Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

'Charlton Upbeats' get a mention in today's Times

I was reading this article in today's Times by Mark Clemmit and in the space of 2 seconds went from feeling sick to my stomach to feeling intensely proud.

These are interesting times for football supporters, who are being left in no doubt that their behaviour is now under a new level of scrutiny.

For too long the mob has ruled our stadiums. Not with the large-scale overspills of hooliganism and violence of yesteryear (or modern-day Greece), but with verbal abuse, threats and hand gestures that would secure an individual a night in the cells were they carried out on your local high street.

Yet these are routinely brushed under the carpet in an environment where stewards on the minimum wage, armed with no more than an NVQ in ticket-checking, can offer little resistance to banks of collective bile.

Not so long ago, even a single individual’s vilest taunt was no challenge to a football club’s priority of keeping the peace.

This week Kevin Kilbane, the former Everton and Sunderland midfielder, spoke out after claims that West Ham United supporters had mocked disabled people with a chant about Harry Kane, of Tottenham Hotspur.

A few years ago, as his playing career meandered towards its close with Coventry City, Kilbane went to the touchline to take a throw-in. At this point he was treated to a volley of abuse by one of his own supporters, telling him in no uncertain terms that his performance was so bad, he had got his just deserts in having a daughter with Down’s Syndrome.

Not unnaturally, Kilbane told the perpetrator to eff off (quite restrained if you ask me — most people would have climbed over the hoardings and lumped him) and spent the rest of his weekend in a state of some distress, only to be asked by his club a couple of days later to apologise.

Kilbane is a patron of the Down’s Syndrome Association and, just as news of his latest stand was being reported, Charlton Athletic contacted me with details of “Charlton Upbeats Day”. The club host football’s most well-attended Down’s Syndrome project nationally and are keen to take the lead in raising the profile of World Down’s Syndrome Day on March 21.

How can such incredibly selfless and understated work be smothered by the misguided masses (or individuals) whose tribal mentality and lack of objectivity in supporting their team leads them to ever more barren behaviour?

It does no service to the club they are devoted to and would hopefully inspire revulsion in anybody who knows them.

Comments

• @TCE...what you doing reading The Times??? LOL....seriously though mate you and Bailey along with those who help with The Upbeats need to be very proud of yourselves....great work mate.
  • Oi you two, keep your dog love to an appropriate thread!

What I was going to say was, what an utter **** the Coventry "fan" was. On what planet is that acceptable, the "fan" should have been taken out and shot. And I am a liberal!
  • I wonder if Kevin Kilbane has heard of The Upbeats? (he would make a great guest at an event).
  • Simonsen said:

I wonder if Kevin Kilbane has heard of The Upbeats? (he would make a great guest at an event).

Damon Hill is also heavily involved as his son has Downs Syndrome and I know they were trying to get him involved with the walk on 21st - I'm not sure yet if that's been possible though

• Simonsen said:

I wonder if Kevin Kilbane has heard of The Upbeats? (he would make a great guest at an event).

Is he on twitter?

If so could I ask for someone to contact him with details of the upbeats walkthewalk event so he can at least retweet
  • Simonsen said:

Is he on twitter?

If so could I ask for someone to contact him with details of the upbeats walkthewalk event so he can at least retweet
    @kdkilbane77
  • Simonsen said:

Is he on twitter?

@kdkilbane77
    I'm off out now (walking the dogs)
  • do the upbeats have a twitter handle?

I will tweet KK and let him know
  • Sponsored links:

• Will be on the CACT Tweeter feed
  • Simon Barnes, the highly regarded sports journalist also has a son with Downs Syndrome, if the Upbeats are ever looking for help to raise their profile.
  • T.C.E said:

Oi you two, keep your dog love to an appropriate thread!

What I was going to say was, what an utter **** the Coventry "fan" was. On what planet is that acceptable, the "fan" should have been taken out and shot. And I am a liberal!

One thing my association with the Upbeats has given me, is understanding of what's acceptable and what's not, but that came with education, my education! I can do nothing about other people's ignorance towards Down Syndrome or any other mental health issue come to that, so chose to ignore the negatives in the piece. And I dare say had I been in Kevin Kilbane's position I may well have reacted a little different to the man himself.
    "Dog Love"
    I don't think I have ever met your goodself at Sparrows lane, so you may not be aware of what the Upbeats get from a visit with my dogs, (Bailey incidentally is the Upbeats mascot). I have been told by a couple of the parents that Bailey gives their children a confidence, an awareness of animals that they wouldn't have got had we not been there. One or two Upbeats have overcome their fear of dogs through meeting him. Something as simple as walking Bailey on a lead can put the biggest smile on a child's face, giving him a hug and sometimes I get one also to me is worth the 100+ round trip and the negativity I meet not only this board but elsewhere when I say my dog works with Down Syndrome children. I will be on the sponsored walk (with Bailey) raising money for the Upbeats along with others and I will also do the return journey to Sparrows lane and drive home without seeing the game which to me is not important. Raising awareness and of course money is what the walk is all about and hopefully that will educate future generations about Down Syndrome.
    Ray
    Ray, I hope you don't think my little rib was any more than that.

No I have never been to Sparrows Lane but have worked with adults with Learning Difficulties for most of my adult life and I am well aware of the benefits that animal contact can bring to some people. Have a look at this place http://pennyhooks.com/ they do some amazing work with some quite challenging young adults.