Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gudmundsson interview after Huddersfield win

Comments

• Gudmundsson the allayed any fears about a major injury after he was substituted early in the second half.

“I’ll be alright,” he said.

“I’ve just played a lot of games, played the ninety minutes a lot of times and my legs were a little bit tired.

“I felt my hamstring and my hip today, so we decided to take me off and give me a little rest.”

- that's put that to bed then. Gud will be fit for Tuesday.
  • Felt it was a good move taking Gudmundsson off... We obviously had a two goal lead so rest one of our key players and bring on Wilson... Someone who's confidence seems to have taken a big hit of late so seemed as though he was given the opportunity to go out there without any pressure and to try and get some confidence back, seemed a good move from Luzon that paid off well
  • edited March 2015

"my legs were a little bit tired"

Bloody professional footballers earning £50k a week and he's tired. Pampered and out of touch

Normal people have to work down the mines sit at a computer for 8 hours. He doesn't know he's born.

Should be made to play even if he "is a little bit tired"

In the old days players played with broken necks and after a 12 hour shift in the abattoir. And they had to walk 12 miles to the game and back.

Everything that is wrong with today's game. Bring back national service and flogging.

50k a week? No way!
  • MattD said:

Bloody professional footballers earning £50k a week and he's tired. Pampered and out of touch

Normal people have to work down the mines sit at a computer for 8 hours. He doesn't know he's born.

In the old days players played with broken necks and after a 12 hour shift in the abattoir. And they had to walk 12 miles to the game and back.

Everything that is wrong with today's game. Bring back national service and flogging.

50k a week? No way!
    Is this a WOOOOOOOOSH moment?
  • Greenie said:

MattD said:

50k a week? No way!
    It is : - )
  • Greenie said:

MattD said:

50k a week? No way!
    Yep.

It's AT LEAST 70k a week. :-)
  • edited March 2015

Henry, I understand this is a humerously sarcastic piece........honest.
    I have no criticism of Gud. being withdrawn from the Hudds. game as a precaution. Besides English is not his first language. He probably meant to say 'I felt some pain in my calf muscles' :)

But when i hear managers and players coming out with the 'he's/we're/they're tired. It does indeed rankle with me. For all the reasons you jokingly alluded too.
    "tired" they don't know the meaning of the word.............No, they really don't.
  • Sponsored links:

• cue "the yorkshiremen sketch"
  • Well if johann is convinced we'll make the playoffs, then so am I
  • Daggs said:

I have no criticism of Gud. being withdrawn from the Hudds. game as a precaution. Besides English is not his first language. He probably meant to say 'I felt some pain in my calf muscles' :)

But when i hear managers and players coming out with the 'he's/we're/they're tired. It does indeed rankle with me. For all the reasons you jokingly alluded too.
    "tired" they don't know the meaning of the word.............No, they really don't.
    Tired in professional football terms means. If we keep him on for the full 94 mins, he would likely not be 100% fit and refreshed by Tuesday, to give Forest the runaround.

By resting him for 25 mins, hopefully he'll be in tip top condition for Tuesday.

Makes good sense to me. Presumably, you feel that if players earn a very good salary, their body works differently and they doesn't get tired ? Does it work the same for you ? The more you earn the less tired you get ? :smiley::smiley:
    No that's not what I meant and it's not what i typed either if you actually read it.
    I'm saying a footballer playing one or two games a week has not the vaguest idea what work induced tiredness means.
  • Daggs said:

Daggs said:

Tired in professional football terms means. If we keep him on for the full 94 mins, he would likely not be 100% fit and refreshed by Tuesday, to give Forest the runaround.

By resting him for 25 mins, hopefully he'll be in tip top condition for Tuesday.

Makes good sense to me. Presumably, you feel that if players earn a very good salary, their body works differently and they doesn't get tired ? Does it work the same for you ? The more you earn the less tired you get ? :smiley::smiley:
    No that's not what I meant and it's not what i typed either if you actually read it.
    I'm saying a footballer playing one or two games a week has not the vaguest idea what work induced tiredness means.
    Sorry, remind me which professional teams you've played for?
  • edited March 2015
    In our 1st 30 matches, we spent so long with out the ball, chasing shadows i'm surprised any of them are still standing.

"I felt my hamstring and my hip today, so we decided to take me off and give me a little rest.”

Johann your the dogs, that's fine by me.

I will admit seeing Lawrie come on after his last 3 games,
    I was a bit worried but he slotted in just fine and did a job.
  • edited March 2015
    cafctom said:

Daggs said:

Daggs said:

You ever worked seven consecutive twelve hour nights Tom?
  • Daggs said:

Daggs said:

Apologies, but I see no relevance in what you're saying.

I don't want Johann to work 7 consecutive night shifts.

I want him fully refreshed and raring to go against Forest tomorrow night, as a professional footballer.

Whether he can work 7 consecutive 12 hour nights is of no consequence.

If I want to see that I can go and stand outside Tesco's.
  • 'Covered End' surely you are not daft enough to think i was suggesting Gud. or any of our team should work seven nights.................It was clearly a reference to 'cafctom's sarcasm

O/K this is a bit boring now. I'll explain it once more then give up.

Henry Irving made a jokey reference to Gud. being tired. and that being the reason he was taken off in the Hudds match.
    Whilst I was perfectly aware it was just a humerous post, it struck a nerve with me.
    That nerve being how infuriating i find it when i hear footballers or their managers complaining of 'tiredness'
    They have no concept of what work induced tiredness is.

I used the comparison of a footballer playing two games a week. against a maintenance engineer (me) working seven consecutive twelve hour nightshifts. Now that is what's known as tiring.

I just wish football would not use the feeble excuse of 'tiredness'
    I hope that's clear ?
  • It's clear, but it's nonsense, sorry. Tired is tired, not as tired as you would be but games of football can turn on one moment either way and if you're just a second too slow it becomes all your fault, rightly or wrongly. Pick up injuries or even little niggles that add up and it can stop you performing at your best. Then you get dropped, your not playing, any bonuses you would have got, you aren't. You're losing money due to tiredness.

Comparing it to a regular shift job is totally missing the point.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2015
    Sorry Daggs, if you can't distinguish between a professional footballer/athlete needing to be in 100% perfect condition, if at all possible and someone being tired because of long shifts. Then we'll have to leave it there.

But as my final effort, let's say tomorrow night, 90 mins are on the clock and it's 1-1.

Gudmundsson is put through on goal for the winner, but he just doesn't quite have the legs, to reach the ball before the goalie, because he played 94 mins on Saturday, when we were 3-0 up.

If he'd been taken off 25 mins earlier on the Saturday, he would have reached the ball first, rounded the goalie & tucked away the winner.

This is why he was subbed. Whether you call it tired, taken off to keep him in the best possible condition for another game in 76 hours or whatever, it still amounts to the same thing.

thenewbie understands :smile:
  • Daggs said:

cafctom said:

Daggs said:

Daggs said:

As others have stated, you've completely missed the point. Think you're mixing up sleepiness/stress related tiredness with physical tiredness. Unfortunately the body can't pick and choose when to get tired and when not to.

Football clubs are run as businesses with players as their assets. If somebody's muscles needs rest, then there is no good reason to put them at risk of injury which is of no benefit to the player or the club whatsoever.
  • Is there not a day that can go by without something trivial turning into full on seriousness

God forbid we start to win games, have strikers who can strike and hit a ball harder than a three yr old girl, run faster than forest Gump

Maybe then people will start to enjoy the football and engage in friendly jovial behaviour

8)
  • Well said NLA, getting a bit tedious now.
  • Johann needs a song!
  • edited March 2015

Johann needs a song!

He has one

Let me tell you, might as well do, about a boy who can do anything,
    his name is Johann, he comes from Iceland,
    Gudmundsson, Gudmundsson, Gudmundsson
  • Or more simply, to the super clive song?

Johann, Johann Berg,
    Johann, Johann Berg,
    Johann, Johann Berg,
    Johann Berg Gudmundsson.

And to think I used to hate the exceedingly dull Jerome Thomas song!
  • Daggs said:

cafctom said:

Daggs said:

Daggs said:

Well i'm just off to work for my 12 1/2 hr shift, and again tomorrow. 12 nights in a row is pretty tough, most i do is 8. Sorry i'm a bit lightweight ;)

As for OP about tired players.If he's run himself into the ground on the pitch giving his all for 60 mins and needs to come off, so be it. I 'occasionally' go for a 2 mile run and can assure you i'm fecked for days after. I'm not overweight, just unfit, bit i do appreciate how hard it is to run for 90 minutes at high tempo. No complaints from me for all those giving their all for the club right now. If Gud needs a rest to be fresh for the next game, he knows best.