Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Operation Ewood - Flying v Coach

edited April 2007 in General Charlton
Just had a serious thought about flying, then found out the details.
Flight from Gatwick 0940. You are supposed to book in by 0810 but I'm sure you could be later. Flight home 2015 from Liverpool.
Well I would probably have to leave home at 0730 at the latest and be home at 2230 at the earliest. With both my sons this would cost £180.
Coach - Walk to Well Hall for 0745 pick up means leaving home at 0730. OK a long journey on coach but it is just one journey. Back at Eltham possibly at 2300. Far easier to sleep on a coach for me and my boys. The flight involves driving to Gatwick and back and coach from Liverpool and back, and hanging around at airports.
The coach is free.
I think I have ruled out flying.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2007
    You may be right. Certainly a few of the coaches got back more or less the same time as us that flew from Boro. However, my son and I are still getting the plane as I don't fancy that long on a coach.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Can't drink on the coach, can drink in the airport lounge.

Your argument is null and void ;-)
  • Options
    the early start is going to be a bit of a pain, and i'm only two stops away from clapham junction where i can pick the gatwick train up from...but flying means that, in theory, no one leg of my journeying is going to be more than one hour (if quite that) and there'll be plenty of opportunities to eat and drink and generally stretch my legs along the way so boredom isn't going to set in...
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Can't drink on the coach, can drink in the airport lounge.

Your argument and null and void ;-)
    lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Can't drink on the coach, can drink in the airport lounge.

I don't drink between 8-9.30 in the morning. Coach will get to Blackburn at 1300 latest. Plenty of time to drink then, and some decent ale rather than fizzy euro pop. For the sake of a couple of crappy lagers at Liverpool airport I think I've made the right decision.
  • Options
    Make you right Dj Davey, and also train + or cab prices to add on top.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]

I don't drink between 8-9.30 in the morning. Coach will get to Blackburn at 1300 latest. Plenty of time to drink then, and some decent ale rather than fizzy euro pop. For the sake of a couple of crappy lagers at Liverpool airport I think I've made the right decision.

We thought this for Man City, arrived 10mins before kick off, never underestimate traffic.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Arriving 10 mins beforeMan City on the coach was not really the traffic's fault, it was the idiotic woman driver missing the manchester turn off and heading for the stockport turn off.

Which turned me right off lol, hopefully the drivers should be better , due to it being more organised.
  • Options
    I think Minibus will be the slowest mode of trasnport due to the number of P*** stops !
  • Options
    The Man City fiasco was a bit of a one off. Massive road works, Bank Holiday, Dopey drivers etc.
    I've done the trip up NW enough times to know that it is not always that bad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]The Man City fiasco was a bit of a one off. Massive road works, Bank Holiday, Dopey drivers etc.
    With taht many coaches i can forsee the local authorities making sure that you don't get to the ground until 2.15 at the earliest. It always happens like that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]The Man City fiasco was a bit of a one off. Massive road works, Bank Holiday, Dopey drivers etc.
    With taht many coaches i can forsee the local authorities making sure that you don't get to the ground until 2.15 at the earliest. It always happens like that.

Yep, hence why loads of coaches end up stopping at the final services for sometime's up to an hour...
  • Options
    davey dave. you have made the right decision, and i will win the race with 1905!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]

I'm not that bothered. I can go to a match without getting boozed. I've got an i-pod, a radio and I work a very, very long week. I can kip anywhere and a few hours on a Saturday will be very unusual and most welcome.
  • Options
    PLANE IS THE WINNER.

I got a coach to man city ended up sitting alone due to me and my mate being in a two and loads of people in threes.

I would much rather sit on a plane for 50 minutes and lounge around at the airport than sitting on the coach listening to some twat talk about charlton who hasn't got a clue.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Oh come on! What makes you think you'd end up next to me???!!!
  • Options
    I'm taking no chances with hold ups. I'm setting off at 4.00pm on Friday afternoon! Up the M1 (roadworks south of Luton) to Sheffield. Stop over at the in-laws. Drop wife and kids off. Fry-up around 10.00 for breakfast. Pick up SX junior and his girlfriend and arrive in Blackburn by 12.30.

Adrenalin's kicking in already.