Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 2015

What a f****** mess.

No sympathy for Sauber at all, giving someone a contract and then just deciding "nah, this guy gives us more money, you don't have a drive anymore" to Van Der Garde. He deserves the drive but he just can't now as it the relationship is untenable. Really classless by Sauber saying he shouldn't drive on safety grounds after what happened to Bianchi, especially considering he was their test driver last year and Marussia have just turned up driving a car with no testing whatsoever.

Can't see how Hamilton doesn't win again, he is just faster than Rosberg and it seems they have sorted out their reliability and pulled an even bigger gap to the pack so there are less variables that seemed to mess him up last year. Only concern for me was whether he would go in some weird mood swing like he did in 2011 the last time he broke up with Nicole but he seems to be in a good mood.

The main interest would be if Rosberg gets a good start on Hamilton and they have another intense battle but I think Hamilton will be even calmer now he has the title and I just can't see Rosberg being quite as dominant in the races.

Williams/Ferrari/Red Bull seem to be all very close as the 2nd best team so it could be some decent battles for the podium.

Also even though I like Button, it will be pretty hilarious to see Alonso and Ron Dennis whine whilst they have the worst car on the grid and are at best battling with the Saubers

One positive for the sport seems to be 17 year old Max Verstappen though, Torro Rosso seems to be pretty good this year and he is meant to be flying in testing/practice.

Comments

• Christ forgot about Verstappen... He should be interesting to watch but F1 is a joke now (i.e. the Drivers will be fined if they change their helmet designs, I mean seriously?)
  • F1 has gone so down hill (could it be a pun? either way it's not intended) in the last few years that it has become an absoulte bore and a complete joke.
  • At least with both Mercedes drivers being competitive with each other there was a bit of excitement last season. Unlike the Vettel-dominated previous years when his team-mate was seemingly incapable of matching him and none of the other teams were even close.
  • Christ forgot about Verstappen... He should be interesting to watch but F1 is a joke now (i.e. the Drivers will be fined if they change their helmet designs, I mean seriously?)

F1 used to be real motor racing, however it is just corporate BS now.
    If you want to watch real racing watch World Super Bikes or Moto GP. Now that is top racing.
  • The problem with the poorer teams is that they rely on pay drivers to survive. One driver offers Sauber some dosh and they go yes please. Suddenly 2 drivers come along offering more money, and they then try and break the contract of the first guy.
    Hardly a way of bringing and keeping the best driving talent in the sport...
  • Yeah I feel that I should hate F1 but I still love it despite all the bs politics and rule changes. Even though with Red Bull and Mercedes recent dominance meaning pole/winners have been predictable I think the racing itself has been pretty good. For all its downfalls nothing beats scraps like Alonso/Vettel at Silverstone or Rosberg/Hamilton at Bahrain.
  • F1 is special, very special. Has an aura that none of the other 'competitors' have - was in Abu Dhabi last year , and it was fantastic, even if my son refused to go see The Who at the after race concert saying "who are The Who?" - makes you fell old eh?
  • Hamilton tops qualy in Melbourne - brilliant much faster than Rosberg.
    Mclaren way down the pack - 6 secs behind Hamilton.!
  • Sounds a bizarre thing to say, but I think the only person who can beat Lewis this year is Lewis himself. Put the fastest driver in the fastest car and it is only going one way. Except if said fastest driver has another ex break up breakdown which could let Rosberg in.
  • Everyone is laughing at Mclaren but if I was Williams, Ferrari and red bull I would be more worried they have had a year of these engines and they are going backwards to Mercedes.

At least Mclaren are starting from scratch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Arent Williams using Mercedes engines?
  • Arent Williams using Mercedes engines?

Exactly! No excuses for them yet still over a second behind the no.2 Mercedes.

• There is limited work they can do on the engines as a cost cutting thing for the new teams (clearly not made much of a difference with the whole Sauber/Marussia fiasco) so it was always going to be fairly similar to last year which makes it a bit of a surprise how much Ferrari have improved. Williams always going to struggle somewhat considering it is Mercedes' own engine
  • Possibly the dullest race yet today. Looked like we might get a tiny bit of actual racing at the start with Hamilton trying to recover from his start and forcing Rosberg to defend but once the safety car came out we were robbed even of that. I'm a big F1 fan but even I'm starting to get bored of it now. They need to do something drastic and soon to make more o the cars competetive and make overtaking possible (without false aids like DRS).
  • Possibly the dullest race yet today. Looked like we might get a tiny bit of actual racing at the start with Hamilton trying to recover from his start and forcing Rosberg to defend but once the safety car came out we were robbed even of that. I'm a big F1 fan but even I'm starting to get bored of it now. They need to do something drastic and soon to make more o the cars competetive and make overtaking possible (without false aids like DRS).

Same. Struggling to get any enthusiasm watching that race with my Dad today. That circuit is too mickey mouse for any decent racing as well.

Normally I am well up for Silverstone regardless but based on how useless and rubbish the cars sound live nowadays - the race experience itself isn't as good either any more.

Watched Rush last night - made me sad to see what we have lost from the sport.
  • The build up and grid walk. Then the start. That's still all good and fun. Once the first two corners are done, the only thing worth watching out for is accidents and messed up pit stops. It might have been different up top if Hamilton hadn't crossed a little white line for a brief moment. That effectively ended the race. That sport is its own worst enemy.
  • This race has been pretty great, definitely what the sport has needed. Could be about to rain too.
  • Hamilton wins British Grand Prix.
  • Hasn't been great has been boring as hell, you want great racing watch gp3 and gp2, as soon as Hamilton pit first and had a relatively fast stop he was going to win. Even the rain didn't stop that as only Rosberg stopping before Hamilton would have given him a chance, but Hamilton had track advantage and Rosberg was looking stronger on the dry tyres so wouldnt have pitted anyway, so it's a bit of a moot point. Williams weren't aggressive enough in strategy and it cost them the win and us a great race.

Pleased Alsonso got a point though, and was praying for a couple of retirees for Manor to get a point too, as lord knows they deserve it after the horrible months they've had of the Bianchi crash, going into Admin, nearly losing their place in the sport, and starting the year with an old car, old engine and no sponsors.
  • It wasn't boring at all, it doesn't matter if Lewis was running away if the rest of the race was entertaining. The start was incredible, Rosberg chasing Lewis down then the rain was all great. Not sure what else you could have asked for.

Massa finished 30 seconds behind Lewis and Bottas one minute behind they had no chance of winning the race as they are so slow in the rain.
  • Sponsored links:

• Least Mercedes had a challenge to them for a while..
  • Greenie said:

Christ forgot about Verstappen... He should be interesting to watch but F1 is a joke now (i.e. the Drivers will be fined if they change their helmet designs, I mean seriously?)

If you want to watch real racing watch World Super Bikes or Moto GP. Now that is top racing.
    BSB is quite tasty, too!
  • Yeah I feel

Greenie said:

Christ forgot about Verstappen... He should be interesting to watch but F1 is a joke now (i.e. the Drivers will be fined if they change their helmet designs, I mean seriously?)

BSB is quite tasty, too!
    Yes I agree. Shakey Byrne is the man.
    IMHO F1 is just about the biggest bore in motor racing. The bikes are streets ahead in terms of skill and excitement.
  • It was a decent race and certainly miles better than some f the recent fairbut there was still a fundamental lack of on track over taking. Granted, there was more than usual particularly after to start mixed things up a bit, but still less than I think we should expect from an average race. It'll no doubt be talked up as an all time classic though because the overall entertainment levels have fallen so far now and the hype machine needs something to cling onto.

An enjoyable race and a good result for the British fans (although personally I wanted to see Williams somehow pull a rabbit out of the hat), but it barely even papers over the cracks of the other issues in the sport.
  • It wasn't boring at all, it doesn't matter if Lewis was running away if the rest of the race was entertaining. The start was incredible, Rosberg chasing Lewis down then the rain was all great. Not sure what else you could have asked for.

Massa finished 30 seconds behind Lewis and Bottas one minute behind they had no chance of winning the race as they are so slow in the rain.

If you think this was a good race, I'd suggest rewatching some of the "F1 Classic" races on the f1 channel. The start was averagely good, only because both Mercs span their wheels and Williams got the power down, and the rain ruined the Rosberg chase, so I'm not sure how they can both be great. Oh and the mid pack racing was pretty boring too, with the majority of passes in the pitlane or DRS assisted, and in the end we had a Mercedes 1-2, a Ferrari in third and Williams in the top 5, finishing pretty much as they are in the WDC.
  • sam3110 said:

It wasn't boring at all, it doesn't matter if Lewis was running away if the rest of the race was entertaining. The start was incredible, Rosberg chasing Lewis down then the rain was all great. Not sure what else you could have asked for.

the rain ruined the Rosberg chase,
    If it hadn't rained at all, the so called chase wouldn't have even happened and he would have finished 4th and stuck behind both Williams. Think in the end, everything probably balanced back out (with the Mercs anyway) but would have been nice to see the Williams come 2nd and 3rd.

Where I was sitting (pit straight) it started chucking it down just after Lewis started his last lap before pitting. Can't believe Rosberg didnt come in straight after Lewis but then he would have had to stack I guess. It was clearly an intermediate tyre call.

Atmosphere was immense. Silverstone fans get behind the Brits and create a great atmosphere. Rosberg was getting roundly ruined by everyone lap after lap when he came round!
  • sam3110 said:

It wasn't boring at all, it doesn't matter if Lewis was running away if the rest of the race was entertaining. The start was incredible, Rosberg chasing Lewis down then the rain was all great. Not sure what else you could have asked for.

the rain ruined the Rosberg chase,
    If it hadn't rained at all, the so called chase wouldn't have even happened and he would have finished 4th and stuck behind both Williams. Think in the end, everything probably balanced back out (with the Mercs anyway) but would have been nice to see the Williams come 2nd and 3rd.

Where I was sitting (pit straight) it started chucking it down just after Lewis started his last lap before pitting. Can't believe Rosberg didnt come in straight after Lewis but then he would have had to stack I guess. It was clearly an intermediate tyre call.

Atmosphere was immense. Silverstone fans get behind the Brits and create a great atmosphere. Rosberg was getting roundly ruined by everyone lap after lap when he came round!
    Despite what the truth was, I think Rosberg is going to suffer with unpopularity following his stunts in Monaco and then Belgium last year for quite some time to come - especially from the Brits.

Rosberg has the look, and demeanor, of someone that knows he is the second best driver in, by far, the best car. He would need to make a succession of mistakes to finish below second in the drivers' championship, but I can't see him winning it.
  • As someone who knows very little about F1 I was surprised to see that Alonso and Button have picked up just five points in total this season driving for McClaren - whereas Hamilton and Rosberg have 371 points between them.

So, would I be right in saying if you swapped the two pairs of drivers that Alonso or Button would in all likelihood win the title? In which case isn't it all about the car? And why risk drivers and not just put robots in the cars operated at base - a bit like scalextric for adults.
  • Modern F1 fans seem to be easily pleased. If timing a pit stop is exciting wait til there's some competitive overtaking one day! To me proof that not all "progress" is for the best. Still, each to their own, live and let live, etc.
  • Was loads of cars not meeting the 107% rule and not being able to finish that much better really? 80s are always looked upon as the golden era but the McLaren's were just as dominant as Red Bull/Mercedes. For me the golden period I remember is 07 & 08 where it was a straight fight between two great cars but tonnes of unpredictable races and stand out overtakes. I have watched full races back and it seems to be the characters at the time of Senna/Prost/Mansell that made it interesting rather than the actual racing.