Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Watt awaiting Scotland Call-Up

Disappointed to see Tony Watt is missing from the Scotland squads for Northern Ireland and Gibraltar matches coming up. I thought he had a shout. Certainly think we has more of a case than Steven May (Sheff Wed) and even Ross McCormack. His time will come.

Comments

• Watt's past is still catching up with him I'm afraid. He is easily better than May and to my mind would make a superb partnership with/be a direct alternative to McCormack. However, he is not slumming it with us for no reason. You cannot estimate the size of the cloud he left Scotland under and he will need to do what he's doing and be a very good boy indeed for some considerable time before he gets another shout. I believe and hope he will, but don't hold your breath.
  • any idea what he did to be sold to SL ???
  • Massive attitude problems (allegedly) at Celtic and with the Scotland under 21s. Otherwise moderate and reasonable managers have been very vocal indeed about how big a pain in the arse he was. Open in a way that managers are not normally.
  • Fuck them, he's a charlton boy now
  • The 25 goals he'll score for us next season will force Strachan's hand!
  • edited March 2015
    If Scotland leave it too long, he will get a call up by the Republic, he doesn't wear 32 for nothing.
  • He's only just 21.

Still quite young for a full cap.

His time will come.

• Doesn't fit in with the way Scotland are playing at the moment and there are players that have been on the fringes alot longer who will get their chance first (n Ireland is a friendly)

Personally would have been very surprised if he had been included in this sqaud.
  • edited March 2015
    Reckon I may get lynched for this but Tony Watt is a flair player... the silky skills that he produced against Forest were good but Blackburn proved how easy it is to contain that side of him.

In terms of shooting he's got some good goals but in the same vein he's been really wasteful as well, again especially v Blackburn when he went 1v1 with the Goalkeeper and snatched it wide, know everyone had an off day on Satudday but had that been Tucudean or Pigott god help them.

Thats for me why he's being over-looked by Scotland at the moment, he has potential and is class, he's still just a bit raw at the moment
  • If Scotland leave it too long, he will get a call up by the Republic, he doesn't wear 32 for nothing.

You're going to have to help me with this one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Uboat said:

If Scotland leave it too long, he will get a call up by the Republic, he doesn't wear 32 for nothing.

32 counties in Ireland, 6 in the north and 26 in the republic. The suggestion is that he associates with Irish Nationalists who would want the whole island (all 32 counties) united.

Can't find any reason online for him always having that number. If that is the reason, it's a bit pathetic. It's a squad number, not a political statement.

I don't think that's the reason why he has the number. If it was the reason, it probably would have emerged while he was at Celtic.
  • IA said:

Uboat said:

32 counties in Ireland, 6 in the north and 26 in the republic. The suggestion is that he associates with Irish Nationalists who would want the whole island (all 32 counties) united.

Can't find any reason online for him always having that number. If that is the reason, it's a bit pathetic. It's a squad number, not a political statement.

I don't think that's the reason why he has the number. If it was the reason, it probably would have emerged while he was at Celtic.
    I thought he had stuck with that no. as its the one he had when scoring against Barcelona - but I could be wrong. And as he was at Celtic at the time I don't know why he was given/chose that no. to start with.
  • He's only just started scoring again, think he'll get a cap before the end of the year if he carries on the last 6 weeks though. Also would like him to stay under the radar for the moment!
  • Tony is only 21, has only just established himself with us and I think he needs to get a good season or two under his belt before we start thinking about international call ups. I see Matt Richie of Bournemouth has been called into the Scots squad but he was Player of the Year Awards in Leagues 1 and 2 (in 2013 and 2012 respectively) and has been outstanding in the Championship in the last two seasons. In addition, as Addicted says, it is perhaps better to try and keep Tony under the radar for the present time (not that it's easy with goalscorers) - apart from other clubs testing Roland's resolve with offers, it will probably help the player's development.
  • Enjoy Watt why you can, he will probably implode at some stage. Ravel Morrison springs to mind.
  • IA said:

Uboat said:

I thought he had stuck with that no. as its the one he had when scoring against Barcelona - but I could be wrong. And as he was at Celtic at the time I don't know why he was given/chose that no. to start with.
    I think that would be the reason....
  • Reckon I may get lynched for this but Tony Watt is a flair player... the silky skills that he produced against Forest were good but Blackburn proved how easy it is to contain that side of him.

In terms of shooting he's got some good goals but in the same vein he's been really wasteful as well, again especially v Blackburn when he went 1v1 with the Goalkeeper and snatched it wide, know everyone had an off day on Satudday but had that been Tucudean or Pigott god help them.

Thats for me why he's being over-looked by Scotland at the moment, he has potential and is class, he's still just a bit raw at the moment

I'm not sure they really contained even that side of the game, he got in some great positions in including the byline twice using his unique skill for beating a man with one touch, he also set Igor up for a great chance and as you''ve mentioned missed a one on one, as a whole in a poor team performance if he can still do that whilst not at his best then Scotland are fools for not trying to at least make sure he doesn't change alligences like James McCarthy did.
  • masicat said:

Enjoy Watt why you can, he will probably implode at some stage. Ravel Morrison springs to mind.

Reckon I may get lynched for this but Tony Watt is a flair player... the silky skills that he produced against Forest were good but Blackburn proved how easy it is to contain that side of him.In terms of shooting he's got some good goals but in the same vein he's been really wasteful as well, again especially v Blackburn when he went 1v1 with the Goalkeeper and snatched it wide, know everyone had an off day on Satudday but had that been Tucudean or Pigott god help them.

I was feeling all optimistic about our future with Tony Watt :-(
  • edited March 2015
    After six games or so Igor was marked by two players, Rotherham away was the first i noticed. Blackburn who kept the internationals of Liverpool quiet were the 1st side to tackle well against tony Watt. Flair players like Tony will have some games where it won't come off, if you don't understand that, i feel sorry for you.

I'm pleased that Watt did not get a call up, as he need's to focus on his league career at the moment, and at 21 could still hit the heights, (would be superb if with CAFC)
  • IA said:

Uboat said:

Yes that's probably the reason. Like I said, I don't think Tony is making a political statement with his shirt number.

I think it's a joke from Guinessaddick, I was just explaining it to Uboat
  • Sponsored links:

• It's players who ask for 18 that you need to be wary of.
  • Uboat said:

It's players who ask for 18 that you need to be wary of.

And those that change their name by deed poll to Osama Bin Laden
  • Uboat said:

It's players who ask for 18 that you need to be wary of.

And those that change their name by deed poll to Osama Bin Laden
    And alternate their shirt number between 9/11.

• Not much of the Scotland squad play in Scotland, that shows just how bad the league has become!!!
  • barstool said:

Not much of the Scotland squad play in Scotland, that shows just how bad the league has become! always has been