Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Transport Links to The Valley

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite] CharltonDan:[/cite]
    [cite] AFKA Bartram:[/cite]How much is a bus journey these days anyway.......

Anout 800 quid these days! I think its going up again to 2 pounds! To get on a fricking bus!
  • Options
    Word in your ears: Oystercard.
  • Options
    Fair enough inspector, but what if you drive to work and only get the bus occasionally?
  • Options
    and what if you;ve had it explained to you in the past, yet still don't know what an oyster card is ????

:-)
  • Options
    Then it's there in your wallet case you need it, or you can lend it to someone who does need it. It'll pay for itself once you've used it a few times.

Actually, you know what I'd like to see? Smartcard ticketing at The Valley (and all London clubs), which also turns into a travelcard on matchdays. A bit like they did at the World Cup, where a match ticket (in Berlin) doubled as an all-day travel pass. How good would that be?
  • Options
    [cite] AFKA Bartram:[/cite]and what if you;ve had it explained to you in the past, yet still don't know what an oyster card is ????

Hehehe, you're talking to someone whose only experience of driving involved being barked at by an instructor on the Sidcup by-pass...
  • Options
    [cite] AFKA Bartram:[/cite]and what if you;ve had it explained to you in the past, yet still don't know what an oyster card is ????

I will agree there afka! Had it explained loads, just cant get my tiny brain round it!
  • Options
    Right, if you're REALLY stuck... it costs a one-off £3 deposit, you load it with cash, and you use it to pay for your bus fares at a discounted rate (80p instead of £1.50). Also works on the Tube and DLR, and eventually it'll work on the trains. You can top it up in shops, stations, and by phone/online. If you don't use public transport often, then you can lend it to someone else. It's a bit like phonecards used to be.

They're the kind of thing you have to use to understand, but once you've used it a few times you'll have saved the deposit, and be fuming at the person who's scrabbling around for £1.50 at the front of the bus...
  • Options
    That does make sense, yoyu see my mrs gets one for £50 pound a month, and i have to pick her up 40% of the time as i cant expect her to get the bus at 10pm! This is possibly why i have struggles dealing with this 'Oyster card' thingameejig!!

Have to leave for bluewater now, but is takin driving lessons so hope it wont be for much longer.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    [cite] Ketman:[/cite]
    If not fussed about drinkin or need to be somewhere staright after game then Drive M2 A2 park outside Ollie's Gaff then walk the rest of the way.

how big is ollies gaff?
    surely 04-mcs, you could charge for the privilige of parking at your gaff, then you wouldn't need an oyster. you could take a helicopter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Re: the Oyster cards - the Inspector's analogy is pretty good, but don't think of how phonecards used to be - think of pre-pay mobiles, it's exactly the same. Carry your mobile around with some credit on it and pay 10-15p for a call or have to stump-up at least 20p in cash in a phone box.

The Oyster is effectively your pre-pay mobile

Ok - that all sounded good in my head...you decide!
  • Options
    i'm no good with mobiles either !

think i'm gonna have to get one for the sake of it.
  • Options
    Drive Lancaster to Bedford
    Train to Charlton via London Bridge
    Only takes 5 hours and costs about £100 - don't do it very often!
  • Options
    Mainly drive. Normally park at my mum and dad's flats at the top of Bramhope Lane (gated so nice and safe) and walk down to the Liberal club. Have a pint in there and then on to the game.

I would prefer to catch a bus or train so I can drink without watching the amount but it's either the long and winding road of the 161 or into london bridge/Lewisham and then out again. Not so bad on the way there but a nightmare trying to get a train on the upside after a match. So I walk back via the Village and that sweet shop that sells penny chews and chocalate ciggies, have a cuppa at the parents, watch the post match chat and tables while the traffic clears and go home.
  • Options
    [cite] InspectorSands:[/cite]Word in your ears: Oystercard.

Its not worth me getting one as I walk to Sidcup station and get the overland.....
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    [cite] 04_MCS:[/cite]
    [cite] CharltonDan:[/cite]
    [cite] AFKA Bartram:[/cite]How much is a bus journey these days anyway.......

Anout 800 quid these days! I think its going up again to 2 pounds! To get on a fricking bus!

£2!!! Jeez. I remeber when bus fares went DOWN from 10p to 8p.... Ok that was in the early 80s but 2 quid.....
  • Options
    4 hours of driving, parking at the other side of Charlton Park.
  • Options
    @Inspector: It would make great sense to have this new card system put in place during the building of the East Stand, tying this into a deal with TfL to implement your idea, assuaging somewhat the Councils fears around transport and modernising the ticketing system in one stroke. Everyone happy and all sorted.