Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Clive Harris talk in Charlton House tomorrow

Hi, I dunno if this has been posted elsewhere and posting quick as following Wigan game - Clive Harris giving talk in Charlton House tomorrow afternoon - it's mentioned in this article on Charlton Champion website http://charltonchampion.co.uk

Comments

• Ooo thats my Wedding Venue too
  • Hold on @ForeverAddickted is marrying Orville?
  • Not a bad looking bird tbf Fum pal
  • We had our wedding reception in Charlton House too.

How did you find it as a Wedding Venue... We're having both the Ceremony / Reception there but it was the reception area that attracted us to the venue

How did you find it as a Wedding Venue... We're having both the Ceremony / Reception there but it was the reception area that attracted us to the venue
    Loved it mate...sun was out, so we could use the grounds too.
    It was June 1996 I might add....there was no where for the caterers to do hot food, so we had a salad!
    Great day.
  • centurion said:

Hi, I dunno if this has been posted elsewhere and posting quick as following Wigan game - Clive Harris giving talk in Charlton House tomorrow afternoon - it's mentioned in this article on Charlton Champion website http://charltonchampion.co.uk

At 2.30pm today if you want to pop along.
  • Illness keeps me away but hope it goes well.
  • My son tells me there is a good turnout, room is full.m
  • Sponsored links:

• Ha ha.

Clive was hoping for 20 non-fans.
  • Latest from my son:

Interval now. Fascinating talk. Up to First World War at moment. He's a great speaker.
  • Great talk - very engaging for a historian - I have some university colleagues past and present who are first world war historians & they don't get to the point quite as succinctly or elegantly as Clive. Learnt a few new things and I've been researching some of the same stuff about Blackheath/Arsenal origins so that was great reinforcement as well. Also a few bits of info I am going to look further into as well.
    Very good way to spend a Saturday afternoon, and great promotion for the museum.
  • edited February 2015
    He is very good at engaging people and telling a story is our Clive.

I think he should do the next talk too : - )
  • On the pitch at half time some day to promote the museum to our younger fans!
  • centurion said:

On the pitch at half time some day to promote the museum to our younger fans!

He's already done that when the museum put the war memorial up.
  • A very enjoyable talk. As @centurion mentioned, Clive is very engaging, and brings a great amount of enthusiasm and knowledge towards the subject.
    So many facts as to why we are such a unique and special club. Learnt a lot about our early years that I was not previously aware of. All sorts of anecdotes from the beginning in 1905 up to the 30s. A mix of beautiful, emotional, humorous and traditional stories.

A photo from a 1906 Arsenal game with an advert for Woolwich Grand Theatre was particularly stirring after Wednesdays meeting.
  • Great speaker, a most enjoyable talk and well worth the £2 to get in.
  • @Henry Irving - must have been at the bar in the west stand and missed it :(
  • Badger said:

Great speaker, a most enjoyable talk and well worth the £2 to get in.

Blimey Badger I'm glad I managed to live up to such a financial outlay and that you didn't mention the free tea and biscuits in that! :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Some of us felt that it was value enough with the talk and the cup of tea never mind the bonus of a free biscuit!
  • edited February 2015

Full house at the Charlton Society for the talk on the early days and history of @CAFCofficial #cafc pic.twitter.com/FhyDEHUVNd

— The Charlton Society (@TheCharltonSoc) February 21, 2015
  • SE7toSG3 said:

Badger said:

Great speaker, a most enjoyable talk and well worth the £2 to get in.

Blimey Badger I'm glad I managed to live up to such a financial outlay and that you didn't mention the free tea and biscuits in that! :wink:
    It was the 97 year old woman with the interesting chat during the break that was worth the £2 & btw the Tea and biscuits was an extra quid on top :smiley:
  • edited February 2015
    £2?

Rip offf merchant.

He makes it all up anyway.
  • The chap sitting to the left of the screen is a Norwich supporter, a West ham Supporter also turned up.
  • Clive is reviving his successful talk at the museum on the evening of 28th April.

£5 to museum members and £10 for non-members