Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joe Garner

Scored four today for Preston, 20 so far
Sign him up Roland.

Comments

• 1 goal in 22 for Watford last time he played in the Championship.

Do you think he's better than what we have?
  • edited March 2015

Yes.

So drop Watt or 11 in 33 (Championship) Angolan international Vetokele (been playing while injured due to no other strikers)?
  • Other teams players are always better than what you already have.

Suspect Garner is one of those numerous strikers who look good in League One but can't hack it in the Championship.
  • He plays as a winger.
  • We do need one probably two new strikers in the summer assuming Watt and Vetokele stay. Can't see Church getting another contract and of the other strikers only KAG seems to have a future hear.
  • He plays as a winger.

Needs to sort his crossing out then.
  • He plays as a winger.

No he doesn't.

Crap at Watford and crap at Forest.

Better than what we have?!?! What are you on?
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought it was Joel Garner. Heck, he was a handful

Now he'd be good in the air...
  • No it was Simon Garner. He wasn't bad.
  • Scored four today for Preston, 20 so far
    Sign him up Roland.

Evening Ackers
  • Scoring 20 goals on league 1 or 2 means nothing when making the step up to the championship, just look at the class partnership of Varney & McLeod.
  • To bring a bit of balance to this Thread ? (are you sure)

Joe Garner is having at 26 the best season of his career.
    I've fancied Preston to go up with City for some time, so will be playing in the
    Champ next season any way.
    Garner has struggled in the higher division before but like Daryl Murphy at Ipswich,
    Who is 32 today, and a top scorer in our division some strikers mature later.
  • BWP was immense in League 1, didn't quite make the step up to championship

McLeod, Varney, Beckford and Baldock all failed to make the step up from one league to the next despite excelling
  • sam3110 said:

BWP was immense in League 1, didn't quite make the step up to championship

McLeod, Varney, Beckford and Baldock all failed to make the step up from one league to the next despite excelling

Is certainly different for each Striker and they shouldnt be signed simply because of the amount of goals they've got... Eoin Doyle has yet to score for Cardiff whilst Alex Revell hasnt really done great since coming up plus look at Simon Cox, he looked a goal scoring machine for Swindon but hasnt never really hit those heights in the top two tiers.

Then you've got Jordan Rhodes and Clayton Donaldson who can both score at a higher level and have proved that this season whilst you only need to look at Charlie Austin, Grant Holt and Rickie Lambert who can do it even higher.

Danny Ings is certainly a strange one... Yes he was a youngster at the time (Joe Pigott doubters take note) but he never seemed to do well for Bournemouth in League One, he did have some injury issues but again until last season had never really produced for Burnley and now is being linked with Manchester United
  • I still maintain BWP never got a proper run
  • I still maintain BWP never got a proper run

What would you call a proper run? He made 10 league starts and another 9 appearances as a sub that season, only scored once. Every other striker that season had a better record.

I thought he was part of the reason we struggled at the start of that season. Not strong or quite quick enough to cause problems in the way Fuller, Yann and Haynes could.

Might have done better in a stronger side but I think he was a bit limited in terms of what he could do outside the box at Championship level. Igor's a similar player but quicker, stronger and better in the air which does make a difference.
  • edited March 2015

I still maintain BWP never got a proper run

I'd say 19 games with 1 goal is more than enough proof. Then went back to League One and scored 1 in every 3.
  • Sponsored links:

• He got 20 odd goals in the MLS, has he improved or does that say something about the standard there.