Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Kindness Of GlassHalfFull Continues

Many of you surely remember the thread from awhile back entitled Thank You GlassHalfFull, for those who are not familiar, Alan Had the idea to find a young Charlton fan living outside of England who didn't have access to the club like many of you do. @JessieAddick was the best candidate and promptly sent her a wonderful assortment of Charlton match programs and fanzines etc so she could be better connected to the club. A lovely gesture and story.

Now let's fast forward a couple months. I received a message from Alan (GlassHalfFull) asking me if I would like to be the recipient of another set of Chalrton memorabilia. Now at this time I was still getting used to the CL scene and did not know who many of you were. So when I saw an offer like this completely out of the blue. I assumed there had to be a huge catch, so stupidly, I didn't respond.

Sometime after the new year, I was commenting on a thread and Alan mentioned me and reminded me that he had sent me an important direct message a few months back and that he'd really appreciate it if I replied, then I knew that this wasn't some kind of hoax, but an act of generosity waiting to happen. For those of you who don't know my story, I am a 17 year old from Wisconsin in the United States. I began following English football a couple summers ago when the Premier League signed a broadcast agreement with NBC. Pick decided to watch a game one morning (I think Cardiff vs Man City) and immediately it just clicked, I knew I wanted to pick a "team". The air quotes are important in that statement as I just assumed that you could just pick any team for any reason you wanted (rookie mistake). For some reason I was drawn to Everton and began watching their games, however I didn't feel a strong connection. As the season progressed,I'm began to learn more about the football league and English football itself, then one day I'm not sure if I saw a picture of the Crest, The Valley or what it was, but while just randomly searching through the English teams, I struck some kind of odd connection with Charlton, like something in my head said this is your team. So after learning about the clubs present day situation as well as its storied past and fans, I decided that thus was going to be my team. that day I learned that you don't pick your team, your team picks you. I'm proud to say that I am one if the few Addicks living in the Unuted States and probably one of the youngest.

Alright so back on topic. After Alan explained to me that since I am a young, international supporter who has a true passion for CAFC, he'd like me to be the next recipient of a Charlton care package of sorts, and with the help of @Fanny Fanackapan, he put together a 10kg treasure trove of Valley Reviews, VOTV's, and all other types of Charlton programs and books, so I can learn everything I need to know about Charlton's rich past. Well after long weeks of excitement and anticipation, I finally was able to collect the parcel today and I honestly teared up when I opened it. For Alan to spend all of this time putting this package together for me was an act of generosity that will be hard to top and certainly one I will never forget. Thank you Alan for all these efforts from the bottom of my heart, and also a big thanks to Jean for helping out the shipping arrangements. And lastly thank you to all the Lifers, you truly reflect the spirit of our great club and it is a privilege to be a member of this forum. I look forward to the day where I can finally come to London, meet you all, and sit in the covered end singing Valley Floyd Road.

To @GlassHalfFull The most generous person I've had the pleasure to know. Thanks a million!!

Comments

• Great story, very good of you GlassHalfFull and fanny!
  • Warms the cockles, that.

Good work GHF and FF.
    Nice choice @Rossman92 :smiley:
  • So @Rossman92 what is the significance of 92 I assumed it was year of birth (suppose thats why they say assume makes an ass out of you and me)

I can say first hand what a top man @GlassHalfFull is and have been on the end of his generosity myself, true Gentleman and a delight to spend time with, will never forget BTTV dinner in 2013 Alan
  • Great stuff! That'll keep you going for a while. :-)
  • Good work GHF and Fanny.

And hope you get a chance to visit The Valley Rossman.
  • Nice work GHF & FF!
    Another 'appy Addick
  • Top pair GHF & FF.
  • Great post and what exceptional generosity from GlassHalfFull
    The Charlton Home and Away book by the late Colin Cameron is a mind of info.
    Glad you have decided to support a real football club with all the trials and tribulations that that incurs.
    COYRs
  • Unexpected lump in my throat on the train there! What an amazing thing to do
  • Rossman92 said:

Many of you surely remember the thread from awhile back entitled Thank You GlassHalfFull, for those who are not familiar, Alan Had the idea to find a young Charlton fan living outside of England who didn't have access to the club like many of you do. @JessieAddick was the best candidate and promptly sent her a wonderful assortment of Charlton match programs and fanzines etc so she could be better connected to the club. A lovely gesture and story.

Now let's fast forward a couple months. I received a message from Alan (GlassHalfFull) asking me if I would like to be the recipient of another set of Chalrton memorabilia. Now at this time I was still getting used to the CL scene and did not know who many of you were. So when I saw an offer like this completely out of the blue. I assumed there had to be a huge catch, so stupidly, I didn't respond.

Sometime after the new year, I was commenting on a thread and Alan mentioned me and reminded me that he had sent me an important direct message a few months back and that he'd really appreciate it if I replied, then I knew that this wasn't some kind of hoax, but an act of generosity waiting to happen. For those of you who don't know my story, I am a 17 year old from Wisconsin in the United States. I began following English football a couple summers ago when the Premier League signed a broadcast agreement with NBC. Pick decided to watch a game one morning (I think Cardiff vs Man City) and immediately it just clicked, I knew I wanted to pick a "team". The air quotes are important in that statement as I just assumed that you could just pick any team for any reason you wanted (rookie mistake). For some reason I was drawn to Everton and began watching their games, however I didn't feel a strong connection. As the season progressed,I'm began to learn more about the football league and English football itself, then one day I'm not sure if I saw a picture of the Crest, The Valley or what it was, but while just randomly searching through the English teams, I struck some kind of odd connection with Charlton, like something in my head said this is your team. So after learning about the clubs present day situation as well as its storied past and fans, I decided that thus was going to be my team. that day I learned that you don't pick your team, your team picks you. I'm proud to say that I am one if the few Addicks living in the Unuted States and probably one of the youngest.

Alright so back on topic. After Alan explained to me that since I am a young, international supporter who has a true passion for CAFC, he'd like me to be the next recipient of a Charlton care package of sorts, and with the help of @Fanny Fanackapan, he put together a 10kg treasure trove of Valley Reviews, VOTV's, and all other types of Charlton programs and books, so I can learn everything I need to know about Charlton's rich past. Well after long weeks of excitement and anticipation, I finally was able to collect the parcel today and I honestly teared up when I opened it. For Alan to spend all of this time putting this package together for me was an act of generosity that will be hard to top and certainly one I will never forget. Thank you Alan for all these efforts from the bottom of my heart, and also a big thanks to Jean for helping out the shipping arrangements. And lastly thank you to all the Lifers, you truly reflect the spirit of our great club and it is a privilege to be a member of this forum. I look forward to the day where I can finally come to London, meet you all, and sit in the covered end singing Valley Floyd Road.

To @GlassHalfFull The most generous person I've had the pleasure to know. Thanks a million!!

Stigs Post Of The Week
  • Sponsored links:

• What a great story well done @GlassHalfFull and @FannyFanackapan, god to know we have another supporter in the US as well @Rossman92. This is what this club is all about and is another story of kindness and friendship that is often found on this forum.
  • Lovely story.

Custody of my collection of Charlton programmes has yet to be determined but if it ends up with me then it will be available for the next "CAFC Care Package" if needed. My sons have expressed interest but I can imagine they will find that they don't have the storage space.
  • So pleased Ross has his parcel, Alan had told me it was on its way, and likes it so much. Well done to both GHF and FF, both generous and kind, the type of fans our wonderful club deserves!
  • Excellent stuff!
    Jessie in China, Ross in USA - may I nominate Roland in Belgium as the next recipient? ;-)

Good luck getting a reply from him!
  • Alan is a special man, about as unselfish and generous as you could find. Top work, top story.
  • Great stuff Alan (and Fanny), very proud and grateful to have such kind hearted people being part of our community.

Rossman, welcome to the family.
  • I hope you know what you've let yourself in for Rossman92 ?

As you are 17, Is the 92 there because of the return to the valley or could it be a family thing ?

You can tell that the Charlton Lifers family are a crazy mix of the good, the bad, and the ugly. Alan GHF and Fanny Fanackapan are very much in the good section.

Great to hear from an addick from across the world, try to spread the word.
    90% of CL and CAFC fans are the salt of the earth. Even the 10% are not too bad and not too ugly !

Strap yourself in Kid, your in for a bumpy ride(Credit to Sir Henry Irving 1905)
  • soapboxsam just summed up my thoughts .After my initial feeling of pride and emotion that our great club has another recruit I thought "you poor old thing"[in henry blofeld voice].Good luck with the journey Rossman 92.
    My house is 3 miles from tottenhams ground and my uncles took me to see the great spurs teams with gilzean and greaves in and it just never clicked.In september 1967 I stepped into the vastness of the valley with 10000 supporters and was hooked.The pain has been frequent and intense but so has the joy of unexpected victories and triumphs .
    Once again good luck on the journey Rossman there is no way out now.
  • Sponsored links:

• What a great story well done @GlassHalfFull and @FannyFanackapan, god to know we have another supporter in the US as well @Rossman92.

This is what this club is all about and is another story of kindness and friendship that is often found on this forum.

I'll endorse this.

Time and time again, I've found helpfulness and friendliness from the people on this forum.
    GlassHalfFull and Fanny have done this before - and now they've done it again.

Good to have you on board, Rossman92.

• Nice one. Well done all concerned.
  • People ask what it means to want 'our Charlton back'. I think this sums up 'our' Charlton. Would there continue to be such a sense of belonging to a London branch of a European Franchise?*

*Thanks to Steve Dixon for that comment at the meeting last week (or certainly something similar)
  • great story and well done to all involved
  • edited February 2015

People ask what it means to want 'our Charlton back'. I think this sums up 'our' Charlton. Would there continue to be such a sense of belonging to a London branch of a European Franchise?*

*Thanks to Steve Dixon for that comment at the meeting last week (or certainly something similar)

This is the Dilemma now for fans and critics of my club ?

It will allway be our Charlton when we have folk like Alan and Jean.
    Life is all about perception, Check out who owns our railways, water companies,
    electric companies etc.

now i would like a situation, dare i say like Palace who are owned by business palace fans. The last four owners have been

Noades, a very shrewd businessman 1st, palace fan 2nd = Walks away with good profit
    Goldberg, good guy Palace fan 1st business man 2nd palace into admin
    Jordan, Palace fan and full time plum 1st, business man 2nd into admin.
    Parrish and co, seem to have the balance between fan and businessmen.

So when Noades who had no emotion when making decisions and Parrish and co who don't want to make the mistakes of Goldberg and Jordan.

But fellow CAFC fans, Palace are the team nearest to my House and am kept up to speed by fellow gamblers in my local bookies.

Sorry to mention the team from the surrey/London borders but just because you have a fan/businessman in charge, Does not guarantee your club will be well run.

EG, Murray part 1 great, Murray part 2 poor.
    Was great to see fans working for the club under Richard and enjoying it most of the time ?

Roland needs converting into a fan, i won't hold my breath.

• wonderful, well done
  • Good work