Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Here's to the 3015 club: On this day 6th March 1973 Charlton Athletic 1 Halifax Town 0

2»

Comments

• masicat said:

Was there. Saw every home game that season. Scored 6 twice at home.

Notts C & Swansea.
  • masicat said:

Was there. Saw every home game that season. Scored 6 twice at home.

I seem to remember that it was consecutive home games. Was it Notts Co. & Swansea?
  • Dark days indeed.I was there that night but distictly remember the crowd being 3001 .Where did you get 3015 from.Just over a year later THE WHO played to 80000.I was there that day too.much more enjoyable.
  • Masicat.Please let me reiterate my thanks for the use of your season tickets for the Huds gamelast saturday.Much better memory that Halifax in 76 I think.
  • Don't remember much about the game but I was on the East terrace with a wagon wheel in hand. They were the size of a wagon wheel unlike now ;-)
  • Pretty sure I was there, and also at the Shay, when it was 1700.
  • I was there.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hadn't there been a few snow showers earlier in the day? I have a vague recollection of phoning up to see if the game was on. (You young uns don't realise how lucky you are to have the internet to keep you up to date with postponements!)
  • edited March 2015
    timken said:

Dark days indeed.I was there that night but distictly remember the crowd being 3001 .Where did you get 3015 from.Just over a year later THE WHO played to 80000.I was there that day too.much more enjoyable.

As I mentioned, we said 3,001 at first (& that's how it shows in the Rothman'sfootball Year Book), But we revised it a few weeks later, and the higher figure appears in Colin Cameron's book. And we're not going to argue with the great man, are we?

It was definitely 1-0. The 3-1 score some refer to came a couple of years later
  • I'm a member of the club.
  • timken said:

Masicat.Please let me reiterate my thanks for the use of your season tickets for the Huds gamelast saturday.Much better memory that Halifax in 76 I think.

Was a pleasure Tim. Wish you had done the interview though.... Forgetting to mention Gomez was a black mark.!! Was nice to meet you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Halifax had a bloke called Waddle upfront. (according to Colin Cameron's book) I don't think he was any relation but seem to vaguely recall that he was still pretty useful

Alan Waddle. He can't have been too bad because Liverpool signed him shortly afterwards and was on the bench for the European Cup final. Then again, Djimi Traoré actually managed to play for Liverpool in a European Cup final, so he might have been completely useless.

• Dined out on the fact that I was the 1 on the 3001....a bit disappointing that there was 14 others
  • Don't remember the match but definitely would have been there because I had a season ticket and didn't miss a home match
  • Was there for this game.

People telling fans bye, should think on this, it could happen again.
  • Dont really know too much about the Charlton fortunes in the 60s / 70s to be completely honest (other than the players of course)... Partly because I wasnt born and partly because in any form of history those two decades have never really piqued my interest (bad really as I should know at least for the Addicks).

What was the reason for the poor attendance on this occasion though, i.e. we were still 12-years away from Selhurst Park and those troubles etc...

Another question; since the return to the Valley what has the lowest attendance been for League and Cup? (Guessing the latter would be the Brentford 3-0 defeat in the Johnstones Paint Trophy?)
  • edited March 2015

What was the reason for the poor attendance on this occasion though, i.e. we were still 12-years away from Selhurst Park and those troubles etc...

It was our first season in Division 3. We were mid table. It was cold. It was v Halifax, historically, one of the bottom league clubs (usually towards the bottom of Division 4). We usually only got about 4/5000 anyway, that season.