Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oz Ashes squad announced

Michael Clarke (c), Steve Smith, (vc) Fawad Ahmed, Brad Haddin, Josh Hazlewood, Ryan Harris, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Peter Nevill, Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Adam Voges, David Warner, Shane Watson.

It shows the wealth of quick bowlers that Oz have when the likes of Pattinson,Cummins,Hastings,Bird,Cutting,Coulter-Nile cant even get in the squad- all bowlers who would be in our team let alone squad.

Oddly though, the batting doesnt seem that strong, what with Clarke,Smith and Watson all having their problems in English conditions.

Be looking to groundsmen for slow,flat wickets methinks - however, no Swanny to bowl them out this time.

Comments

• Unfamiliar with a couple of those names. Fawad Ahmed and Peter Nevill?
  • Michael Clarke (c), Steve Smith, (vc) Fawad Ahmed, Brad Haddin, Josh Hazlewood, Ryan Harris, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Peter Nevill, Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Adam Voges, David Warner, Shane Watson.

It shows the wealth of quick bowlers that Oz have when the likes of Pattinson,Cummins,Hastings,Bird,Cutting,Coulter-Nile cant even get in the squad- all bowlers who would be in our team let alone squad.

Oddly though, the batting doesnt seem that strong, what with Clarke,Smith and Watson all having their problems in English conditions.

Be looking to groundsmen for slow,flat wickets methinks - however, no Swanny to bowl them out this time.

Bit OTT there! Pattinson would get into the England Test side but the rest of those bowlers are nothing special really, Cummins is useful but young and very fragile.
  • edited March 2015

Michael Clarke (c), Steve Smith, (vc) Fawad Ahmed, Brad Haddin, Josh Hazlewood, Ryan Harris, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Peter Nevill, Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Adam Voges, David Warner, Shane Watson.

Bit OTT there! Pattinson would get into the England Test side but the rest of those bowlers are nothing special really, Cummins is useful but young and very fragile.
    Cummins is fragile, yes, however he has the best test average of ALL of them - if fit, he would walk into the England team as No 1 bowler. You telling me that Jordan/Plunkett/Gurney are better than any of the others ??!! - you're 'avin a larf !!
  • edited March 2015

Unfamiliar with a couple of those names. Fawad Ahmed and Peter Nevill?

Imran Tahir to South Africa? - think Fawad Ahmed to Oz - though not as good.
    Peter Nevill is reserve keeper - 30 years old. Not quite sure about that selection.
    Also not quite sure about Voges - whats that all about ? - hardly set Notts alight.

Am I the only one who thinks Steve Smith is just a flat-track bully ? - he was quickly sussed the last time he was here - will be a flop.Clarke will just be bombed with short stuff, and Watson will be out lbw and caught gully as usual- and Warner will just nick-off as usual to Jimmy.

Peter Nevill is reserve keeper - 30 years old. Not quite sure about that selection.
    Also not quite sure about Voges - whats that all about ? - hardly set Notts alight.

Am I the only one who thinks Steve Smith is just a flat-track bully ? - he was quickly sussed the last time he was here - will be a flop.Clarke will just be bombed with short stuff, and Watson will be out lbw and caught gully as usual- and Warner will just nick-off as usual to Jimmy.
    I enormously admire the optimism! We did lose at home to Sri Lanka 10 months ago..
  • As much as I hate to say it, this Australia side are too good for us. There is a real possibility that weather permitting we will lose 5-0. Let us take a look at possible side.
    Cook- totally out of form. Lyth- untried at Test level, Ballance- did well against India and Sri Lanka, but Australia different proposition, Trott- Australia worked him over, Bell- which Bell will turn up, the one who scratches around for 30 and gets out or the one who is positive from the start. Root- our most consistent player. Ali- not quite good enough with bat or ball, Butler- good attacking batsman but how will he cope at 150 for 5. Broad- past his best, he appears undroppable, Jordan- bit too erratic but has decent pace, Woakes- not good enough at Test level, Finn- has lost his Mojo, was cannon fodder in World Cup, Wood- untried, Anderson- is good when ball is swinging but if pitch is flat will get hit.
  • England need KP, the team that said he is such a bad egg have just fallen to pieces,
  • That is a strong looking tour party, especially the fast bowlers. The selection of Ahmed should put an end to Aussie sniping about England's 'foreign legion' players .. it could well be that Balance and Trott will be the main men in England's middle order come the start of the Ashes campaign.
    I hope that Lyth, the left handed re-incarnation of Boycott, gets a go .. he is VERY good and at 27 is no callow youngster. We'd soon know if he is capable of handling really fast and aggressive bowling, something that he has rarely experienced in English domestic cricket
  • wmcf123 said:

Unfamiliar with a couple of those names. Fawad Ahmed and Peter Nevill?

I enormously admire the optimism! We did lose at home to Sri Lanka 10 months ago..
    I didnt say we'd win ! And we beat India 3-1 after the Sri Lanka result (where they were assisted by the weather).
    Just think the pessimism shown by everyone might be very over-stated.The 50 over game is vastly different to Test matches !

• I think another whitewash on the cards. Anyone know what the odds are and where said bet can be found ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Michael Clarke (c), Steve Smith, (vc) Fawad Ahmed, Brad Haddin, Josh Hazlewood, Ryan Harris, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Peter Nevill, Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Adam Voges, David Warner, Shane Watson.

Cummins is fragile, yes, however he has the best test average of ALL of them - if fit, he would walk into the England team as No 1 bowler. You telling me that Jordan/Plunkett/Gurney are better than any of the others ??!! - you're 'avin a larf !!
    Cummins has played ONE Test match FOUR years ago on a lively track in Joburg - his body is so fragile he has hardly played a 1st class game since - he has only played SIX first class games.

I think I will take Anderson (300+ wickets) and Broad (200+ wickets) as our premier bowlers before a bloke who has played one Test.

As for the rest of those you listed Hastings is a journeyman all-rounder, he played one Test and was discarded. Bird got carted all over the place in the 2013 Ashes, he is average. Cutting and Coulter-Nile have never even played Test cricket and are not likely to do so either so they are no great shakes.

Lets not get too carried away with how great this lot are, if you took Johnson out there would be nothing between the teams.

Cummins has played ONE Test match FOUR years ago on a lively track in Joburg - his body is so fragile he has hardly played a 1st class game since - he has only played SIX first class games.

I think I will take Anderson (300+ wickets) and Broad (200+ wickets) as our premier bowlers before a bloke who has played one Test.

As for the rest of those you listed Hastings is a journeyman all-rounder, he played one Test and was discarded. Bird got carted all over the place in the 2013 Ashes, he is average. Cutting and Coulter-Nile have never even played Test cricket and are not likely to do so either so they are no great shakes.

Lets not get too carried away with how great this lot are, if you took Johnson out there would be nothing between the teams.

And Starc?

And Starc?
    Starc is in the squad, he is talking about players who did not make it.
  • Sorry I was responding to the Lets not get too carried away with how great this lot are, if you took Johnson out there would be nothing between the teams.

I think Smith will do well....especially if England bowl short at him.
  • Sorry I was responding to the Lets not get too carried away with how great this lot are, if you took Johnson out there would be nothing between the teams.

Starc is a top one-day bowler, no question, but Tests are different.
  • We're going to spend this summer praying for rain.
  • edited March 2015
    Starc bowled 120 overs over three tests in the 2013 Ashes. He conceded 357 runs and took 11 wickets. His average was 32.45 and his strike rate was 65.4. Economy of 2.97.
  • i think the mitchell starc of then is a different proposition to the starc of now ....frankly our bowling attack are pie throwers by comparison ...i hope to be suprised but i dont think i will be ...i think we ll get blown away
  • I can see a few ties 3 or 4
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2015
    Hopeful that Lyth and Wood can step up to the plate. Moeen Ali needs a good summer with bat and ball too.

We need our aggression back. For a couple of years, our cricket team has been in it's shell but if our big names can claw back some form against the West Indies and New Zealand, we'll go into the series against Australia with a chance.
  • Hopeful that Lyth and Wood can step up to the plate. Moeen Ali needs a good summer with bat and ball too.

We need our aggression back. For a couple of years, our cricket team has been in it's shell but if our big names can claw back some form against the West Indies and New Zealand, we'll go into the series against Australia with a chance.

maybe the picture will seem better by then but maybe worse if the NZ batters just knock us out the park as they did in the 50 over version

we need a top order batsman/batsmen who can take the game to the opposition ..and i am discounting Kp

a bowler or bowlers who can bowl high 80s or more ...

not to mention a front line spinner

oh and our fieldings pretty average too

• I know it is pre season friendly but my nephew has just taken 6-22 against Surrey this morning.

Mitchell who?, I say.

http://www.kiaoval.com/live-scores/

• MrOneLung said:

I know it is pre season friendly but my nephew has just taken 6-22 against Surrey this morning.

Mitchell who?, I say.

Does he bowl medium pace dobbers, or 147 clicks?
  • MrOneLung said:

I know it is pre season friendly but my nephew has just taken 6-22 against Surrey this morning.

Mitchell who?, I say.

Excellent work and some decent scalps there.

I gather from the fact that Monty bats ahead of him that batting is very much his second discipline ;-)
  • He likes to think he can hit it a bit but think he has just been put in last in all games so far.

Also got a dislocated finger on his non bowling hand at present so protecting that.

Have also instructed him to refer to us as Mighty Kent when talking about us in the dressing room.
  • Oh and i forgot players on the fringes such as Clint Mckay,Bolly and Hilfy - maybe rocking on a bit but, in my opinion would still be close for that 3rd England place.
  • Not to mention Chadd Sayers, who'd murder it in county cricket imo
  • Steve Magoffin!