Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How many more points required to secure Championship status?

So after two back to back wins and now sitting 12th in the table, are we still relegation candidates? Discuss.

Comments

• Traditionally the best relegated squad has between 43-50 points. Millwall on pace to have 46 points. Not out of the woods yet but pretty close.
  • 10-15 more points will do it.
  • We're not safe yet, but the bottom 2 look doomed.

The 3rd relegation spot is still REALLY wide open, could be any one up to even Blackburn!
  • edited February 2015

10-15 more points will do it.

I'm with you mate but with 45 points still to play for those below us (except Wigan) is that enough? You are a man with a penchant for figures, go on, really convince the rest of us :wink:
  • Take Blackpool and Wigan out of the equation now. It is going to take such an upturn of form for either to survive now.

Based on how it looks at the moment you have

21st - Brighton P 31 - PTS 31 (average 1 point a game)
    -------------------------
    22nd - Millwall P 31 - PTS 30
    23rd - Wigan P 32 - PTS 25
    24th - Blackpool P 31 - PTS 22

Based on this table Brighton ought to finish in 21st with 46 points so in theory you would say 47 points would be enough to stay up so another 8 points from our last 14 games ought to be enough as a bare minimum.

Blackpool would need 25 points from 15 games as a bare minimum which is play-offs form. Not going to happen.
    Wigan would need 22 points from 14 games as a bare miniumum which again is play-offs form. Not going to happen.

8 points as a minimum but could vary dependent if there's an unlikely upturn in form in particular to Millwall and Brighton. 8 points from 14 games isn't even Blackpool form...we'll be fine.
  • We'll be fine. Only 14 off the play offs now.....
  • We'll be fine. Only 14 off the play offs now.....

I thought about that alternative but glad you threw it onto the melting pot. :wink:
  • More worried about how many points for 6th place.
  • Whether Birmingham get the 10 point deduction or not could make a big difference this season, as their form has just started to stall slightly.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2015

More worried about how many points for 6th place.

We need a GIF Abs :wink:
  • Safe from relegation? We're winning the league
  • 11 more points to be sure of championship football next season.
  • Nowhere near safe yet, a week is a long time in football (as our last 2 results have shown). Both Brighton and Millwall have 2 winnable home games in the next 4 days.

I still think that come May it'll be Rotherham taking the 3rd relegation spot along with Wigan and Blackpool
  • Not sure anyone else has noticed, but the rest of the league still have to play today.
    If Brighton and Millwall win (OK, a pretty big if, but still...) then we're only 5 points clear of the relegation zone.
  • Think P'Boro went with 56 in 2013, last year was less, I think it will be even less this season as well because there are so many in the scrap, I'd say 48 keeps you safe.
  • As it stands, with 12 teams, below us ........ everything is in our own hands.

One or two teams from the basement may go on a run - they all must play each other, so they can't all get maximum points.

We need to look upwards rather than down.

• Four wins or equivalent I reckon.

As Oggy says the teams below us will be playing each other.

We are 12th now but could plummet quite a few places by this evening.

The Championship is an incredibly tight division.
  • Not sure anyone else has noticed, but the rest of the league still have to play today.
    If Brighton and Millwall win (OK, a pretty big if, but still...) then we're only 5 points clear of the relegation zone.

This is true but it then sucks in quite a few other teams. Very rarely do you get the bottom 8/9 teams all winning. We've given ourselves a massive cushion and confidence boost with these 2 wins. Something I thought was fantasy only just over a week ago. I reckon 53pts
  • Oggy Red said:

As it stands, with 12 teams, below us ........ everything is in our own hands.

One or two teams from the basement may go on a run - they all must play each other, so they can't all get maximum points.

Oggy logically you are right but you are an old git like me.

Put your hand on your heart and tell me honestly that you don't look at league tables from the bottom up when looking for Charlton!
  • Sponsored links:

• We need Fulham to beat the Spanners, thus keeping us 9 pts above them.
  • RedChaser said:

So after two back to back wins and now sitting 12th in the table, are we still relegation candidates? Discuss.

no, but mainly because we have found our backbone and our Spine.

Our Spine, in last two games:
    Henderson, Johnson,Cousins and Watt/Igor.

We can now see what i and many others thought that it wasn't injury or loss of form for Igor but being played as a lone striker or with George who i know he found hard to play with as he told me at Bromley when i asked that direct question. Seeing Igor score and get his Mojo back is effing fantastic.

I'd say that our spine includes TBH rather then Johnson. Johnson has added some strength and consistency but could be replaced with Gomez or Bikey when needed. TBH dealt with so much last night.
  • 9 points is a lot to make up for a side averaging less than a point a game.
  • LenGlover said:

Oggy Red said:

As it stands, with 12 teams, below us ........ everything is in our own hands.

Oggy logically you are right but you are an old git like me.

Put your hand on your heart and tell me honestly that you don't look at league tables from the bottom up when looking for Charlton!
    Me an old git, Len? ....... I'm a lot younger than you, you know! ;o)

Seriously, a week or 2 ago I was looking at the teams below us, and TBH even I was getting anxious.

But football is a confidence game - and momentum will carry you forward.

As we discussed, the teams below us can't all win, all of the time - whether playing each other or teams at the top of the table, on a good run.

With 14 matches to play it's completely in our own hands.
    We've won 2 successive matches and building momentum.

There's some tough matches coming up (we might not get anything at Derby),
    but we've got goals in the team now, confidence and momentum - so no reason to be anxious about relegation.

I look at the teams around us, upwards rather than down.

• We are only 21 points off top place, all to play for. Our Goal difference might let us down.
  • just get to 50 points.

and don't completely discount all the bottom three. don't forget the run we went on when we looked dead and buried (playoff form).
  • Shrew said:

RedChaser said:

no, but mainly because we have found our backbone and our Spine.

Our Spine, in last two games:
    Henderson, Johnson,Cousins and Watt/Igor.

We can now see what i and many others thought that it wasn't injury or loss of form for Igor but being played as a lone striker or with George who i know he found hard to play with as he told me at Bromley when i asked that direct question. Seeing Igor score and get his Mojo back is effing fantastic.

I'd say that our spine includes TBH rather then Johnson. Johnson has added some strength and consistency but could be replaced with Gomez or Bikey when needed. TBH dealt with so much last night.
    TBH still my player of the season
  • Bring back the E Stat.
  • Millwall vs Fulham will be a dire battle I imagine, Millwall terrible at home, Fulham no win in 4
    Or Brighton (no win in 4) vs Birmingham (no win in 6)
    Then there's Cardiff (no win in 6)

It's nice that we're no longer the team with the terrible streak!
  • My target for Luzon and the regime when he was appointed was 80 points. To meet that target we need to win our remaining games (81 points), if we draw one and get 79 points it won't be too bad.
    Aspirations. I like to win, don't like to lose.