Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Footballers and their pay

edited April 2007 in General Charlton
Had a text from a mate last night who said ...

"Just seen Jay Bothroyd driving down Wardour Street in his Bentley"

Puts it all into perspective really.

Comments

• Options
    He could Well be back next year!!
  • Options
    I was out on St George's Day with a mate who went up to Manchester the other Weekend as he knows Stephen Reid the injured Blackburn Midfielder. He has just signed a new £30,000 a week contract. Well Reidy took him out for the night, after showing him his brand new Bentley took him to a few clubs in Manchester with Trevor Sinclair & a few others. Got VIP treatment in one & partyied with Gemma Atkinson & friends drinking Crystal champagne all night. Bar Bill was £18,000 for the whole party (Including Gemma & Friends) Reidy just coughed up the lot on a card. Different world....you have no idea.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I was out on St George's Day with a mate who went up to Manchester the other Weekend as he knows Stephen Reid the injured Blackburn Midfielder. He has just signed a new £30,000 a week contract. Well Reidy took him out for the night, after showing him his brand new Bentley took him to a few clubs in Manchester with Trevor Sinclair & a few others. Got VIP treatment in one & partyied with Gemma Atkinson & friends drinking Crystal champagne all night. Bar Bill was £18,000 for the whole party (Including Gemma & Friends) Reidy just coughed up the lot on a card. Different world....you have no idea.....
    Not much different from being a Money Broker....
  • Options
    I know what you mean. My mate turned up in the Royal Oak on St Georges day, R Reg Mondeo, Farah's and Ben Sherman shirt. "White wine spritzer please Clive" he asked.
    Flash bastard.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I was out on St George's Day with a mate who went up to Manchester the other Weekend as he knows Stephen Reid the injured Blackburn Midfielder. He has just signed a new £30,000 a week contract. Well Reidy took him out for the night, after showing him his brand new Bentley took him to a few clubs in Manchester with Trevor Sinclair & a few others. Got VIP treatment in one & partyied with Gemma Atkinson & friends drinking Crystal champagne all night. Bar Bill was £18,000 for the whole party (Including Gemma & Friends) Reidy just coughed up the lot on a card. Different world....you have no idea.....

I am mates with Steven's Brother Karl! Top bloke he is too! I used to work with him, and fuk me are they similar looking and sounding!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]I know what you mean. My mate turned up in the Royal Oak on St Georges day, R Reg Mondeo, Farah's and Ben Sherman shirt. "White wine spritzer please Clive" he asked.
    Flash bastard.

lol!
  • Options
    I don't know why people seem to have a problem with footballers pay, it's a multi billion pound business and there the reason the TV companies pay the fees.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I don't know why people seem to have a problem with footballers pay, it's a multi billion pound business and there the reason the TV companies pay the fees.

Bollocks, in the politest possible way. Bar one or two exceptionally talented players 95% do nothing to convince me that they should earn more than me, let alone as much as they do.
  • Options
    Back to the maximum wage then?
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    reminds me of a number of years ago when i was working for a far eastern bank and they wanted to hire a chauffeur driven car for a few days to cart the chairman about from golf course to golf course and they were going to order a roller...dont do that, get a bentley i says, trust me, it'll have more class than a roller for when he turns up for his meetings and sure enough everybody commented upon it to him earning me big brownie points at the time...not sure i'd like to make that statement today because everybody is now starting to associate the car with 'overpaid' footballers...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Back to the maximum wage then?

I think what Carter is trying to say is that certain players Are worth their Money.

Christiano Ronaldo worth every penny of his £100,000 a week no doubt.

Marcus Bent worth £22,000 a week ? Nah....don't think so !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Back to the maximum wage then?

I think what Carter is trying to say is that certain players Are worth their Money.

Christiano Ronaldo worth every penny of his £100,000 a week no doubt.

Marcus Bent worth £22,000 a week ? Nah....don't think so !

Supply, demand and availablity of money to meet the demand.
  • Options
    Mercenary Players, Agents that have no place in Football, Mug Punters
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    they 'love' the game?

if you could be a professional footballer, why would you do it? for the money or for the love of the game and its something you're good at?

i'm afraid the money aspect clouds the other reasons.

i don't blame them for demanding more as they can get away with it, it should never have got out of control. as soon as fining a weeks wages is like charging us normal people £20, which is hardly missed, then there is something wrong.

a weeks wages is pocket money to these guys, no sense of pride to wear the shirt and to play for the love of the game, its all about the money.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Honestly

I'd do it for the love of it.

People pay to play football every single evening and weekend. They pay for the privilege of kicking a ball around. If you got paid to do that then that to me is a double bonus.

I wouldn't pay to do my job for fun, or in my spare time.

If I could do something I love for a living, I would be content.

Who, out of the squads in the bottom six do you think deserves one fiftieth of what the 'earn'?

And yes there should be a salary cap, with extra money paid by performance. Then players would only leave clubs to win things, not just to pick up a fatter pay packet elsewhere.
  • Options
    exactly carter

performance related pay, basic rates of whatever amount, then if they play, boost it, if they play well, boost it, if they score, save etc boost it, if the team get further in a comp then another bonus. if they do something stupid then fine them a significant amount or hold back on a bonus etc etc
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Mercenary Players, Agents that have no place in Football, Mug Punters

You can't really blame the players for taking what they're offered. You can;t really even blame the agents if people are willing to pay their fees.

It's the mug punters that are to blame. How or why we've put up with escalating ticket prices that enable (at least in part) the players to pick up such ridiculous salaries is a joke.

As a work colleague said to me the other day, with all this new TV money coming in, what else have the clubs got to spend it on other than players wages? "How about knocking some off ticket prices" I said. He just laughed. And he's right, it's only going to get worse I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Eggsonkly Sooz

I think we would see a lot more heart from players then.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Mercenary Players, Agents that have no place in Football, Mug Punters

You can't really blame the players for taking what they're offered. You can;t really even blame the agents if people are willing to pay their fees.

It's the mug punters that are to blame. How or why we've put up with escalating ticket prices that enable (at least in part) the players to pick up such ridiculous salaries is a joke.

As a work colleague said to me the other day, with all this new TV money coming in, what else have the clubs got to spend it on other than players wages? "How about knocking some off ticket prices" I said. He just laughed. And he's right, it's only going to get worse I'm afraid.

I may be wrong but doesn't the Agent drive up the Salary, hence earning HIM a big Commision which then in turn takes the money out of the game completely? Players you are probably right on.
  • Options
    It is part of the Entertainment industry and there is a market , demand and money to be made otherwise Sky wouldn't pay out the ridiculous sums that they do.

Whilst it winds me up to see the likes of Marcus Bent slouching around on the pitch and then be pictured P****ng it up in a nightclub at least the"workers" i.e the players are being more than fairly rewarded for the revenue that they generate.

Great players of the past like Tommy Lawton, the Drogba of his day say, lived in poverty once their playing days finished because of the maximum wage.

That was even more wrong in my humble opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was wrong Len, but even a player like Marcus Bent, (whose paltry £22,000 a week would be the absolute ceiling of the maximum basic pay in my book) would be able to retire quite comfortably after one decent contract.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]It was wrong Len, but even a player like Marcus Bent, (whose paltry £22,000 a week would be the absolute ceiling of the maximum basic pay in my book) would be able to retire quite comfortably after one decent contract.

Indeed which is probably right and proper.

Even though it makes you choke and spit when you see how some of them abuse their earnings and have so little professional pride in their performance
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I don't know why people seem to have a problem with footballers pay, it's a multi billion pound business and there the reason the TV companies pay the fees.

Sash, the point is Jay Bothroyd drives round in a bently. Marcus drives round with a scouser .... they have more money than they can shake a stick at ... and in reality they are shite ...
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Exactly
  • Options
    Totally agree!
  • Options
    If your boss offered you a certain amount of salary, would you turn to him and say *no, I can't accept that, I don't think I'm worth anywhere near that much*

everyone in their shoes would take as much as they can !......I know only a fraction of them are paid what they are worth, however that's the nature of the business and you can't really blame the players.
  • Options
    It is part of the Entertainment industry and there is a market , demand and money to be made otherwise Sky wouldn't pay out the ridiculous sums that they do.

Sky only pay out the money they do to get the punters to buy subscriptions for their sat network. Football for Sky is a loss leader and very few clubs actually break even let alone make a profit. Without football on Sky there would be considerably fewer people with sat tv, they have paid well over the odds for football rights just to shore up their TV network.

Football players on the whole are grossly overpaid but you can't blame them for getting paid stupid money when stupid money is being artificially pumped into the game. Sadly these days most is disappearing out the game and not filtering through to the lower levels and leagues. At least Charlton buying Dickson has helped a local club out a bit.
  • Options
    some intresting points already made.
    with all the money in football it's inevitable that a lot of people are gonna make a lot of money for doing, in some peoples view, very little.
    its the clubs that pay the wages, and the clubs choice to who they pay the wages, and how much they spend on wages.
    if a maximum wage structure came into force in this country, the ronaldos, rooneys, henrys, and gerrards wouldn't be here. then we wouldn't have 3 teams in the last 4 of the champs league.
    imo to say that certain players are just shite is just an opinion (which everyone is entitled to). but the people who know a lot more than you and me about the pro game are the ones that are recommending/signing them. if marcus bent (example) is really that shite, then how has he made it as a pro, ahead of thousand of hopefuls, and why have 10ish clubs spotted that and paid money out on him?
    i often find myself in defending players earnings with mates as i want to be able to watch the best players in the epl. the people that tend to question the amounts earned usually have no interest in football, (to them its just kicking a ball). i end up comparing them (footballers) to film stars. both command £millions fees.
    a footballer has a limited time span for earnings, an actor has a lifetime.
    a footballers career could end in an instant through injury. actors have stunt men.
    a footballer has opponents in his profession. an actor has his entourage to provide him with his needs.
    a footballer makes mistakes on the pitch, he is punished. an actor just does a re-take.

i know who i think has the easier ride.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]It is part of the Entertainment industry and there is a market , demand and money to be made otherwise Sky wouldn't pay out the ridiculous sums that they do.

Sky only pay out the money they do to get the punters to buy subscriptions for their sat network. Football for Sky is a loss leader and very few clubs actually break even let alone make a profit. Without football on Sky there would be considerably fewer people with sat tv, they have paid well over the odds for football rights just to shore up their TV network.

Football players on the whole are grossly overpaid but you can't blame them for getting paid stupid money when stupid money is being artificially pumped into the game. Sadly these days most is disappearing out the game and not filtering through to the lower levels and leagues. At least Charlton buying Dickson has helped a local club out a bit.

I accept football is a loss leader but ultimately Sky makes money overall otherwise they wouldn't continue to pump money in.

I agree too that it is "artificial" money and would surmise that without it many clubs would be insolvent.

My point really was that the money IS in the game (albeit artificially) and that it is right that the players should get their cut.

A better way of spreading the money might be to involve the PFA in the negotiations and let them sort out the players wages side of things. You could pay (say) 40% of the Sky Money direct to the clubs in the way they do now and the remainder to the PFA who could then distribute the funds more equitably throughout the game. That way there would be little or no need for parasitic agents and other assorted hangers on who siphon money out of the game.

The only downside I can see with that is if other leagues don't adopt a similar system. The Ronaldos, Rooneys etc would simply go there if the dosh is better reducing the overall standard of the Prem as Baconsarnie mentions.