Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Travelling

Anyone here done the whole pack your bags and go see the world thing?
Currently 22 in a dead end job and just out of a relationship, so got the whole idea of running away in my head at the moment.

Anyone been there and done it? If so how was it out there, how old, how expensive, and how screwed were you when you came back?
Id really like to do the whole Aus/Asia thing.

Comments

• Haven't done it myself, planned to after uni but jobs came up for myself and the now mrs so we didn't go. Have tried to do most of our travelling via holidays but it's not quite the same. We've never really shifted the bug to want to go which is why we ended up moving to Canada a few weeks ago to try and fulfill that need for something different.
    Lots of mates have done it and have some of their best memories from it. If it's something you've always wanted to do then that feeling won't leave you and it gets harder to do the older you get.
    Apparently it can get quite lonely and it's not all fun all the time (grotty hostels, missing home/mates etc) - so maybe think about why you're doing it - if it's something you've always wanted and think always will want then go for it but if it's just a knee jerk because of work/relationships etc then think carefully would be my advice.
    Lots of people go with very little money and find jobs etc so depending on the level of luxury you want, you don't have to have saved a lot beforehand.
    If you keep a grand spare/have access to a credit card then you know that if it goes pear shaped you can be home from anywhere within a day or 2 and at least you'll know you have it a go.
  • MattD said:

Anyone here done the whole pack your bags and go see the world thing?
    Currently 22 in a dead end job and just out of a relationship, so got the whole idea of running away in my head at the moment.

Anyone been there and done it? If so how was it out there, how old, how expensive, and how screwed were you when you came back?
    Id really like to do the whole Aus/Asia thing.

Not done it myself but plan to after Uni. A lot of 'gap yar' types at my uni and have had loads of convos with people who did pretty much that, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand then Australia and New Zealand. They all had the best times of their lives!

Go for it mate!
  • edited February 2015

• edited February 2015
    Ross_cafc said:

Haven't done it myself, planned to after uni but jobs came up for myself and the now mrs so we didn't go. Have tried to do most of our travelling via holidays but it's not quite the same. We've never really shifted the bug to want to go which is why we ended up moving to Canada a few weeks ago to try and fulfill that need for something different.
    Lots of mates have done it and have some of their best memories from it. If it's something you've always wanted to do then that feeling won't leave you and it gets harder to do the older you get.
    Apparently it can get quite lonely and it's not all fun all the time (grotty hostels, missing home/mates etc) - so maybe think about why you're doing it - if it's something you've always wanted and think always will want then go for it but if it's just a knee jerk because of work/relationships etc then think carefully would be my advice.
    Lots of people go with very little money and find jobs etc so depending on the level of luxury you want, you don't have to have saved a lot beforehand.
    If you keep a grand spare/have access to a credit card then you know that if it goes pear shaped you can be home from anywhere within a day or 2 and at least you'll know you have it a go.

Alway's been in the back of my mind but never really considered it seriously before. I've always liked that sort of thing. I once went to Yosemite when I was younger and absolutely loved it up in the mountains.

Like you say, as long as you have a little spare then you can get back home if you cant hack it, which is easy enough to keep aside. I guess the main thing for me is it feels like a big luxury, going away for months on end. Is it really a good idea to give up a job for few months/year away! Probably not my mind says!

An old friend from school is currently down there. From what I gather on Facebook he is just flying around on a motorbike climbing mountains and fishing with his hands. Some of the pictures are amazing, I am really jealous!

Another thing is I don't think any of my lot would be up for it so id be going alone. A girl I know has always wanted to go alone and I always found that a bit weird, although she is good at meeting new people. I'm not exactly outgoing!
  • You'd never be alone, as long as you stay in Youth Hostels you'd meet people instantly.

Lonely Planet gives great advise on places to stay to meet others.

I absolutely love living out here and being ablt to get on a bus to places like Laos/Vietnam/Thailand etc is amazing but you do meet some proper assholes too. I remember one girl in Laos being shocked that a few of us had to work to live, we didn't just rely on mummy and daddys credit card.

If you do decide to give it a try, I'd say you should always have enough cash to get yourself home.
  • If you have the opportunity and the inclination to do it then if I was you, I would look into it plan it and then do it in a heartbeat, you get one life and it's down to you to live it, at 22 you can lose a year with no impact on your life, you are a long time in the real world and it's very easy to become tied in with debt, jobs etc,

I don't have any regrets in life and I wouldn't change a thing, but I have so many places to visit that will either have to wait until the kids grow up or do the trips as a family holiday and not a travelling trip

Do it, do it properly, do the hostels do the cheap travel when you get to each country and go places that you can only do as a single care free man, take no risks and plan it carefully

It sounds to me if you don't you will always wonder
  • And the emergency fund to get you home leave at home and give it to someone you trust to get the tickets home so you don't lose it or spend it, get insurance and get a card that allows you to put different currency on it ensuring you don't lose the cash
  • Best thing I ever did....although be prepared for it to change your life forever. I knew I could never come back and work/live in the UK full time. As Stu says meeting people isn't an issue and you'll have some great experiences.
  • Had a great time. Get a credit card to fall back on in case of an emergency and go for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• MattD said:

I'm glad you mentioned your age. I thought you may have been Bob Peeters for a minute.
  • edited February 2015
    Seriously think you should go for it. At your age you have nothing to lose and nothing stopping you.

As has been said, just make sure you have the money to get back.

You won't regret it. I did it many moons ago to South America. The only downside was that I met my future wife whilst on my travels.
  • edited February 2015
    I did it at your age. Don't worry about emergency funds to get home as if you buy an around the world ticket it brings you home. Tho they only last a year. So might be a prob if you want to spend some time either side travelling before you get to Australia. The working visa is a year. I managed to change my flight back and was away 17 months that trip. Do it. It will be the best time of your life.

edit, i thinkt he working visa has changed since i went. Can stay longer i believe.
  • edited February 2015
    I've done four months in South America and two and a half in SE Asia. South America wins in every way possible.

Both places have many hostels with better decor and hygiene than many hotels. Pick ones with bars and you're sorted.

If you go to Asia then please don't give
    money to anyone exploiting wildlife (elephant 'trekking', tiger temple, loris & gibbon photo props, monkey shows).
  • Went travelling for a year with my wife when we turned 30. Best decision ever. Got a round the world ticket and went to south america, aus/nz, south east Asia. Amazing. We probably spent about 30k all in, rounded up. We did a bit of voluntary work in aus to save money, stayed with a people we met whilst travelling in south america! South east Asia can be pretty cheap, so think about how long you spend in each place depending on your money.
  • Do it, you'll never regret it. Can't really offer any advice, did the far east but was 25 years ago. I'll never forget the feeling of freedom when we landed in Bangkok, no job to worry about getting back to being the main thing.
  • Definitely going to look into it a bit more, anyone got more views on the costs?
    Currently repaying a loan but could potentially pay that off with my cars!
  • MattD said:

Definitely going to look into it a bit more, anyone got more views on the costs?
    Currently repaying a loan but could potentially pay that off with my cars!

Better keep one car to get to the airport
  • Who would water the plants and feed the cat while you were away?
  • I did it back in 2007 when I finished Uni. I was 22, went traveling with a mate for about 5 months (LA-Fiji-New Zealand-Australia-Thailand).

Was the best thing I ever did! I'm now engaged with a mortgage so I'm so glad that I did it when I had the chance.

Everyone is different but if you're tempted to go, do it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I did it before going to Uni, cant recommend it enough. Did Asia and Australia and it was an amazing 4 months.
  • 100% do it. I had been wanting to do it for years (since about your age) but didn't have the money / tied in a bit to my job but managed to get 9 weeks off last year to go round South America aged 27. Wasn't anything like long enough so much more to see, still have a desire to go again and do more but it is a hard thing to do - when you are that bit older the idea of coming back to nothing no savings etc is that bit harder as you've become more accustomed to life etc.

As others have said, you just won't regret it. In my entire 9 weeks I didn't have a single bad day (even the 1 night where I was up all night being sick with food poisoning). Spent plenty of time on long 16 hour bus journeys etc which I was dreading beforehand but actually when it happens they're all part of it and can be quite enjoyable. Going away for a long time you get really removed from everything / reality / stresses of normal life and basically every day you wake up with stuff to look forward to. Can take it easy a bit as time isn't so pressured.

If you can afford it, I would try and do it now mate. Do a bit now then if you're lucky you might get another opportunity to go again for a bit maybe with a bird or something down the line.
  • If I could turn the clock back 35 years, I'd definitely do it. Life is out there ...
  • Went round the states for 6 weeks, best time of my life. My girlfriend went 6 months round the world and she wouldn't change it.

Do it.
  • Negotiated 6 months off work in a similar situation when I was 26 and had enough saved that I could just go off. Spent time mainly in Aus/NZ and got a hell of a lot out of it. I'd only been abroad for the first time when I was about 23, and in retrospect I would have been more adventurous about where I went if I'd had more confidence (i.e. more time in Asia or include Latin America). But I would say pick where you want to go, be open to possibilities and go for it. You can research where and whatever, get a round the world ticket, but crucially spending time somewhere means any visit doesn't feel like it is rushed. The bits I remember best from Aus/NZ were where I struck out on my own/with folks I hooked up with there and spent time getting off the beaten track and seeing the things everyone expects you to see.

Since having kids anything like this is totally off the agenda (plus my other half isn't as prepared to slum it as I am).
    And typing this has made me realise that was just over half a lifetime ago. Feeling a tiny bit jealous.... but you definitely should go for it
  • I've done it twice, aged 18 and 27.

Although I had more money to spend the second time around, I probably preferred it when I was younger (less cynical, with less vitriolic hatred for some of the inevitable Guardian-reading, tofu-munching, carbon-offsetting prats that you meet along the way).

If you get a chance you should do it, if only because you'll appreciate the UK more when you get back.
  • Do it. I am now 30 years old married etc and one regret I have is that I never did travel.

Dont leave it and regret it.
  • Mates did 9 months in Oz when we were 21/22

I didnt go as was in a 4 year relationship.
    She dumped me 4 weeks before they left - no time for me to save up required funds for visa etc.

Still gutted 22 years later when they talk about it.

I did go island hopping round Thailand when took redundancy when 36 though but was single then.
  • oh and you only need two things to meet people when backpacking.

A bar with a pool table or that shows Premier league football.
  • I did it, went around the world for 6 months, but later in life as a career break. A great time, lots of younger people do it, there's quite a circuit of backpackers in Asia and Australia. Coming back was hard, but after a few months you'll be back in the drudge and routine.

Just make sure you plan it beforehand, it's a once in a lifetime event probably, so make sure you do what you want to do, and tick of some great experiences that you'll remember with happiness when you are old, and which will look good to future employers.

But beware of unforeseen events, I go travelling in 2006, and Alan Curbishley goes and leaves Charlton while I'm gone. He probably saw my empty seat on the East Stand, and realised that it was time to go...