Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latest Katrien Miere article (Evening Standard)

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2015
    seth plum said:

next season ought to be promotion rather than air conditioned pulled pork.

Katrien said:

But the fans need to be realistic because our budget is the third lowest in the Championship.”

Thats going well....
  • Options

“We had agreed heads of terms on a new contract with him and his staff. But, after we lost the FA Cup quarter-final at Sheffield United and with the pressure of relegation [Charlton were then bottom], we decided to dismiss him because it wasn’t working. He is a great hero. But people need to understand, the owner and I need to be able to work with the manager. It is the most important relationship at the club."

Stil pretending he was sacked because of results.

Still saying it was not working!!
  • Options
    Great interview, obviously benefiting from our current run of form, but makes you feel 'the only way is up'.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Kap10 said:

“We had agreed heads of terms on a new contract with him and his staff. But, after we lost the FA Cup quarter-final at Sheffield United and with the pressure of relegation [Charlton were then bottom], we decided to dismiss him because it wasn’t working. He is a great hero. But people need to understand, the owner and I need to be able to work with the manager. It is the most important relationship at the club."

Stil pretending he was sacked because of results.

Still saying it was not working!!
    Also probably thinks public mudsligning over the details will do the club no favours. CEO of the club, her job is to protect the club's image and reputation... the papers love a sniff of disharmony and a slanging match across the pages.

Many Charlton fans will know what went on with CP from reading various things here, VOTV and trust publications etc and from what else has been publicised in the press including the ES previously. Many won't care or will also be of the view results were a factor but who cares what anyone outside of Charlton is told particularly if it is damaging.

Not about rewriting or denying history but no point stoking over old ground when those who matter (the club, CP the Charlton fans) already know the score.

Don't need to spell it out for some by airing our dirty laundry in the Standard for some tubby West Ham fan on his train home to Chelmsford to thumb through in between his sudoku and cross word.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

How's she getting to Zampa Den

I was wondering that, I would hope an exception to the train on this occaision, @Fanny Fanackapan maybe have a word?
    Katrien being a fit young women as was proved with last weeks 8 mile walk.
    Then getting to the den will be a stroll for her from where she Lives.

• Options
    I am fully accepting that we have to work within our budget even if that means relegation. Is that the story? We were told Bob Peeters was sacked because of results, not because he wasn't balancing the books.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I am fully accepting that we have to work within our budget even if that means relegation. Is that the story? We were told Bob Peeters was sacked because of results, not because he wasn't balancing the books.

To be fair, it was because of results and he'd fallen out with players after publicly criticising them. He had to go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Addickted said:

seth plum said:

On the Powell sacking, well Katrien said yesterday and now today that 'it' wasn't working. I fully understand that in those circumstances something's gotta give, and it won't be the owner.
    I am intrigued by the 'it'. Does she mean results? Does she mean compliance? Does she mean playing players as instructed? Does she mean the traditional style of manager rather than the continental head coach?
    Judging by the Powell interview the new regime did virtually nothing to support Powell when they took over, indeed they undermined him, and then let it drag on because it would've looked even worse if Powell was sacked during the cup run.
    The it that Katrien refers to is a small word covering a big problem which the current regime might now admit was handled disastrously, as it has clumsily handled other stuff since.
    I suppose I am musing on to what degree the pattern might repeat itself in the future. The it is a very ambiguous term in this context, for example I presume it wasn't working for Guy Luzon at Liege so they sacked him there.
    I would like to think that the definition of working is results and success, I would also accept that 'working' could mean driving down costs until the club breaks even on it's own terms, and if that means poor results and relegation, then fair enough.
    I wonder however if the it that is supposed to work is about creating a player farm, or some kind of convoluted thing that it is hard to understand.
    Anyway like Guy Luzon, at the moment I understand wins, and also don't like to lose. I suspect Guy and I are also both well cheesed off that we're not going to make the play offs, and the it that can work next season ought to be promotion rather than air conditioned pulled pork.

Get over it

He's gone.
    I got over it ages ago, and have made it a personal policy very soon after he left not to go on about Powell. If you want to be bored out of your mind you can check my posts over the past year and see that compared to many many others I have avoided the Powell topic 90% of the time.
    If you think I make my points on here are fueled by bitterness about Powell you are mistaken.

• Options
    on the 'air con v players' debate, its a silly non issue, the infrastructure of the club is still needs sorting, be it air con, ticketing, or ovens that don't work. It's clear RD will fund both if sensible investments in the future.
  • Options
    Hi all,

The interview has been changed online now (and hopefully in the final version of today's Standard) as there was a misunderstanding relating to the section on Fulham. Katrien didn't say there was any interest in purchasing Fulham before the takeover at Charlton.

--> http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/katrien-meire-ive-had-frightening-abuse-from-charlton-fans-but-i-love-leading-role-10131362.html

IL
  • Options
    Seth: 'it' means compliance with the control RD expects his managers to allow. From all that I heard, Chris was refusing RD his requirement to insist on network players being selected and that meant he had to go. If it is now accepted that those players were not good enough then, it could be argued that the owner wrongly sacked the manager who was doing the right thing. Heaven forbid!
  • Options
    oh on Fulham, I expect the reason they didn't buy was the amount of debt that would have to taken on
  • Options
    All her recent media pieces clearly show that she wants to communicate, especially while things on the pitch are going so well. She's made it clear that she won't speak directly to the Trust as requested so is presumably using these outlets instead. Importantly she acknowledges some of the errors that have been made, and unfortunately there will probably be more yet as both she and the owner gradually become more accustomed to the new environment (which could perhaps be aided by more regular visits from the latter).

I guess we also have to accept some financial restraint, albeit with far more investment than was clearly the case in the final days of the last regime, but that needs to be balanced by continuing the obvious improvement in the suitability of signings, demonstrating that lessons really have been learned. Providing a realistic budget to make us competitive is of course essential but the likes of Burnley last season illustrate what can be done within sensible limits. It's the longer term investment that really pays dividends, as we saw only too well with the careful, structured planning of the Curbs era.

Winning seven in every nine next season would be bloody marvellous, albeit extremely unlikely. Yet if transfer activity over the summer leaves the squad close to the quality we have now, Luzon has already shown he can motivate the current players. If and when levels inevitably dip again it might be time to judge the shortcomings as we would in any other circumstances on footballing issues, rather than on the over-riding issue of whether the network model is working - IF we can see progress being made and lessons still being learned.
  • Options

Hi all,

The interview has been changed online now (and hopefully in the final version of today's Standard) as there was a misunderstanding relating to the section on Fulham. Katrien didn't say there was any interest in purchasing Fulham before the takeover at Charlton.

--> http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/katrien-meire-ive-had-frightening-abuse-from-charlton-fans-but-i-love-leading-role-10131362.html

IL

How did the Standard confuse Fulham with Ipswich? : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We moaned about a lack of communication, she's communicating. Progress is good
  • Options
    I take the interview with a pinch of salt. Slow newsday due to no football this week, lets go interview a good looking CEO.

I will be more impressed with her if we keep a manager/coach longer than the 3 they have sacked and on the playing staff, who stays and who go's.
    That said, I want her to suceed. If she does the football should be more enjoyable than some of tripe we've been served in recent years.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

She says that incident had been preceded by “a lot of hate emails saying we were ruining the club, that we didn’t know what we were doing”.

I wonder why she doesn't bother replying ?

You wonder why someone someone doesn't respond to hate mail? Is that a serious question?

• Options
    edited March 2015
    "When I ask why didn’t you buy Fulham she laughs and then says: “At the time I think the price was a bit too high, they were still in the Premier League. Also the idea is to have clubs at different levels."

Well there you have it... proof that Roland doesn't care about us getting promoted...
  • Options

"When I ask why didn’t you buy Fulham she laughs and then says: “At the time I think the price was a bit too high, they were still in the Premier League. Also the idea is to have clubs at different levels."

Well there you have it... proof that Roland doesn't care about us getting promoted...

I read as having different levels of 'standard' and condition - not just buying clubs in good condition , hence the part about not being able to repair the ovens
  • Options

I think I'm more surprised that the Standard have a feature on the CEO of a club they normally treat as if it doesn't exist.

So what have we learnt.

Some board members in football are still sexist and don't bother to find out who is visiting them

Being screamed at while on your own can be "frightening" despite many on here defending it

Roland ain't going to talk to us as he's too busy making more money.

LM got a lot of abusive emails (although I still think she should respond to the non-abusive ones)

The budget is the third lowest in the Championship but we spent £4 on player acquisitions this year (assume that means YE June 15)

The spivs had run out of money and were letting the club fall apart as some of us were saying at the time.

I imagine the £4m (I presume you didn't mean £4 :smile: ) refers to what was revealed in last year's accounts, unless we've spent £8m since they took over.

Yeah we've not learned much, but then it's not as if the Standard writes anything for Charlton supporters. She comes across well again, and (whilst I wish she'd stop telling us we don't get it) she's certainly putting a good positive message out there. It probably helps it's against a background of a run of form, of course.

As for Powell, there's a bit of a mixed message there - either it's the results or it isn't - but I think the key thing to take away is that it wasn't working between CP and RD. She's right, it's a key relationship and there's only one possible outcome if it's not working.

The more she's talking out in the open the better I think.
  • Options

Thought struck me as well. Would prefer interpretation that says lower level clubs have scope for good returns, bigger clubs provide resources.
  • Options

Hi all,

IL

How did the Standard confuse Fulham with Ipswich? : - )
    I wouldn't read the standard even if it was free.