Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Atmosphere at the Blackburn game..

Is it just me or was the atmosphere quieter than usual in the second half, I know we were losing but that never usually stops us singing...

Comments

• Not just you. Thought it was subdued throughout. Felt there was a kind of submission feeling...
  • Not only were the players on the beach the fans were too. Some games are like that.
  • Mystified. After all Blackburn are a big draw, the game a keenly anticipated mid table tussle. 2nd tier English football, what a draw.
  • 14,800 ....the crowds are dwindling
  • One or two folk on the post-match views thread have remarked on a flat atmosphere, yet strangely I thought it was distinctly festive. More seats than usual around us in the Lower North were occupied, and for the ten minutes before kick-off there was an rare relaxed buzz of anticipation. I put this down to the assembly of legends on the pitch, the fine spring weather - and crucially the satisfaction of our winning streak. Even the chap next to me, notoriously cautious, has at last accepted we won't get relegated.

Naturally Blackburn's two quick goals subdued us, but our spirited rally in the second half was cheered on heartily by our chunk of the Lower North at least. It's well-nigh impossible to gauge the atmosphere of other stands; such are the acoustics that we can't even hear what's going on in the upper tier. Despite the defeat I thought it was a hugely entertaining game, illuminated by Blackburn's impressive play and our heart-stopping near-misses...
  • ct_addick said:

14,800 ....the crowds are dwindling

with the bums on seats being probably nearer to 10,000 for last Saturday
  • ct_addick said:

After 5 wins from the last 6 games before saturday afternoon you would think that you may attract a few more people to pop along and watch a Charlton side in good recent form. Evidently not.

Ten thousand different people will pop along for the fiver game, but 95% won't pop back for any other home game.

Crowds are on the decline (not just at Charlton). Season ticket sales for 2015/2016 will be down regardless of on and off the field activities.
  • shirty5 said:

ct_addick said:

Crowds are on the decline (not just at Charlton).
    I didn't know that. Is that a fact or just your impression?
  • ct_addick said:

It didn't look anything like a 14,800 crowd to me, despite what they gave out. Even Blackburn, who last year had over 2,000 seemed to only have about 200 this time, though given their cup games, you can understand them not bothering.
  • More seats than usual around us in the Lower North were occupied

The East Stand (end near North Stand) was also much fuller than usual - the whole of my row was filled whereas there are normally just two of us. Someone said there was an offer of £15 for coach and ticket? Not heard anything about that though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Awful atmosphere on Saturday - The Covered End were way too quiet.
  • The manner of those two early goals killed it.
  • edited March 2015
    It just felt like a typical game towards the end of the season where neither team have much to play for. Even the Blackburn fans were hardly celebrating their win at the end!
  • ct_addick said:

It didn't look anything like a 14,800 crowd to me, despite what they gave out. Even Blackburn, who last year had over 2,000 seemed to only have about 200 this time, though given their cup games, you can understand them not bothering.
    Turns out they had 700, double what we had up there in December.
  • ct_addick said:

Turns out they had 700, double what we had up there in December.
    Did they? Surprised it's that many, but still way short of last year's support.

• Nottingham Forest at Leeds – 2657

Wolves at Brighton – 2111

Cardiff at Brentford – 1502

Wigan at Rotherham – 1200* approximately

Reading at Watford – 1008

Huddersfield at Birmingham – 747

Blackburn at Charlton – 703

Fulham at Sheffield Wednesday – 604

Ipswich at M’boro – 444

Blackpool at Bournemouth – 378

Millwall at Bolton – 355

Derby at Norwich – unverified
  • atmosphere after the goal for about 15 mins was cracking, but other than that poor
  • Uboat said:

shirty5 said:

ct_addick said:

Football League's own stats on average attendances for 5 years up to last season show a drop from a league average of 10,458 to 9,561 (8.5% drop). There was actually a slight improvement from 12/13 to 13/14 of 1%.

Championship average was down from 18,119 to 16,647 (8.1% drop).

football-league.co.uk/documents/average-attendance549-2006711.pdf

Average for Championship this season from various sites is in the range 17,100 to 17,700, which looks like a healthy recovery, but those sources may not be reliable for a comparison with the FL's figures.

Charlton appear in about 13th place with an average recorded attendance of about 16,500.
  • I don't think there's much evidence of gates falling. The figures in the Sky Sports Yearbook suggest that a loss in the Championship last season was more than offset by growth in League One and the PL was up too. Otherwise there is no discernible trend over a decade.
  • Sponsored links:

• I know we were losing but that never usually stops us singing...

I'd like to be part of this parallel universe you speak of!
  • I actually thought it was a lot better than it has been in recent games (where we weren't winning)
  • PL54 said:

Nottingham Forest at Leeds – 2657

Wolves at Brighton – 2111

Cardiff at Brentford – 1502

Wigan at Rotherham – 1200* approximately

Reading at Watford – 1008

Huddersfield at Birmingham – 747

Blackburn at Charlton – 703

Fulham at Sheffield Wednesday – 604

Ipswich at M’boro – 444

Blackpool at Bournemouth – 378

Millwall at Bolton – 355

Derby at Norwich – unverified

Now you're talking ooh ahs language.

• Uboat said:

shirty5 said:

ct_addick said:

Football League's own stats on average attendances for 5 years up to last season show a drop from a league average of 10,458 to 9,561 (8.5% drop). There was actually a slight improvement from 12/13 to 13/14 of 1%.

Average for Championship this season from various sites is in the range 17,100 to 17,700, which looks like a healthy recovery, but those sources may not be reliable for a comparison with the FL's figures.

Charlton appear in about 13th place with an average recorded attendance of about 16,500.
    So it is a football thing rather than a Charlton problem.

The cost of living generally, coupled with too much football on Sky must have something to do with the drop in attendances.
  • edited March 2015

Uboat said:

shirty5 said:

ct_addick said:

The cost of living generally, coupled with too much football on Sky must have something to do with the drop in attendances.
    That was just the Football League and the last five years. I t's difficult not to favour the cost of living argument as a short-term explanation that fits the dates very well, especially as there seems to have been the start of a rebound effect last year.

Perhaps the PL/Sky/BT had a significant impact, but, if so, I would expect that to get worse as the PL gets more and more TV money and marketing intensifies.
  • Uboat said:

shirty5 said:

ct_addick said:

That was just the Football League and the last five years. I t's difficult not to favour the cost of living argument as a short-term explanation that fits the dates very well, especially as there seems to have been the start of a rebound effect last year.

Perhaps the PL/Sky/BT had a significant impact, but, if so, I would expect that to get worse as the PL gets more and more TV money and marketing intensifies.
    I'm not a fan of the board, but I reckon they will have been disappointed with the season ticket figures for this season(and no doubt next) and will be perplexed as they have continued with making The Valley an affordable place to watch football.
  • Uboat said:

shirty5 said:

ct_addick said:

I'm not a fan of the board, but I reckon they will have been disappointed with the season ticket figures for this season(and no doubt next) and will be perplexed as they have continued with making The Valley an affordable place to watch football.
    You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink. :-) Prices aren't a huge contributor, within reason, of course.