too. I enjoyed driving the Jag, but the difference between the customer care you get with Audi is streets ahead of Lancaster's in Sidcup.
  • Options
    I get any servicing work done by independents anyway, no point in paying main dealer rates for a ten plus year old car.
    Good to know you enjoyed it though, thanks. Saab in tomorrow for MoT and assessment of why the turbo's packed up (suspect sensor failure rather than turbo itself as a litany of fault codes showing up). The repair estimate may well be its death warrant. Been a cracking car though.
  • Options

Get a Ford Mondeo and stop showing off.

All joking aside, not a bad choice. Lot of car for the money, reliable and go from A to B like any other car.
    I dont really drive (only to Sainsburys on a Saturday) but my wife has a few of them and never had a problem with any of them.
  • Options

All joking aside, not a bad choice. Lot of car for the money, reliable and go from A to B like any other car.
    I dont really drive (only to Sainsburys on a Saturday) but my wife has a few of them and never had a problem with any of them.
    You go to watch Palarse?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

I get any servicing work done by independents anyway, no point in paying main dealer rates for a ten plus year old car.
    Good to know you enjoyed it though, thanks. Saab in tomorrow for MoT and assessment of why the turbo's packed up (suspect sensor failure rather than turbo itself as a litany of fault codes showing up). The repair estimate may well be its death warrant. Been a cracking car though.

Mine was still under warranty.
  • Options
    I own an S type ( I think it's the better looking car) it's the 3ltr sport model. Very comfortable and a pleasure to drive long distances feel relaxed and fresh at the journey's end .in fact I'm looking to purchase the XK8 because I was so pleased
  • Options
    Personally not a fan of X-types, but I think they're good cars and great value.

Ken is right - I am selling my XJ8, which is a different beast - 3.5 V8. 30mpg on a run, about 14 round town.

Kevtherev, I have owned an XKR and you should know that the XK8 and XKR models are "supercars", with the bills that go with that moniker - budget for 2 grand a year to keep it on the road and you won't be shocked. I loved every minute of ownership though and regretted selling mine the minute I handed the keys over.

I also had a SAAB 9000. Did 127,000 miles in it and the only significant expense was a new brake master cylinder. fcuking great car.
  • Options

You go to watch Palarse?
    I'm sat here shaking my head in disbelief. How could anyone think that of me?
    I've been accused of being a closet Nigel with no means of clearing my good name.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

An X Type Jaguar is a Mondeo for goodness sake! It was the Baby Jag designed and built by Ford.
  • Options

If you're definitely up for an X type, make sure the sills are ok. I think from 04 or 05 the issue may have been sorted, but there have been some serious sill failures on a fair few X types. Just google X type rust.

• Options
    Riviera said:

An X Type Jaguar is a Mondeo for goodness sake! It was the Baby Jag designed and built by Ford.
    Used a common floor pan but how many other parts? I worked for Ford at the time this car was developed so I know the answer to this. Its as much as a Mondeo as an Audi TT was a Golf.

Common floor pans are the norm nowadays and have been for many years for all car manufacturers.

Without Ford I doubt if there would even be a Jaguar car company today. They really were in a poor state when taken over by Ford.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Used a common floor pan but how many other parts? I worked for Ford at the time this car was developed so I know the answer to this. Its as much as a Mondeo as an Audi TT was a Golf.

Common floor pans are the norm nowadays and have been for many years for all car manufacturers.

Without Ford I doubt if there would even be a Jaguar car company today. They really were in a poor state when taken over by Ford.
    Indeed. My Jeep has a Giulietta floorpan, a Fiat diesel engine and a ZF transmission. The cup holders are 100% USA though - they are even illuminated.
  • Options
    kevtherev said:

I own an S type ( I think it's the better looking car) it's the 3ltr sport model. Very comfortable and a pleasure to drive long distances feel relaxed and fresh at the journey's end .in fact I'm looking to purchase the XK8 because I was so pleased

I had two S Types - the latter was the Type R. Both were excellent cars, but neither were a patch on the XF.

The 275bhp diesel is almost as quick as the Type R, but I'll get about 45mpg on the run to Sheffield on Saturday.

Not that keen on the chilled seats though - it always feels that I've wet myself, which is a worry at my age.

• Options
    The modern S type and X types cannot be compared to the XF or XJ range. They were just produced to allow the little man to own a Jag.
  • Options
    Had an XJ as well - one of the last when Jag was still a British owned company.

Most unreliable car I've ever owned. Electrical fault after electrical fault. The straight six engine was glorious though.
  • Options
    The X Type is a Ford Mondeo. 2.0 litre is severely underpowered. Stick with a Saab. Used to have a 93 Aero loved it.
  • Options
    I regard the Jaguar as an old gits' car (not XFs etc, but the more traditionally styled ones). But then i am an old git so that's fine.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I recommend this Jag