Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

William Hague

Comments

• Options

McBobbin said:

Can't stand the bloke. How could you ever trust a man that had no childhood other than standing in front of the mirror dressed as Margaret Thacher practicing his monotone speeches. If the term Geek is levelled against Ed Milliband I hate to think what this twat is.

You answered your own question with your penultimate word
    Raw nerve ?
    Nooooooo not at all. I was trying to call Hague a twat :)
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

I would also include Dennis Skinner as a great Parliamentarian, even though he is too left for me.

I really dislike everything Dennis Skinner stands for but that's not the point is it. 100% agree.
  • Options
    Trying to make himself look ordinary/ human after that terrible Tory conference speech, he once claimed to “sup ten pints of beer a night”, and that inappropriate appearance ( I think wearing a baseball cap) making some sort of crass statement when princess Diana was killed. Idiot.
  • Options

Addickted said:

Are you going to have to change your avatar now Ormi?

The avatar is because I found that picture of Hague absolutely hilarious, he looked a complete prat dressing like that as a 50 year old.

That being said, I really like the guy and he is the sort of old fashioned One Nation Tory that I genuinely respect (although he did run a toe curlingly bad campaign 2001 with the 'Save the Pound' crap).

I know people who have worked with him who say he is a really good guy with a great sense of humour who could have been a great PM - but the cards fell at the wrong time for him.
    Gotta be honest, I always assumed that was a picture of you!!!
  • Options
    Me too H!
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Ha ha, I genuinely never realised that. I always thought Ormiston was one of the very few people with a genuine selfie for an avatar. Apologies!
  • Options
    edited March 2015

bloke was and always will be a born loser, i'm sorry to say.

Interesting fact, my mum went on a date with him when they were both at oxford together. I tease her about it every time he's on telly.

Born loser?

The man got to one of the highest political positions in the country as Foreign Secretary and is already a millionaire outside of politics - he trousers about £30,000 per pop for after dinner speeches.

If he's a born loser then God only knows what that makes the rest of us.
    And a friend of Angelina Jolie!
  • Options
    Personally have always liked Hague and think he is very bright and could be an excellent politician.

Sadly for him he come into front line politics at a time when image was becoming the most important thing and sadly for him he hasn't got the voice, charisma, face and head for that game. He also took the top job at completely the wrong time.
  • Options
    I'm left of centre, but I quite like Hague, good politician with a genuine desire to do good.
    However he has demeaned himself with his tawdry speaker antics.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2015
    Hague, IMO appears as the weakest foreign secretary that Britain has had in many years but that may be the positions Cameron is asking him to take up makes him look that way. I found David Miliband to be a much sharper foreign secretary and Hague does not compare well. Miliband was much more sure footed. (This is not from a purely party political perspective).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good politician who used to take Blair apart in the commons even on Labours golden period.

A bit like Parky, right man, wrong time

Too many politics related threads on here at the mo
  • Options
    What in the run up to the once every five years general election?
  • Options
    With a voice like his, he should have been the Archbishop of Canterbury ..
  • Options

Sorry but no William Hague thread is complete without a clip of THAT horrendous speech.

https://youtu.be/qL_p9qjfu5U

Thought that was quite good; to be 16 years of age and hold an audience like that, whilst injecting humour in to quite a passionate speech - very impressive.
  • Options
    Indeed. A 16-year old that seems to have more sense than a lot of people nowadays. There's a clip that people like to post of some war veteran moaning at the Labour conference that's basically riddled with inaccuracies and bile but frankly 16-year old Hague pisses all over that geezer in terms of actual substance.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Addickted said:

Ha ha, I genuinely never realised that. I always thought Ormiston was one of the very few people with a genuine selfie for an avatar. Apologies!
    So Ormi - are you bald as a coot? lol.

I always thought you had that avatar as it was at a time people were questioning his, errrrrr, masculinity.

• Options
    Fiiish said:

Indeed. A 16-year old that seems to have more sense than a lot of people nowadays. There's a clip that people like to post of some war veteran moaning at the Labour conference that's basically riddled with inaccuracies and bile but frankly 16-year old Hague pisses all over that geezer in terms of actual substance.

Yeah, what a prick that war veteran was, speaking from the heart. Should've done his research and made sure his facts were correct, daft old duffer.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Fiiish said:

Yeah, what a prick that war veteran was, speaking from the heart. Should've done his research and made sure his facts were correct, daft old duffer.
    A lot of people have been killed or persecuted because of a good speaker telling lies to promote their own political interests.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

A lot of people have been killed or persecuted because of a good speaker telling lies to promote their own political interests.
    I think you comparing the war veteran to Margaret Thatcher is completely un called for.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I will agree with you on that.

Just thought your original post was demeaning and disrespectful to a man who has actually done something for his country.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Indeed. The last major leaders of both main parties, being perfect examples.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

I think you comparing the war veteran to Margaret Thatcher is completely un called for.

That's nice. Thank you for your post.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

Fiiish said:

That's nice. Thank you for your post.
    My pleasure.

• Options
    As soon as th clock strikes 12 and we roll into football week the better....
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Tony Blair's government was the worst of all time.
  • Options
    That Campbell-Bannerman was a bit of a tosser as well.
  • Options

dizzee said:

Just to counter balance the bollocks. Margaret Thatchers government was the worst of all time.

Yes, things were much better when sewage, refuse and bodies were piling up in the streets and rolling blackouts were just a normal part of everyday life because the UK Government had lost the plot. Jesus wept, the anti-Tory cabal on this forum really do inhabit a different planet.
  • Options

dizzee said:

Just to counter balance the bollocks. Margaret Thatchers government was the worst of all time.

Worse than Blair?
  • Options
    The troubles you mention were not under Blair but Callaghan I believe.