Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Job Advice Please

Just wondered if I could get some advice from the University of Charlton Life.

The company I’m working at is going through a restructure which will result in about 25% of people made redundant. Everyone has been put on notice and has to apply for jobs (maybe their current role or maybe another). In a redundancy scenario, I would not be entitled to any payment. From looking at the new structure, I believe that I stand a good chance of holding on to my current role, if I want it. My lease runs out shortly on my flat, so it would be a gamble to renew and hope. I don’t desperately want it anyway. I don’t have any ties to where I am in Scotland.

For personal/family reasons, it might be better to move closer to Bristol. Right now, I’m a fair bit from where my family are based and it’s not easy to get to visit. When the announcement was made, I started to look for jobs in Bristol, and applied for one in particular. I’ve had two phone interviews and it seems I am at an advanced stage in the process for this role. The more they’ve told me about it, the more it is clear that they don’t really know what the role will do and they’re not sure what they want. What they’ve described so far as ‘definites’ seem dull, but the ‘possibles’ could be very interesting. I don’t want to push myself too far to make myself open to the ‘possibles’, because then it looks like I’m indecisive and I’m going to be bored by the role (they have already suggested this as a possibility).

I’ll have to go to Bristol for a face-to-face interview soon if I want to have a chance of getting the job. So far they have been very accommodating and they’re not in a rush to fill the position, but if I want it, I won’t want them going back out to advertise. So I’ll have to get time off for the interview, which itself will be difficult given things are busy/hectic at work (holidays are available by exception only).

I had another look at the jobs available at my company, and one in particular stands out as something I’d be interested in. It suits my skills potential and covers the kind of work I would be most interested in, but is different to what I’m doing at the moment. It’s at least two pay grades above my level (probably three), and the language in the job description is ‘new’, but when I’ve researched the contents before, the experience is the main thing that’s new, as well as some of the soft skills. I believe in terms of technical skills, it might be one level above where I am, but I completely accept that experience would shine out ahead of me. If I was to go into the role, I would not expect a pay rise. That’s not the reason why I’m interested in it. It’s the role itself that I would find interesting. Obviously there would be costs in training me up. They likely want steady hands for the job. I’m getting to an age/career where if I change tack once too often I’ll look easily bored on my CV.

The other option is to go out on my own, which I would love to do and have an idea for, but it would take me some time to set that up and get my skills up to scratch. Based on my idea, either my current job or the Bristol one could be useful to build up know-how. More likely my current role.

So I think I need to tell my boss I’m thinking of leaving and have to go to an interview in Bristol. Ultimately, I can see that being considered a resignation and possibly/probably “my role” being removed from the restructure. If I want to pursue the Bristol job, I don’t think I actually have any other option, short of lying to them. Should I even consider going for the other job in my company, and if so, what would be the best way to play it? Or should I stay where I am/go out alone?

Comments

• edited February 2015
    IA, it is a very interesting dilemma. If I have learnt anything in life (and I am 52 this year...) it is to go with your gut feeling and do not tie yourself up in knots over thinking things you have so little control over in reality. It is a very difficult skill but you must try and divorce yourself from the ifs and buts. Where do YOU want to be? The last thing you want is to be twenty years on with regrets but that my friend is life i am afraid sometimes. For now, go with your gut feeling.

Good luck.
  • I think if you given notice of redundancy u are entitled to time off for interviews?
    I could be wrong ?
    But as soapy says don't have regrets over what ifs
    Go with what will make u and ur family the best chance of happiness
    Remember Life is short
    Make it a happy one
  • If you do decide to leave - because you have no housing tie to the area and a possible opportunity in Bristol, then you may make a space at your current place for someone who is desperate to stay in work there / in that location.

If true, the law of karma will come round to repay you and just like Lennon promised - we will all shine on.
  • I think if you given notice of redundancy u are entitled to time off for interviews?
    I could be wrong ?

think this is only after 2 years employment which I would assume is not the case if IA is not entitled to a payoff

• I'm not entitled to a payoff because I'm an agency worker. That in itself puts me at greater risk than average, especially that the company seems to equate "contractor" with "money-grabbing bastard". I'm paid less than my staff contemporaries, but many others are expensive Limited Companies. Strictly speaking, I've not been officially notified so while I have the service history, I don't think the interview rule would apply. I wasn't aware of it, so thanks for advising.

It's certainly possible that other people would want the job, but I believe I've managed to land myself in a "wouldn't touch with a bargepole" role at the moment.

Thanks all for the advice.
  • Depends how good you think your management are at balancing long term strategy with short term gain. I have seen too many restructures where 4 posts have been merged into 3, and the one who gets the boot is either the one they have to pay the least redundancy for, or the one who is on the highest salary so will be more expensive long term, regardless of experience. Don't make plans based on what you think will be the sensible option if getting shot of you is the cheap one.

Consequently, personal gut feeling is to go for the Bristol job. Even if it isn't all you'd like it to be now, once you've got your feet under the table you can start building your own personal empire look for ways you can show your worth and expand the role into something a bit more interesting. Even if it's a bit on the dull side, hopefully the benefits of being closer to family will outweigh that. I don't see how your current employers can consider just going to interview elsewhere as a resignation, and in some respects it'll make thier lives easier if you get it, so it would be silly for them to stand in your way.
  • If you are going to have to move/change jobs go where a) the money is; b) where the jobs are; and c) where the Valley is... London
  • IA, it is a very interesting dilemma. If I have learnt anything in life (and I am 52 this year...) it is to go with your gut feeling and do not tie yourself up in knots over thinking things you have so little control over in reality. It is a very difficult skill but you must try and divorce yourself from the ifs and buts. Where do YOU want to be? The last thing you want is to be twenty years on with regrets but that my friend is life i am afraid sometimes. For now, go with your gut feeling.

Good luck.

This is the best advice IA. Good luck with it and keep us updated. The site is really good for this and people will also give advice.
  • That post was far too long. Didn't read it but I assume you're looking for a job so hope that goes well. Maybe be more succinct in future.