Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Moon.

In a lot of films the moon is a much larger than it is in the UK. Is this just poetic license or does the moon appear larger in some parts of the world?

Comments

• Options
    The moon is the same size that it's always been, Wayne.

;o)
  • Options
    The moon is upside down on the other side of the equator.
  • Options
    There is every now and again a "Super Moon". So, if it is both a full moon and closer than average it will appear larger.

I would upload a comparison picture but the site won't let me still.

According to timeanddate.com - a great web site - the moon is presently 360,999 km from Chelmsford. On 28th Feb it will be 399,278 km away. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    I heard a bloke in the pub say he knows somebody that told him our view was downsized by the last labour government as it was only the middle classes that could reach for it...of course, whether that is true or not...
  • Options
    There is also the "Moon Illusion" which means that the moon looks larger when it is near the horizon.
  • Options
    The bastard's moved already, it's now 361,042 km away!
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Heading over to Chelmsford this afternoon, how far away will it be then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafcfan said:

At 14:28hrs it will be 361,945 km. :smile: BTW in Chelmsford the solar noon today is actually at 12:12 hrs. So you might think it's the afternoon but it might not be!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    As mentioned above, it moves away three centimetres every year and once upon a time, it was so close that it would fly around Earth really fast, creating a giant lava wave that was way more impressive than the one in Interstellar!
  • Options
    The moon doesn't really exist it's all a conspiracy theory.
  • Options
    Dont care... I'm over the thing since last nights win
  • Options
    Everyone's in a good mood today :smile:
  • Options

cafcfan said:

How fast are you driving?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

There is every now and again a "Super Moon". So, if it is both a full moon and closer than average it will appear larger.

I would upload a comparison picture but the site won't let me still.

According to timeanddate.com - a great web site - the moon is presently 360,999 km from Chelmsford. On 28th Feb it will be 399,278 km away. Hope that helps.

we had a run of Super Moons at some point last year - very impressive phenomenon
  • Options
    As seen from my garden......

• Options
    TelMc32 said:

cafcfan said:

How fast are you driving?
    I'm not, she is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope RD doesn't see how amazing it is, will no doubt just ship it over to Belgium
  • Options
    It is only a paper moon Sailing over a cardboard sea, But it wouldn't be make believe If you believed in me. It is only a canvas sky Hanging over a muslin tree, etc .. Nat King Cole
  • Options
    WayneK said:

In a lot of films the moon is a much larger than it is in the UK. Is this just poetic license or does the moon appear larger in some parts of the world?

What do you expect from something made entirely of cheese?
  • Options
    Used to be bigger before Bailey's penalty took a chunk out of it.
  • Options
    Plus Gru shrank it!
  • Options
    WayneK said:

'Apollo 13' was particularly guilty of this I thought.

And 'Moon'.
  • Options

WayneK said:

And 'Moon'.
    All of Moon is on the moon
  • Options
    WayneK said:

Are you sure it isn't Uranus?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

WayneK said:

And 'Moon'.
    All of Moon is on the moon
    I know.

Must have taken them ages to think of a title.