Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tom Ince is a plum

Turned down the call up for the U21 squad. Wtf???? Here is yet another step over wannabe, who has done very little of substance in his career, yet thinks he's the dogs bollocks and doesn't have to do his time climbing the ladder. I can't see it any differently. Can't be fatigue, he's only started playing regularly since Jan. Just reminds me of about 100 kids I used to go to school with, step overs, tricks. None of them are playing professional football now. We've seen our share over the years, Lloyd Sam for one. Yet another thing that's narced me in the past few days.........

Comments

• Maybe his manager has told him no ...... and he's been promised a fat contract contract at Derby, if they get promoted to the Prem ?

• Apparently he wants to concentrate on his form for Derby.

It just goes to show the complete lack of interest young players now have to England. It's all about the Premiership and a few more quid.

I'm starting to sound like an old man but turning down England at any level really fucks me off.

That's exactly my thoughts. It might sound like I'm on a rant given the other thread about money in the game, but they've got to respect the national team. I genuinely don't know what's going through his head. Does he think his brief patch of form for Derby in the Championship means Roy's going to give a call up?

His logic about concentrating on his game for Derby is pathetic. Look at Harry Kane. Jumping at the chance to be playing with the U21s in the summer, even though he could now become a full time regular. And this is a man who's actually had a good season, not just a few goals in a loan spell
  • I would imagine that Shteve would encourage players to get involved in the England teams (senior and below).

I personally don't think you should have a choice, if you are called up you turn up or you are ineligible for a set amount of time /games
  • The FA need to man up and tell him he has to be involved. U21 teams, especially in tournaments, are excellent in preparing players for international football. Just look at Germany.
  • edited March 2015
    Plenty of other talented players to take the opportunity instead I'm sure.

Like the others said... if he's not willing to play for the U21s, he shouldn't be given the opportunity to progress to the Senior squad.

Most of us grow up dreaming of playing football for England.. How people can then turn that down is sickening.
  • I don't understand players turning down at any level Ince, Shelvey. They could further their experience and ability to compete against foreign teams when they get to full level.
  • Tbf people would only moan if he was called up for the full England squad just like Townsend in the current squad. Not defending it but people do love a moan about the England team.
  • I don't really see the issue. I mean, come on, we are talking about the enormous Derby County. How could any one put playing for England above their form for this extra ordinarily large and important football club. Tom Ince. Legend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good to see the CL Stepover Police are finally branching out to other club's players
  • Like father, like son, too big for their boots.

Paul Ince was the bloke who demanded people call him 'the Guvnor' after all.

And then sat with his back to goal while his teammates took penalties vs Argentina in the World Cup.
  • buckshee said:

So people are digging out Tom Ince (23 years old) for turning down the England U21s ? If only Adam Johnson had turned down something he was too old for.

Bit of an unfair comparison that don't you think?
    Committing and alleged crime (innocent until proved guilty remember) and turning down the U21's is completely different.
  • He won't be missed, simple just never pick him again at any level of international football
  • cafc999 said:

buckshee said:

So people are digging out Tom Ince (23 years old) for turning down the England U21s ? If only Adam Johnson had turned down something he was too old for.

Bit of an unfair comparison that don't you think?
    Committing and alleged crime (innocent until proved guilty remember) and turning down the U21's is completely different.
    Wasn't meant seriously I'm sure.

Word-for-word what I was going to say!
  • Not sure how the concentrating on his club is relevant to pulling out of the Euro U21 championship in the summer.

Has not made it at Prem. Level and now been shipped out of Liverpool, Palarse and Hull so maybe not as good as he would like to think.
  • Most over rated midfielder in the country, his career choices have been totally predictable this far and his choice this time is contemptuous

Won't need to worry about his place in the full squad as he will never be good enough
  • Sponsored links:

• What is it with famous footballing fathers whose dopey kids end up in the business: Ince; Poyet; even the fruitloop offspring of Captain Peacock has become a god botherer.

And then sat with his back to goal while his teammates took penalties vs Argentina in the World Cup.
    At least he took one then, even if he missed.

Bottled Euro 96 v Germany!!
  • ValleyGaryValleyGary Member
    The FA need to man up and tell him he has to be involved. U21 teams, especially in tournaments, are excellent in preparing players for international football. Just look at Germany

I disagree I'm afraid, whether its England, Charlton or any team in the Country, I want only players who are thrilled to be playing and appreciate the opportunity.
  • Hate to say but Tom Ince has already been confirmed as well over 21 so why was Gareth Southgate trying to pick him, surely he should be at the fore-front for not doing his research first
  • Oggy Red said:

Maybe his manager has told him no ...... and he's been promised a fat contract contract at Derby, if they get promoted to the Prem ?McClaren does not want another

This is probably the case .. the Umbrella chappie, after his experiences as an FA fall guy possibly has little love for the England set up .. also McClaren definitely does not want another failure in the play offs .. a t m, Ince is his most consistent striker and Derby strikers are dropping like flies with injury .. I am in favour of England doing well of course, but there must be some selection sense and compromise at this important stage of the season for clubs striving for titles and promotion
  • What's the rule that allows us to pick a 23 year old?

In any event you tell someone who turns you down that they won't be picked again so as Southgate said, good luck with your career.
  • Correction to myself and someone else who said that Tom Ince by being 23 years old is too old to represent the U21s...

To be eligible for the campaign ending in 2015, players need to be born in or after 1992. Many can be actually 23 years old by the time the finals tournament takes place; however, when the qualification process began (late 2013) all players would have been 21 or under

Tom was born in January 1992 so IS eligible to play for the U21s still... Which as a rule just sounds stupid
  • Correction to myself and someone else who said that Tom Ince by being 23 years old is too old to represent the U21s...

To be eligible for the campaign ending in 2015, players need to be born in or after 1992. Many can be actually 23 years old by the time the finals tournament takes place; however, when the qualification process began (late 2013) all players would have been 21 or under

Tom was born in January 1992 so IS eligible to play for the U21s still... Which as a rule just sounds stupid

Not sure I agree there, Forever.

As you yourself quoted, "when the qualification process began (late 2013) all players would have been 21 or under".

IMO it's fair that U21 teams are able to play their strongest team throughout the entire competition.
    Otherwise perhaps, their regular outstanding goalkeeper or their star goalscorer is no longer eligible midway through the competition.

Anyway, all U21 teams in the competition signed up to the terms and conditions beforehand - so it is the same and fair for all teams.

• Know what you mean there Oggy but maybe thats the problem with the English game... As English we seem to take the approach that we've got to win at all costs, maybe if they changed the rules to:

Once you go over U21 am sorry you cant play for the U21 side.

Yes it means that you may lose your star Striker or outstanding Goalkeeper but it ensures that more opportunities are given to kids to try and impress on the big stage and that winning competitions until you get to a Senior Squad (International and Club level) is nothing more than a side show