Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Glenn Hoddle

Not everyone's cup of tea as a Manager or pundit but my lad was just asking how good was he as a player and I told him that seeing was believing.
http://youtu.be/wdwesPS0vgg

Comments

• Options
    You have to wonder what might have been had he not said/been sacked for those comments.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Superb AND thankyou. Watched that instead of our shower at the moment in Turin...
  • Options
    without doubt the best player I've seen play for Spurs in my lifetime. Probably will remain the case until the day I die.
  • Options
    Better than Ryan Mason?
  • Options
    best passer of the ball & also had a decent shot on him too.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

without doubt the best player I've seen play for Spurs in my lifetime. Probably will remain the case until the day I die.

You must have been pleased with 4 representatives today including the goal scorer.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

JohnBoyUK said:

You must have been pleased with 4 representatives today including the goal scorer.
    thought the four lads done ok tonight. Was really pleased for Mason. Kane gets the plaudits but Mason has run his socks off every game since coming into the team and he's getting his reward now.

Thought the goal pretty much summed his season up. Snapped in to win the ball and it broke to Andros to do the rest.
  • Options
    Who talked Mason in to those tatts
  • Options
    Great video, thank you
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

You have to wonder what might have been had he not said/been sacked for those comments.

Or as Hodd himself would say "them comments"........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Loved watching him play when I was growing up as his range of passing was so good.

Would be interested to see his 'assist' stats if he was playing today.

Always remember the chip versus Watford (6 mins 30 seconds in the video) - although Jensen's at Arsenal ran it close!
  • Options
    The Watford chip and some flying volleys are what I remember. One of those players who you could tell was on the ball at a glance, just from how comfortable he was.

Didn't realise he was so good with his left foot either.
  • Options
    What a player. Only 53 caps, ridiculous. In those days England managers seemed to distrust skilful players and now we are crying out for someone with even half his talent.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

The Watford chip and some flying volleys are what I remember. One of those players who you could tell was on the ball at a glance, just from how comfortable he was.

Didn't realise he was so good with his left foot either.

That was what I'd forgotten - his passing ability with both feet.
    I said to my lad. 'How many players do you know who could plant a 40 yard pass to feet with either boot?'.
    I was watching Delph last night and allthough he was decent enough and with a better right boot than many for a left footer, he kept having to adjust his run to compensate for his left-footedness every time he was being pressed and afraid to play a weak ball with his right peg - the right thing to do to avoid losing possession but slows the game and prevents moving the ball both quickly and in a forward direction - and defences know this and know from which angle to press him - a different world to playing Hoddle or Best.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Just been reported on 5live thatRoy Hodgson said in the written media conference that he has had talks with Hodd and he will be joining the England set up once QPR are relegated at the end of the season. Great news IMHO.

Hope the player's clubs don't object to Glenn technical coaching - they don't want to spoil their hard years of coaching playing with one boot.
  • Options
    absolutely superb player, we had a good side in the 98 WC
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Just been reported on 5live thatRoy Hodgson said in the written media conference that he has had talks with Hodd and he will be joining the England set up once QPR are relegated at the end of the season. Great news IMHO.

Not an early April Fools joke was it?
  • Options
    Great player, poor manager.
    Remember beating his Swindon at Upton Park, in fact we played them off the park, he gave us no credit and said it was all long ball.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Great player, poor manager.

But a bloody good coach.

I would have gladly had him back at WHL after Levy got rid of AVB instead of Sherwood!

• Options
    Just watched the video in full.
    Boy, we could do with a Glenn Hoddle in the England team today.
    Absolute genius of a footballer.
  • Options
    I would have in the England set up now - no danger!! Talks so well about the game and as a kid he was my hero! (Despite my Arsenal tendencies at the time!!)
  • Options

I would have in the England set up now - no danger!! Talks so well about the game and as a kid he was my hero! (Despite my Arsenal tendencies at the time!!)

Only a month or so ago he said he wanted Gerrard and Lampard together in Cm for England! I don't want someone like that running the team!!
  • Options

Only a month or so ago he said he wanted Gerrard and Lampard together in Cm for England! I don't want someone like that running the team!!
    I found it very strange when he played Ince and Batty together in CM, seemed to go totally against what he stood for.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

we have always been to intent on getting the Hoddles, Le Tissiers or Gazzas to fit into a system, rather than using a system that brings the best out of our most talented players.

Should've built a team around Le tiss and scholes. Would've been quality. One of a long line of England managers who overlooked the technical players. Personally think svens 2002 side were miles better than the 98 team.
  • Options
    Le tiss was not a team player hence why he had very few caps.
  • Options
    Would have/still loved him manage Charlton...........Fantastic player, definitely world class. Very good coach as well.
  • Options
    Great player, lousy manager and a bit of a Nazi when it came to his thoughts on disabled people. If there is another life after this one and he does come back, then I hope he ends up in a wheel chair.

And when it came to passing a ball, Johnny Haynes excelled above all others.