Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I love Tony Watt

Comments

• Options
    Screenshot 2015-03-01 15.28.46
  • Options
    Wow. That's the best display I've seen from a Charlton striker for a very long time
  • Options
    edited March 2015

As soon as I saw his first touch for us, which took him away from two defenders and created a chance which he nearly scored I already knew he was our best player. He's definitely too good for us and I reckon he could probably go on to play in the Premiership, he's already played in the Champions League and could well be there on a consistent basis in the future.

His attitude here has been first class, stopped to applaud every section of the ground when warming up on his debut. Applauded Vetokele off the pitch when he was being substituted against Brentford. Last off the pitch and now our regular tunnel jumper.

We have a real player here.

100% correct
    Those first 5 seconds when he had the ball under control against Brighton and glided past defenders were enough for me as well.

Lisbie like Tucudean, could be Superb, Liverpool 3-2 springs to mind.
    Getting the winner at Chelsea, But so many games he wasn't at the races.
    sorry for the analogy again, but just like George.

Tony Watt's problems over the last 3 years, have been issues with coaches.
    Tony is only 21 now. Let's enjoy every game he plays for us because it could be short and sweet.
    Now if he were to stay for a few years........
    One game at a time sam, one game at a time.

• Options

Tony is only 21 now. Let's enjoy every game he plays for us because it could be short and sweet.

One of those coaches he had issues with is currently his boss.
  • Options

One of those coaches he had issues with is currently his boss.
    Too true guinness,
    Could this be the reason it took him 4 and a half matches to play him alongside Igor instead of for him.

To be fair to Guy, (most of us haven't) we keep hearing Tony had fitness issues ?
    Even the Scottish U21 Coach said this ?

Yet ever since the home match against Brighton he has run around like a butchers
    dog, and looks like the most skillful player we've had here in a decade ?

Could it be because Tony is feeling loved by the fans at CAFC ?

• Options

I thought Tony liked guy Luzon

Yep sure I read that as well and vice versa
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    So from this thread it sounds like Watt is a cross between Hunt, Mendonca, Pringle, Kermorgant and Whyte. Loving the enthusiasm for this kid but if he really does have all the best bits of those 5 he won't be in SE7 for long, enjoy him while you can!
  • Options
    He does. Said that he learned more from him in the short time they were together at Liege than any of his previous coaches. And if you believe Luzon's post match comments, he fought hard to get him at Liege and is delighted to have him here at Charlton.

I don't think any of his coaches doubted his talent. Perhaps it was more about felling that he fits in and we have a group of players that seem to have taken well to him, the fans obviously have as well and he's enjoying the trust of those around him.
  • Options

The issue was more Tony was unhappy in Belguim and wanted to play in the UK.
    Luzon was manager at SL and because Watt loss his Mojo, you can imagine the rest, Both of them know it's best if they get on and they seem just fine at the moment which helps because they both need each other now. All players have some issues with coaches if their not picked.
    Guy did say Tony needed to improve! it took the full 5 seconds of his home debut to do that.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Well at least we can be confident he won't be shipped off to Standard Liege !

Yeah, cos Riga never went from Liege back to Liege did he :-(
  • Options
    The man has been a breath of fresh air to the team. Many comparisons in playing style have been made to Tony (Mendonca, Pringle (don't agree with that one myself), Hunt, Bent etc). Personally he reminds me of Stan Collymore in playing style (not a personality level). The way he is so direct in getting the ball, spinning and running at defenders. There is nothing that defenders hate more when they are on the back foot with forwards running at them with pace.

His second goal on sat was pure class. Slow it down and watch after he turns and runs he has FIVE opposition players around him within 12-15 yards. Nutmegs one (Hudson) with the outside of his right foot and puts it away with his left foot. The first Charlton forward in a very long time who get me on the edge of my seat when he get the ball.
  • Options

According to some Luzon had fallen out with every Charlton player who he coached at Liege. This is clearly nonsense given the recent performances of Bulot and Watt.
  • Options
    I heard he fell out with Kermorgant and that's why he left
  • Options
    Was quality playing time down in the corner!
  • Options
    Anyone got footage of the injury time corner antics?
  • Options

Well at least we can be confident he won't be shipped off to Standard Liege !

speaking of which I wonder if our resident Standard fan @Defke cares to share his opinion, on how Well Watt is performing for us and what other Standard fans think about the fact he is playing well for us

and also Bulot has suddenly found some form
    i don't think that watt come to Belgium again - when watt playing at lierse he's playing well but when got to standard we saw nothing about his good performes - we don't miss him in liege - but we know that yoni come back to us maybe also bulot but that's a ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Wow. That's the best display I've seen from a Charlton striker for a very long time

Wow. That's the best display I've seen from a Charlton striker since Saturday!

Let's hope you can press repeat on that every week!
  • Options

Potentially our new Jorge Costa, in the speed of arrival to legend stakes.

Absolutely loving watching him play, not enjoyed a striker like this since Benty was having his strong prem season.

Pavel Abbott and Akpo Sodje seem a very long time ago now!

Yup 100% awesome!
  • Options
    The corner flag antics, was quality, even tho he got a number of kicks(and got them a couple of bookings) he still carried on, until he had to leave the field for treatment, and that's when we lost it and they got the corner.

but I loved watching that, I am starting to forget the name Yann Kermorgant now
  • Options
    Didn't think he matched up to his previous high standards last night but still impressive and as someone who loves skill loved the ability and piss taking at the end which led to two yellows for forest
    (I can remember some of our bores moaning when Ronaldo did similar show boating/piss taking for Man Utd a few years back)
    I want him to be doing that in injury time at the den after a goal in the last minute in that corner where the more Neanderthal scum and our fans are

Ole ole ole ole Tony Watt Watt Watt
  • Options

cafctom said:

Man, what a breath of fresh air.

I'm really can't think I have seen a Charlton striker similar to him before, the closest I can say is probably a better quality version of Martin Pringle, does anyone else get that?

Direct, makes things happen, scores goals, and so far doesn't seem selfish. Squared for Igor in the first half which sadly proved to me that Igor is not the next Defoe.

Loving seeing Watt play, and hope it's not a flash in the pan. Some seemed to slag him off when we signed him, but gawd knows what they saw to come to that conclusion.

You Watt, You Watt, You Watt You Watt You Watt !

Wasn't at the game today as I'm away in America with work, but I knew there was a player I was trying to put my finger on as to who he reminded me of - and Martin Pringle is it.

Has a quick turn of pace for someone so tall, and seems to have very good control of the ball in situations where you don't expect him to be able to. Even a little bit 'jammy' in some ways, but he just has an awkward style that many defenders will struggle to keep up with.
    He is not a Martin Pringle, I liked Martin Prngle, but this guy is on a different level.
    Pringle! One of the most ineffective players ever, in fact the footballing equivalent of the mint choc variety. 65 games 11 goals, most of which were tap ins from an inch after someone else's shot had been spilled and he was still hanging around the goalkeeper hiding from whichever centre half was killing him that match.