Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Eclipse

2»

Comments

• MrOneLung said:

So we are saying Millwall are 400 times bigger than Charlton.....

At the same time you could say that the Sun is just thicker in size than the moon so in that sense... Yes Millwall are 400 times thicker than Charlton
  • Oggy Red said:

dark, eerie, clear skies over Lincolnshire .. like the calm before a major storm ..
    the birds (winged variety) are flying around in apparent confusion .. where's the sun gone

Same down here in Sunny Cornwall ......... the sun looked like a fiery version of a crescent moon, the birds started singing their bedtime songs and we got a sort of twilight.

Stunning seeing the deer silhouetted against the light, on the brow of the hill in front of my cottage.

In 1999 we had the total eclipse down here in Cornwall. Proper darkness rolling in for 10 minutes at 11 o'clock in the morning.
    Completely surreal.

Looks like I might miss the next total eclipse, though.
    Not due until 2090. I'll be long pushing up the daisies by then.

There's a partial one in 2026. Or a total one if you're on summer holiday in parts of Spain!
  • something to tell the grandkids about..

Be more interesting than my history following Charlton
  • You would of seen a better eclipse this morning when I bent down to tie my shoe laces!

What a let down. Just another excuse for the bleeding obvious brigade to come out with pearls of wisdom like, "don't stare directly into the Sun with any magnification..."

• It looked pretty good here (up north)
  • Bit of a none event in London sadly my two little granddaughters will be massively disappointed as they went into school early to watch it. Can't do anything about the weather at least they get another chance in 2026
  • Bit of a none event in London sadly my two little granddaughters will be massively disappointed as they went into school early to watch it. Can't do anything about the weather at least they get another chance in 2026

2026 is only a partial, I'm giving it a miss, there's a full eclipse in 2090.
  • edited March 2015
    I suggest everyone makes the most of it. As explained by the great Brian Cock on Stargazing Live, the Moon is moving away from the earth about 15,000 sillimetres a year and in 14 squillion years you will not be able to see an eclipse as the alignments will have altered and it will be in deep space with the cast of Space 1999 marooned on it!
  • Couldn't be bothered to watch it live this morning due to the cloud cover. So I'm going to watch it now on iplayer it should be really good because the sun's out now and we'll all be able to see it.

Can't understand why the BBC didn't arrange it around lunchtime anyway.

• Sponsored links:

• Here in sunny Macclesfield it was stunning. 1500 school kids and 200 staff out on the tennis courts and artificial pitch watching an amazing moment in time. It went darker and colder and the wonders of the universe was there for all to see.
  • edited March 2015
    Beautiful clear sky in Shropshire here's a view of the eclipse through the trees behind my house in the hills. https://flic.kr/p/rEySJE
  • Here in sunny Macclesfield it was stunning. 1500 school kids and 200 staff out on the tennis courts and artificial pitch watching an amazing moment in time. It went darker and colder and the wonders of the universe was there for all to see.

I was just up the road from you in Alderley Edge, stunning there also :)

• Shrew said:

Beautiful clear sky in Shropshire here's a view of the eclipse through the trees behind my house in the hills. https://flic.kr/p/rEySJE

Good photo. Almost abstract.

• It's only a shadow...
  • "Lights starting to go now,
    Yes its getting quite murky
    Shame!
    Can barely see a glass in front of your face....
    The sands of time are starting to run out for this plucky eclipse"

Monty Python 1970s
  • Cloudy in Spain. i built a pinhole camera with my daughter, but thanks to the cloud cover, we got five minutes at the end when there was just a slice of sun missing.
    Total eclipse here in 2026? Bring it on.

PS The photo above is great.
  • Just found out the 2026 eclipse comes very close to Barcelona. We get 99.8% darkness!!!!! FFS, for the sake of a couple of kms, we miss totality (Total eclipse in La Coruña, Valladolid, Zaragoza and Valencia, so I reckon I may jump on a train to one of the last two.)
    looking forward to it already.
  • Hopefully the hotels etc won't be too ridiculous and I might try to arrange a family holiday in Spain at the same time!
  • August 12th. From what I've Heard about other eclipses, i imagine they'll be sold out at sky high prices.