Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FILM. NEXT GOAL WINS.

Hi. For anyone that gets sick and tired of all the high profile premier league and world stars that moan and groan of being tired because of having 2 play 2 games a week, please take an hour and a half to sit down and watch a film called next goal wins. It is based on the American samoan national team that in 2001 lost an international 31-0 to Australia. The film centres around them rebuilding after this terrible result. They hire a little known dutch coach named Thomas rogne who leads them into their 2014 world cup qualifying campaign. Having not won a game or even scored a goal in there 21 year history of fifa competition watch and be in ore of their passion and commitment to their country as they try and rise from the very bottom of the fifa world rankings. First ten or so minutes is quite slow but stick with this film and you will have your belief back in football again.

Comments

• Sorry forgot to add this is currently showing on now tv and sky movies.
  • Was there a book written about this ? Sure I read something similar a few years back.
  • Not sure about the book but would be interested now that I have seen the film
  • This was the book - not about Samoa but the same concept, was really interesting;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/184668501X/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/187-5011484-9234708
  • Wow, thanks @tajaddick really enjoyed that.

On Sky movies on demand. Thoroughly recommend.
  • And if you love the simplicity and character of what football truly is about, you'll love this
  • Crazy... I've always had an interest in American Samoa since their heavy defeat against Australia and was only on Wikipedia the other day when I saw that this documentary had been made, was wondering how I could see it so thanks for the heads up it being on Sky Movies
  • Just watched this on sky and thought it was brilliant. If you get a chance to watch it then do it.
  • Just watched it and it's great. Couldn't actually believe how bad the standard is, but it goes to show how much players can improve even at that level with correct training and organisation.

Excellent film.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just finished watching it, really enjoyed it.
  • The bsst thing is they are winning matches now... think they won their first World Cup Qualifier for Brazil 2014
  • Cracked up when the first coach had a rant at half time and said "I might not be fluent in Samoan but I know enough to know that you all talk shit!"
  • Really enjoyed that. At first, I thought that the trans gender (jiani?) was there as a gimmick and publicity. However, as the programme wore on, it became apparent that she was there on merit and seemed to be fully accepted by her team-mates and fellow countrymen. It's a real pity that she would never be accepted in football in 99% of countries and that would be nothing to do with ability.

Credit has to go to the coach for turning their fortunes around...........
  • what teams runs up the score like that ! Aussie wanchors! They should have played keep ball after 8 or 9!
  • The very talented Taika Waititi -also directs- and Iain Morris have co-written a screenplay, The film is due out later in the year.
  • PopIcon said:
    The very talented Taika Waititi -also directs- and Iain Morris have co-written a screenplay, The film is due out later in the year.
    Yeah will have Michael Fassbender staring... that Transgender (cant remember what they're called in Samoa, as they're not called that) player also has a role, so guess they'll be playing themselves
  • Just watched this - fucking awesome - had a lump in my throat (won’t spoil it) - yeah, this is why football is the greatest sport in the world 

WATCH THIS (it’s on Sky for free - no doubt on Netflix as well)
  • Forgotten about this absolute gem of a film. Do watch it if you get a chance 
  • an absolute gem of a film
  • Sponsored links:

• This is my film.  I'm glad you like it.   It's available on Sky Documentary and Amazon Prime.
  • Just watched it on the recommendations here. Fabulous!