Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SOUTH EASTERN TRAINS RESUME

Comments

• Options
    some people do panic!!!

the same thing happened a few years back, everything was back to normal by about 1pm. the trains ran through up to london bridge slowly. but going home was fine.

actually, they were better than fine because so many people in a panic left early they were empty so everyone that did a normal day had 4 seats each and no one stood. lahvley.
  • Options
    don't tell ya boss and just use it as an excuse to go early anyway....
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well I don't think it's nesessarily panic. If you look at the infomation given out this morning by both SE Trains themselves (My driver said no trains tomorrow) and the BBC, it is understandable that people do get worked up.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited April 2007
    Surely Dave, with your knowledge of commuting on trains, you know that the majority of the time the rail station staff speak a very good form of bollocks
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    they probably tell people the worse case scenario so they don't get complaints for incorrect information. I'm as annoyed as the next person when the trains fail to run on time for no apparent reason, but evidentally there was/is nothing the train co's can do about what has happened today, and i'm sure they're doing all they can to get the trains back on track. (no pun intended)

no need to start worrying about being 'stranded' in london untill at least 4ish, when things will have calmed down, I know so many people that haven't come in because they didn't want to be stuck?! what? they make it sound like london is the end of the world and its impossible.
  • Options
    when i got to Dartford this morning (7am) i asked if there were going to be any trains and they didnt have a clue.

I then went and asked a cabbie how much it would cost to get a cab to Charing Cross (i was with a colleague) and the cheeky fecker said £90.

I said "you obviously know the trains are down" and he replied "do you want the f'in cab or not".

Cheers
  • Options
    WSS it wouldnt have been 90 quid by the time you had gotten there if the lower road was anything to go by... would have been pointless. a cab to north greenwich now that woudl have been a better question.
  • Options
    Traffic to north greenwich was at a stand still when I went (about 9ish) so would have taken just as long.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Not been on the coaches this week, but apparently it's been chaos thanks to the tidal flow not being run in the Blackwall Tunnel. Another shrewd move by Red Ken....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Not been on the coaches this week, but apparently it's been chaos thanks to the tidal flow not being run in the Blackwall Tunnel. Another shrewd move by Red Ken....

That's permanent too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2007
    So I hear. Great timing what with the reduced car park capacity at North Greenwich....
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite] Surely Dave, with your knowledge of commuting on trains, you know that the majority of the time the rail station staff speak a very good form of bollocks

Oi! You calling me a spotter????
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yep I can confirm the fact the the A2 has been a total GIT this week!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate TFL and Red Ken!!

Mx
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Theres another car park round the back, that you can get into for free, not had any complaints yet ;)
  • Options
    Theres another car park round the back, that you can get into for free, not had any complaints yet ;)

Really? Where?
  • Options
    the tunnel tidal flow has been suspended because of a spate of fatalities
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Don't wind me up on this one! Had several arguments with people from TFL over this... complete muppets the lot of them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]There's another car park round the back, that you can get into for free, not had any complaints yet ;)

Really? Where?

If you come of the A2 towards the station and right, as if you was going to the main car park, go past the car park, then down the 'No Entry - TFL Buses Only' part, there is a disabled car park, behind that there is another car park, I'm not at all saying you are *allowed* to park there, nor am I saying you wont get a ticket/clamp/your entire car towed away, I'm just saying I've used it on the few times I haven't parked in the disabled car park and never had a problem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]the tunnel tidal flow has been suspended because of a spate of fatalities
    No, it's 6 accidents in 3 years - none of them fatal as far as I'm aware. There has supposedly been an increase in "near misses" though as it's a "miss" and nothing actually happens - who reports it? TfL and the Met Police said it was a joint decision on safety grounds, but they're now blaming each other.

This all just creates enough congestion to introduce a Greenwich congestion charge which will likely include the A2 across the heath and the A102M tunnel approach.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Not been on the coaches this week, but apparently it's been chaos thanks to the tidal flow not being run in the Blackwall Tunnel. Another shrewd move by Red Ken....

About time, it's a nightmare coming South, but they've evened it up ... hurrah
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can someone explain to me what this tital flow business is about as regards to the tunnell?? i keep on hearing they stopped it, but not sure what it means!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]Can someone explain to me what this tital flow business is about as regards to the tunnell?? i keep on hearing they stopped it, but not sure what it means!!
    In the morning rush hour, the southbound tunnel used to be 2-way for 2 or 3 periods of about 30 minutes to ease the queues for the northbound tunnel.

They could do this because it's alot straighter than the northbound with no tight bends.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]Can someone explain to me what this tital flow business is about as regards to the tunnell?? i keep on hearing they stopped it, but not sure what it means!!
    In the morning rush hour, the southbound tunnel used to be 2-way for 2 or 3 periods of about 30 minutes to ease the queues for the northbound tunnel.

They could do this because it's alot straighter than the northbound with no tight bends.

i thought that was called contraflow? whats contraflow then?
  • Options
    I assume they call it tidal flow, because the direction of traffic in that lane changes depending on whether the "tide" of traffic is mainly from north to south or south to north. So sometimes it's the usual flow (north to south) and some times it's a contraflow lane (going in the opposite direction to what you'd expect - ie South to North)
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite] If you come of the A2 towards the station and right, as if you was going to the main car park, go past the car park, then down the 'No Entry - TFL Buses Only' part, there is a disabled car park, behind that there is another car park, I'm not at all saying you are *allowed* to park there, nor am I saying you wont get a ticket/clamp/your entire car towed away, I'm just saying I've used it on the few times I haven't parked in the disabled car park and never had a problem.

Stu, disabled parking is what it says on the tin. Shame on you.
  • Options
    The only reason I drive to the station in because my Dad needs a lift, he can't walk more than 20 yards as he is disabled, so I'm more than entitled to park there. No shame here ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]The only reason I drive to the station in because my Dad needs a lift, he can't walk more than 20 yards as he is disabled, so I'm more than entitled to park there. No shame here ;)
    But do you have a Blue Badge?
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]The only reason I drive to the station in because my Dad needs a lift, he can't walk more than 20 yards as he is disabled, so I'm more than entitled to park there. No shame here ;)

I don't, my Dad does, that is used in my car when he travels with me. Also get congestion charge exemption, not that I'd ever risk my life by driving in London
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]

I don't, my Dad does, that is used in my car when he travels with me. Also get congestion charge exemption, not that I'd ever risk my life by driving in London
    Then it's all perfectly legal. :o)