Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Early Doors

The term early doors was not one that was used at all in my growing up in Greenwich and Charlton in the late fifties, sixties and seventies and my first notice of it came I think from it being used by football pundits (ex players) ? To mean soon after. I presumed that this phrase was a northern one and it still might be but it seems there is little knowledge about it in general. The ubiquitous Wiki is surprisingly shy on the etymology of it.

Still not a term I would use I doubt but I would be interested to receive the CL wisdom.

Below is all Wiki has to offer.

Etymology

When English pubs closed in the afternoon, customers who were waiting or arrived soon after the pub re-opened in the evening were known as 'early doors'.

This definition is lacking an etymology or has an incomplete etymology. You can help Wiktionary by giving it a proper etymology.

AdjectiveEdit
early doors (not comparable)

(Northern England) Early, near the start or beginning
AdverbEdit

(Northern England) Early; at a time before expected; sooner than usual.
NounEdit
early doors

(Cockney rhyming slang, plural only) woman's drawers.

Comments

• Options
    "Early doors, meaning “near the beginning” is a phrase much beloved of football managers but it has its origins in the theatre nearly a century before. Referring to a period of admission sometime before the start of a production, when a wider selection of seating was available, usually at a higher price, the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) first records this sense in 1883, in an advertisement in the Times newspaper for a performance of Sinbad: “Drury-Lane.—Sinbad. Every evening at 7.15… Early doors to unreserved parts 6d. extra”"
  • Options
    Thanks Henry. CL never disapoints
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I first heard the term from Ron Atkinson. It was almost his catch phrase, regarding the start of a match.
  • Options
    Cheers guys. I too first heard this from Ron Atkinson and always assumed that he had mangled the phrase "early days". Once more, Charlton Life is an education.
  • Options
    Yep, I also associated this with Big Ron. He didn't have the widest vocabulary, so "early doors" featured heavily....
  • Options
    Always meant 'the End', Break on through' and 'Riders of the Storm' to me.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Always meant 'the End', Break on through' and 'Riders of the Storm' to me.

I preferred LA Woman- mind you, wasnt that Late Doors?
  • Options
    I first heard the expression used in the 50s by a Great Uncle, a Docker talking to my Dad. "Ron, we meeting early doors for a drink"
  • Options

"Crime can't fix itself, Ken". Loved Early Doors.

Ditto. Hugely under rated. The Graham Stuart of comedy programmes.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

The term early doors was not one that was used at all in my growing up in Greenwich and Charlton in the late fifties, sixties and seventies and my first notice of it came I think from it being used by football pundits (ex players) ? To mean soon after. I presumed that this phrase was a northern one and it still might be but it seems there is little knowledge about it in general. The ubiquitous Wiki is surprisingly shy on the etymology of it.

Still not a term I would use I doubt but I would be interested to receive the CL wisdom.

Below is all Wiki has to offer.

Etymology

When English pubs closed in the afternoon, customers who were waiting or arrived soon after the pub re-opened in the evening were known as 'early doors'.

This definition is lacking an etymology or has an incomplete etymology. You can help Wiktionary by giving it a proper etymology.

AdjectiveEdit

(Northern England) Early, near the start or beginning
    AdverbEdit

(Northern England) Early; at a time before expected; sooner than usual.
    NounEdit
    early doors

(Cockney rhyming slang, plural only) woman's drawers.

Same for me, SHG - it was only when I moved from Eltham to Manchester as a 19 year old that I heard the expression regularly and it literally meant meeting up at the boozer as near to opening time as possible, usually at the 5.30 p.m spot.
  • Options
    Glenn Hoddle's favourite as well as big Ron.
  • Options

Jiggery-pokery

It’s not so much found these days, though it is a delightful word for describing underhand practices or dishonest manipulation of individuals for personal profit. People also mean by it some form of trickery, especially the arcane manipulation required to make an item of technical equipment work the way you want it to (“most handsets need some jiggery-pokery to be Apple compatible”; “it may lead to copied games running straight from the DVD without the need for any further jiggery pokery”).

The charm of jiggery-pokery lies partly in its bouncing rhythm, a classic example of what’s called a double dactyl, a dactyl being a stressed syllable followed by two unstressed syllables; dactyl is named after the Greek word for finger, whose joints represent the three syllables. Other examples of double dactyls are higgledy-piggledy and idiosyncrasy.

The word appears at the end of the nineteenth century and is first recorded in Wiltshire and Oxfordshire dialect. The English Dialect Dictionary quotes an Oxford example, “I was fair took in with that fellow’s jiggery-pokery over that pony.” The experts are sure that it actually comes from a Scots phrase of the seventeenth century, joukery-pawkery.

The first bit of it means underhand dealing, from a verb of obscure origin, jouk, that means to dodge or skulk; this might be linked to jink and to the American football term juke, to make a move that’s intended to deceive an opponent (the other juke, as in jukebox, has a different origin). The second bit is from pawky, a Scottish and Northern English word that can mean artful, sly, or shrewd, though it often turns up in the sense of a sardonic sense of humour.
  • Options
    I raise your jiggery pokery with Doolally.
  • Options

I raise your jiggery pokery with Doolally.

From the town in India where the troops went nuts.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I'm watching Vera, for my sins. Guess what ? They just said "early doors."
  • Options
    Blimey, I always assumed this belonged to Big Ron!
  • Options
    Always though it was about pub opening
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Ditto. Hugely under rated. The Graham Stuart of comedy programmes.

One of my all time favourites... "Pickles"...
  • Options
    Do you like circuses?
  • Options
    Repeats of the first 2 series on BBC 4 and also on BBC iplayer. 

Underrated and such a brilliant watch 
  • Options
    I first heard the term from Ron Atkinson. It was almost his catch phrase, regarding the start of a match.
    Same here. I always enjoyed his mangling of tournament as "tourneyment", with emphasis on the drawn-out first syllable like some kind of weird mediaeval brummie pundit.

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Repeats of the first 2 series on BBC 4 and also on BBC iplayer. 

Underrated and such a brilliant watch 
    Finished watching last night, I missed it first time round, not sure why because it's "in my wheel house".  Apart from the fact it didn't end I thought ot was brilliant.

🍻 to the regiment 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Didn't realise there was a thread on this.

Never saw it tne first time around, but it was recommended to me by a friend as it's being shown again on IPlayer. Couldn't stop watching it.

Brilliant series.  Absolutely love it. 

Edit....I've just realised the thread wasn't originally about the tv show, but it should be!!
  • Options
    Watched episode one again last night. 

"Will you leave me alone Eddie, I'm having a shit..."  :D
  • Options
    Can't honestly remember when I first heard of it but I use it all the time & have done for years 
  • Options
    The video is crap, but this is my favourite scene. Absolutely brilliant 🤣🤣

https://youtu.be/q9PNoYSKx0A
  • Options
    The video is crap, but this is my favourite scene. Absolutely brilliant 🤣🤣

https://youtu.be/q9PNoYSKx0A
    “Best comedy moment ever”

Whoever titled that video clearly hasn’t watched much comedy.