Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Teenage pregnancies at all time low

There's not much of a mention, that their lifestyle choice, of a house all paid for each month, has been taken away.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/teenage-pregnancies-at-all-time-low/ar-BBhUxaw

Comments

• Options
    Kap10 said:

Given that it is a trend reflected amongst under 16's I suspect it's more down to education and awareness and the work done by schools and health workers.

On the other hand I wonder what the cost of supporting teenage mothers is compared to the loss of revenue from HSBC, Amazon, Starbucks, Nero's, Vodaphone etc, avoiding and evading tax.

On the other hand, I wonder what the social cost of tax evasion is compared to the social issues caused by tax evasion...

Not quite sure what point you were trying to make to be honest; it's perfectly possible for two different issues to have two completely different types consequences.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Kap10 said:

Given that it is a trend reflected amongst under 16's I suspect it's more down to education and awareness and the work done by schools and health workers.

On the other hand I wonder what the cost of supporting teenage mothers is compared to the loss of revenue from HSBC, Amazon, Starbucks, Nero's, Vodaphone etc, avoiding and evading tax.

Both/all issues should be addressed. I don't believe it's an either/or.

Rates of conception for under-18s in England and Wales are at their lowest since records began in 1969, new official figures show.

The figures show a 13% drop in the estimated number of conceptions for women under 18 in 2013, down to 24,306 in 2013 compared with 27,834 in 2012.

For the under-16s, there was also a 14% drop in the number of conceptions.

13% drop for under 18's and 14% drop for under 16's. Seems very similar to me.

Anyway, whatever it's down to, I'd say it's good news all round.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    On reflection, I guess @Kap10 was suggesting that money could be recouped via clamping down on tax evasion as opposed to refusing welfare help for those who require it.

I agree with that sentiment, before any cuts - be they military, policing, healthcare or welfare - we should be ensuring those who are making money in our borders are paying the tax they owe on it. It's utterly disgusting that our Government seemingly doesn't have the backbone to stand up to these companies and get, not only the money owed, but the fees and charges that would be accrued should an individual ever rack up such a bill!

However, that's not to say we shouldn't be looking at saving money elsewhere - especially when it's addressing preventable issues like teenage pregnancy.

Kap10 said:

Both/all issues should be addressed. I don't believe it's an either/or.

Rates of conception for under-18s in England and Wales are at their lowest since records began in 1969, new official figures show.

The figures show a 13% drop in the estimated number of conceptions for women under 18 in 2013, down to 24,306 in 2013 compared with 27,834 in 2012.

For the under-16s, there was also a 14% drop in the number of conceptions.

13% drop for under 18's and 14% drop for under 16's. Seems very similar to me.
    Add to that the argument used in Freakonomics, that the crime drop in the US coincided with abortion legislation changing - it's perfectly arguable that less teenage pregnancies actually saves money elsewhere.

It's documented that teenage pregnancies are more prone to increased healthcare costs - via complications and subsequent health issues. Therefore, less teenage pregnancies mean less healthcare expenditure.

Similarly, FPA statistics particularly mention young people who are "involved in crime" or "homeless" (amongst others) are more likely to become teenage parents. Therefore, you could argue that less teenage pregnancies could see a reduction in expenditure on social services and/or policing.

That's not to say that the stereotypes about teenage mothers/parents are correct, I know of a girl who was pregnant as a teenager and she appears to be one the most loving and caring mothers around - working hard to provide for her child. There's just as much risk of an "adult" being an incompetent parent, but unfortunately the reality is that the odds are stacked against teenage parents and that pregnancy could even be symptomatic of a bigger social issue as per the stats referenced above.

Just because Starbucks and Co don't like paying tax doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking at other areas that money is being wasted needlessly.
  • Options
    The number of teetotallers is also at an all time high in the young generation coming through.

As a twenty two year old I often think we youngsters get bad press and the stats suggest that on the whole, we are much better behaved than the grumpy old fogeys ever were at our age. :-)
  • Options
    edited February 2015

The number of teetotallers is also at an all time high in the young generation coming through.

As a twenty two year old I often think we youngsters get bad press and the stats suggest that on the whole, we are much better behaved than the grumpy old fogeys ever were at our age. :-)

So teenage girls and boys drink less and not so many girls are getting pregnant. I think you've found another reason there and I'm not joking.
  • Options

we are much better behaved than the grumpy old fogeys ever were at our age. :-)

I take great exception to that remark - irrespective of how accurate it may be.

• Options

I'm one of them
  • Options
    Oh come on! We all know the real reason is because Dave Mehmet has been easing off for the last couple of years!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Micky Flanagan has a theory on this
  • Options
    My wife is a midwife working in the community (Bexley/Greenwich boroughs) with young pregnant girls, her youngest at the moment is 11.

Some of her stories I hear are truly shocking
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Pregnant teens can't help being fat though bless em, that comes with being pregnant ; )
  • Options
    I am with Mickey Flanagan on this one. Maybe fingering is back in fashion!
  • Options
    Surely not dropping here in the states. Not as bad as the last few years however. The last few years I couldn't turn a corner in school without seeing someone pregnant
  • Options

My wife is a midwife working in the community (Bexley/Greenwich boroughs) with young pregnant girls, her youngest at the moment is 11.

11? Holy shit - surely someone will be prosecuted for that? If the Father is too young then her parents should be done, that's a fucking disgrace.
  • Options

11? Holy shit - surely someone will be prosecuted for that? If the Father is too young then her parents should be done, that's a fucking disgrace.
    That's exactly what someone said in Nazareth 2000 odd years ago....
  • Options
    Operation yewtree is finally showing some positive results then.........
  • Options
    I'm with mickey Flanagan and the other posters.

Fingering is now the teenage priority and not unsheathed penetration
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe it's because kids are so fat now that they can't get near enough?
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Maybe it's because kids are so fat now that they can't get near enough?

And their shite eating habits reducing their fertility levels.
  • Options
    Frank skinner had a similar theory on the prevalence of paedophiles. Where kids are so fat these days they don't have the cardiovascular capacity to run away anymore. So for the nonces it's like shooting fish in a barrel
  • Options
    All the teens will want one soon to accessorise their selfies.
  • Options
    Lowest number of teenage pregnancies since 1969?
    What a great year, fantastic music. I must have been a major contributor to that stat............mores the pity.
  • Options
    edited February 2015