Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Be careful what you wish for

I don't know. playoffs and relegation both remote. Unlikely to see any signings for months and months if at all. Being a fan based on remote shores I can't get excited by any stadium improvements or other such developments in the off season. Will someone please tell me what I can look forward to (Millwall and/or Palace relegation notwithstanding ) in the next 6-8 months?

Comments

• Who says we won't sign anyone in the summer?
  • Rossman92 said:

Who says we won't sign anyone in the summer?

Well we might but Can't see RD flashing the cash in a major way - doesn't appear to be his style (not a criticism necessarily - just not expecting any headline signings)
  • I'm sure there will be a number of signings. There are a few players out if contract, and we are very low on strikers. Hopefully Eagles and Johnson pen permanent deals. Buyens on either another loan or perm would be good.

I've been one of the very critical ones towards Roly and Luzon. But of late things seem to have evened out and even look more positive.

I think that with the current squad and a couple more additions there is a lot to look forward to.
  • We'll sign some people in the summer. One thing we've done since RD has taken over is reinforce every window. The quality of those reinforcements is the question, but hopefully lessons have been learned (recent signings have certainly been better). We'll get 4-5 of which I hope 2-3 will be good enough.

And for the love of god let us sign a decent number 9.
  • Addicted said:

We'll sign some people in the summer. One thing we've done since RD has taken over is reinforce every window. The quality of those reinforcements is the question, but hopefully lessons have been learned (recent signings have certainly been better). We'll get 4-5 of which I hope 2-3 will be good enough.

And for the love of god let us sign a decent number 9.

You need 4 strikers in the championship to finish in the top 6.
    Burnley got away with 3 because they had Danny Ings,Sam Volks and Ashley Barnes who came in for the last 3 months.

if my old mum knows this, and 80% of CAFC fans know it,
    They is no debate to have ?

Tony Watt needs the ball to his feet, Not to his head.( let's not waste his talent)
    Igor Vetokele is decent in the air but is only 5ft 9" needs to work on 1st touch.
    Target hold up strong number 9, for plan B, (should have 1 strikers who is great in air)
    Maybe Aherne -Grant(next season ?) or new striker with bags of pace.

This will only happen if the price is Right and we take a punt on someone.

• Ansah is the answer.
  • I've never understood this "Be careful what you wish for" saying. It's right up there with the bleedin' elephant in the room as coming form nowhere to be one of the most over used phrases ever. It's not as if our lives are controlled by some maleviolent genie who's intent on reading our minds and twisting our wishes to deliver something we didn't want but hadn't considered. Or is it?
  • I don't know. playoffs and relegation both remote. Unlikely to see any signings for months and months if at all. Being a fan based on remote shores I can't get excited by any stadium improvements or other such developments in the off season. Will someone please tell me what I can look forward to (Millwall and/or Palace relegation notwithstanding ) in the next 6-8 months?

Well seeing that it's March, we won't see any signings for 2 to 3 months I'd agree, but then Chelsea and Man U won't be signing anyone for a few months either
  • edited March 2015
    Maybe we should wait for the season to finish and transfer window opens again before the hate campaigns resume ? A glass half full supporter would see the last few signings and notice the tide has turned
  • Sponsored links:

• Rossman92 said:

Well we might but Can't see RD flashing the cash in a major way - doesn't appear to be his style (not a criticism necessarily - just not expecting any headline signings)
    have you not heard of Vetokele and Watt? Neither came cheap.

• Stig said:

I've never understood this "Be careful what you wish for" saying. It's right up there with the bleedin' elephant in the room as coming form nowhere to be one of the most over used phrases ever. It's not as if our lives are controlled by some maleviolent genie who's intent on reading our minds and twisting our wishes to deliver something we didn't want but hadn't considered. Or is it?

Blimey Stig, "Who's rattled your cage?" ...
  • I'm sure there will be a number of signings. There are a few players out if contract, and we are very low on strikers. Hopefully Eagles and Johnson pen permanent deals. Buyens on either another loan or perm would be good.

I've been one of the very critical ones towards Roly and Luzon. But of late things seem to have evened out and even look more positive.

I think that with the current squad and a couple more additions there is a lot to look forward to.

Think you'll find we have about 12 out of contract come the end of this season, so there is going to be a lot of negotiations going on in the next few months.
  • ignoring the loans, who is out of contract? I can think of :

TBH - keep
    Etheridge - goodbye
    Wilson - already been told he can go
    Church - goodbye
    Onyewu - goodbye
    Eagles - keep
    Johnson - keep
    Bikey - goodbye

who else?
  • agree with that Large, but I'd keep Bikey personally
  • ignoring the loans, who is out of contract? I can think of :

TBH - keep
    Etheridge - goodbye
    Church - goodbye
    Onyewu - goodbye
    Eagles - keep
    Johnson - keep
    Bikey - goodbye

who else?

Isn't Bikey on a 2-year contract?
  • Yes, Bikey is on two years.

Buyens?
    Bulot?
  • Feel Bikey is getting a raw deal from fans especially as he was a brick early in the season.
    Johnson had an appalling game at the weekend and his lack of pace is always going to be a weakness which costs us goals.Jacko would skin him!

Think you'll find we have about 12 out of contract come the end of this season, so there is going to be a lot of negotiations going on in the next few months.
    12 -Didn't realise it was that many. As you say, lot of negotiations to take place.

I'll be looking forward to what news Colin passes on.
  • edited March 2015

Rossman92 said:

Aside from the signings at Charlton (mentioned above) M.Duchatelet spent c.£10m on new players at Liege together with some loans. This after cashing in on €25m for five players.

He clearly doesn't sign cheques for €5m+ but he has acquired a lot of platers for €1-2m over the years... Including Tony Watt and George Tucudean.

As in every close season we will first see which players are retained. I see 12 mentioned but I suspect Wilson and Church are gone? In terms of first team regulars the focus is then on Bulot, Buyens and Ben Haim. That leaves anout seven keepers of which we are bound to keep four.

As per last summer we might then see a couple of loans from Liege... And then some signings and free agents in June/July.

It is the calibre of the new signings which will determine our ambition for 2015-16.

• Sponsored links:

• Rossman92 said:

Aside from the signings at Charlton (mentioned above) M.Duchatelet spent c.£10m on new players at Liege together with some loans. This after cashing in on €25m for five players.

He clearly doesn't sign cheques for €5m+ but he has acquired a lot of platers for €1-2m over the years... Including Tony Watt and George Tucudean.

As in every close season we will first see which players are retained. I see 12 mentioned but I suspect Wilson and Church are gone? In terms of first team regulars the focus is then on Bulot, Buyens and Ben Haim. That leaves anout seven keepers of which we are bound to keep four.

As per last summer we might then see a couple of loans from Liege... And then some signings and free agents in June/July.

It is the calibre of the new signings which will determine our ambition for 2015-16.

not nearly enough
  • shine166 said:

Maybe we should wait for the season to finish and transfer window opens again before the hate campaigns resume ? A glass half full supporter would see the last few signings and notice the tide has turned

Not a hater mate . I'll stick my head above the parapet (oh sh1t! Stig I've used another figure of speech) and say I was on the fence from the start (damn again!)
  • Stig said:

I've never understood this "Be careful what you wish for" saying. It's right up there with the bleedin' elephant in the room as coming form nowhere to be one of the most over used phrases ever. It's not as if our lives are controlled by some maleviolent genie who's intent on reading our minds and twisting our wishes to deliver something we didn't want but hadn't considered. Or is it?

Blimey Stig, "Who's rattled your cage?" ...
    The Elephant he keeps ignoring :wink:
  • Now is the time to try out other players .For that reason results will be hit and miss.As for the closed season players will come and go.But as for The Big Push i would not hold your breath.

12 -Didn't realise it was that many. As you say, lot of negotiations to take place.

I'll be looking forward to what news Colin passes on.
    Would not be surprised if Buyens, Bulot, Johnson and E***** are not with us for the start of next season. I hope I'm wrong as they could make a big difference to our season.
  • edited March 2015

ignoring the loans, who is out of contract? I can think of :

TBH - keep
    Etheridge - goodbye
    Church - goodbye
    Onyewu - goodbye
    Eagles - keep
    Johnson - keep

who else?

Diarra Keep.
    Buyens. Goodbye
    Bulot. Keep

Makes 10.

Lots of kids too but if they have not made the break through this year and their contract is ending it seems unlikely they will I guess (Although Muldoon has proved this wrong to an extent).
  • I don't know. playoffs and relegation both remote. Unlikely to see any signings for months and months if at all. Being a fan based on remote shores I can't get excited by any stadium improvements or other such developments in the off season. Will someone please tell me what I can look forward to (Millwall and/or Palace relegation notwithstanding ) in the next 6-8 months?

How about looking forward to us reaching our sales target?