Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Glenn Hoddle

Just watching a Sky biop on him. No sound but fantastic skill. Then he becomes a manager and has a group of players around for a "chat". Whole load of defensive postures. Players looking at their feet. WTF was that about? No wonder he is not a manager now.

Comments

• Options
    Amongst the best I ever saw play. Awesome is appropriate description for him, especially with Perryman as his water carrier.
  • Options
    I think that the general consensus on Glenn, is that he is an exellcent coach, but a very poor man manager. For example some of the England teams he put out were excellently set up, and played some really good football - very unlucky to go out on pens to the Argies in 1998. However the way that he dealt with leaving Gazza (and others) out of that 98 squad would suggest that people skills are not high on his list of abilities.
  • Options

Just watching a Sky biop on him. No sound but fantastic skill. Then he becomes a manager and has a group of players around for a "chat". Whole load of defensive postures. Players looking at their feet. WTF was that about? No wonder he is not a manager now.

Paul Scholes, the best English player in not only his generation but many others describes him as the best England manager he played under. That's enough for me. Very easy to have a go at Hoddle from the outside but watch the documentary again with the sound up.
    As a footballing genius Hoddle didn't conform and yes made some I'll judged comments and decisions (not Gazza though, he was unpickable at that time) but we would have won our second and maybe third major trophy under him if he had been allowed to carry on as England boss.
  • Options
    Not saying that the dropping of Gazza was wrong, but I have heard from many different sources that no attempt was made to soften the blow, which led to many problems afterwards.

Not sure about winning a trophy under deal old Glenda, France would have taken some some beating in WC 98 & EURO 200, whilst we had a crack against a ten man Brazil in 2002, and were well short.

Without question our best hope was at Euro 2004, when we led against Portugal in the QF, and then had the gross misfortune to have Wayne Rooney break his foot. I still think that had we replaced him with Emile Heskey, we would have won that game. As it was SGE brought on Darius Vassel, which meant that we had two diddy men up front (Michael Owen), couldn't hold the ball, and then sat deeper and deeper until we finally lost, exhausted on penalties. Also should have done better in 2006, when we befell a similar fate.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2015
    Riviera said:

Paul Scholes, the best English player in not only his generation but many others describes him as the best England manager he played under. That's enough for me. Very easy to have a go at Hoddle from the outside but watch the documentary again with the sound up.
    As a footballing genius Hoddle didn't conform and yes made some I'll judged comments and decisions (not Gazza though, he was unpickable at that time) but we would have won our second and maybe third major trophy under him if he had been allowed to carry on as England boss.
    Bit like Iain Dowie with us
  • Options

Will never forgive him for his comments about disabled children.

This, people can sugar coat him as much as they want, but his "complex religious beliefs" are fucked.
  • Options

Will never forgive him for his comments about disabled children.

This. Great footballer he was, smug git he is.