Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cardiff Stewards

2»

Comments

• Sounds good.

I've been a steward at Loftus road and Wembley.

They told us to up our game and be more friendly to Americans for NFL games, due to Americans being used to a high standard of friendlyness/customer service, back home.

It's the common consensus that English people don't want this kind of stuff as it's considered cringe worthy or over the top.

That is stupid. You pay a lot of money for away days it's good of Cardiff to be almost overly welcoming to the fans.

(Just don't get touchy feely)
  • They were nice to me when i got through the turnstile (I know the guy who the original poster is on about). The second i stood up at the back they were complete pricks. If you want to stand up and sing for your team youre labelled as a thug.
  • Found it a bit creepy to be honest.

Prefer to get kettled and beaten with a truncheon.

At least you know where you stand.

Don't worry Clem, your get your wish at Millwall,
    Might not be by the police thou.

• They were incredibly friendly and helpful. A credit to their club, city and country.

And that was met with all the usual tedious songs

Sheepshaggers
    The family song
    We pay your benefits
    Etc etc

Arrogant stupid and embarrassing, not funny and I would like to think not representative of the typical charlton fan.

I have visited Cardiff several times for the speedway Grand Prix with Russians, poles and many other nationalities. Always brilliant atmosphere and everyone in all the bars very friendly. And lots of drink too and no trouble.

Was there trouble yesterday ?
  • Wasn't at the game yesterday, but wanted to flag that the stewards at Brighton earlier this season were also spot on - very polite, decent beer behind the stands, signs welcoming Charlton etc etc...very refreshing...
  • There was some sort of initiative about this which I could probably google if I could be bothered, where clubs agreed to have bar staff in away shirts, club DVDs on the concourse TVs and stewards who weren't looking to have a row with people on the bizarre grounds that doing things that people would like might make people, you know, come back, not get tempted to have rows and so on. Don't know if any of our fan forum things have discussed this, would be nice if could do something like it.
  • I think the Cardiff experience stems from the closure of Wembley and the stadium as an alternative. Stewards were fantastic and obviously trained at dealing with troublesome (pissed) fans. The success of this methodology has filtered through to CFC. Oh that more clubs would copy it.
  • edited March 2015

They were incredibly friendly and helpful. A credit to their club, city and country.

Sheepshaggers
    The family song
    We pay your benefits
    Etc etc

Arrogant stupid and embarrassing, not funny and I would like to think not representative of the typical charlton fan.

I have visited Cardiff several times for the speedway Grand Prix with Russians, poles and many other nationalities. Always brilliant atmosphere and everyone in all the bars very friendly. And lots of drink too and no trouble.

How was the journey home on the offended bus?

• brogib said:

Addickted said:

They changed the wheel of an Addick who had a slow puncture last season during the game.

Pass the bucket ffs
    Why you gonna wash his motor as well?

Top man.
  • Sponsored links:

• They were incredibly friendly and helpful. A credit to their club, city and country.

Sheepshaggers
    The family song
    We pay your benefits
    Etc etc

Because you'd never get Cardiff fans spouting their anti-Englush bile would you?

Fair play to the club for getting their house in order at the new ground (it's a different world to Ninnian park) but don't be fooled into thinking the fans and club have always been angels or are now even.

For me theyve always been at Millwalls level and if you visit with a club with a rep you'll see there are plenty still there when it matters.

Speedway is speedway - I'd expect a different welcome. Having been with England twice in the last decade they are still (as an admitted generalisation) in the scum category for me.

As I said though - fair play to the management at the new ground.

Sheepshaggers
    The family song
    We pay your benefits
    Etc etc

We also had rather amusingly 'Vincent Tan, he does what he wants', which got a reaction.

More depressingly there was 'Ing ger land', and 'You're just a sh*t part of England'. Ironic seeing as how if it wasn't for the Welsh forces at Agincourt we'd likely all be French!

• "Arrogant stupid and embarrassing, not funny and I would like to think not representative of the typical charlton fan." Well said.

Sheepshaggers
    The family song
    We pay your benefits
    Etc etc

Because you'd never get Cardiff fans spouting their anti-Englush bile would you?

Fair play to the club for getting their house in order at the new ground (it's a different world to Ninnian park) but don't be fooled into thinking the fans and club have always been angels or are now even.

For me theyve always been at Millwalls level and if you visit with a club with a rep you'll see there are plenty still there when it matters.

Speedway is speedway - I'd expect a different welcome. Having been with England twice in the last decade they are still (as an admitted generalisation) in the scum category for me.

@theorganiser You've 'been with England' to watch football or rugby?
  • My 2 mates will disagree. They was not allowed in for being drunk .stewards told them to go and get a coffee sober up and then they be let in. guess what they never got in ops

Let's be honest going to get a coffee when you're pissed isn't the best of ideas, you're just fueling the drunken body with energy and also dehydrating it further. :---)

Sheepshaggers
    The family song
    We pay your benefits
    Etc etc

Well, I doubt they were specifically singing to the Stewards :-)
    I do take your point, but probably naive to expect different at the average football match.
    Do what I do - roll your eyes and bask in your intellectual superiority ;-)

Incidentally, I was appalled at having to sit through "Men of Harlech" (twice)
    Don't they have something more Pro our historic Union? ;-)

• Valley11 said:

They were incredibly friendly and helpful. A credit to their club, city and country.

Sheepshaggers
    The family song
    We pay your benefits
    Etc etc

@theorganiser You've 'been with England' to watch football or rugby?

Football Valley11 - im aware that Rugby would be different having been to a few games diwn the years.