Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone feel a bit sorry for Roland?

He bought the club for serious money. His money that he earn't as a successful entrepreneur. Not some oil/gas billionaire, oligarch or dodgy businessman.
There has been a negative vibe promoted by a sub section of fans ever since he arrived.
His investment in sorting out our pitch, which was a disgrace is ignored.
His investment in the team again is ignored or considered not good enough.
He has been accused of picking the team, buying us to be a feeder team for SL and selling our players to make a profit. (None of which has happened).
I bet a lot of clubs would love to have him as there owner. I think we are very lucky. Especially after Slater & Co.
Personally I am embarrassed by all of this. Especially tonights meeting. Makes us look like a bunch of ingrates.

Comments

• I'm not saying you haven't got a point but if I agreed with you we would both be wrong
  • edited February 2015
  • Agree completely with this post!!
  • Good post Abs
  • could be worse for us - see standard liege lol
  • Sponsored links:

• I did but not anymore.

He is ruthless, clueless and inflexible in equal measures with a stack of cash most us could only earn in centuries.

Poor bloke!

Are we supposed to tug our forelock at him now?!
  • IAgree said:

I did but not anymore.

He is ruthless, clueless and inflexible in equal measures with a stack of cash most us could only earn in centuries.

Poor bloke!

Source?
  • IAgree said:

I did but not anymore.

Poor bloke!

Source?
    He is very rich otherwise he wouldn't own lots of football clubs and had a private fortune before went into football.

He has shown how ruthless he can be over and over again - At this club and at others

He is inflexible and seldom changes his mind in response to others ideas which is why the Liege fans call him rain man.

He appears to have no real strategy for this or other clubs as evidenced by the apparent confusion around his strategy.

Source! It's a football forum not at PhD thesis!

Sorry but I can think of lots of people to feel sorry for but this bloke ain't one of them

• IAgree said:

IAgree said:

I did but not anymore.

Poor bloke!

Source?
    He is very rich otherwise he wouldn't own lots of football clubs and had a private fortune before went into football.

He has shown how ruthless he can be over and over again - At this club and at others

He is inflexible and seldom changes his mind in response to others ideas which is why the Liege fans call him rain man.

He appears to have no real strategy for this or other clubs as evidenced by the apparent confusion around his strategy.

Source! It's a football forum not at PhD thesis!

Sorry but I can think of lots of people to feel sorry for but this bloke ain't one of them

So is he clueless or not?
    I am none the wiser after your random opinions.
  • He bought the club for serious money. His money that he earn't as a successful entrepreneur. Not some oil/gas billionaire, oligarch or dodgy businessman.
    *What difference does this make?

Well the difference is that he proves he isn't clueless, and most likely won't leave us in a financial pit.
    He hasn't paid off Dowie or some other know nothing and his very well paid agent for a million or two yet we haven't sunk to League 1 like last time.
    Sounds like prudent financial management to me.
    Which is nice.
  • He bought the club for serious money. His money that he earn't as a successful entrepreneur. Not some oil/gas billionaire, oligarch or dodgy businessman.

It means he probably understands the value of money and hasn't bought us as a toy like a super yacht. I bet he wants us to be successful but isn't going to spend like stupid.

There has been a negative vibe promoted by a sub section of fans ever since he arrived.
    *Do you think that they might have an agenda?

Yes.

*Hardly ignored. I have often seen positive comments about this aspect of his ownership. Most comments also tend to say this pales into insignificance when you see the rest of his ownership.

Don't get the pales into comment.

*I have not seen any reliable reports of money spent on getting players. But surely the costs are not the issue, they are how effective have the signings been I would say. Until the last match I would have thought that there is large majority ( my take) that would say that the signings overall have been sadly lacking when tried and trusted players have been let go without any seeming sense, explanation or effective replacements in general.

Danny Green vs Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson Hmmmm

He has been accused of picking the team, buying us to be a feeder team for SL and selling our players to make a profit. (None of which has happened).
    *He has been accused by more than one outgoing 'manager' and a coach of picking the team. Do you not believe them?

No.

I bet a lot of clubs would love to have him as there owner. I think we are very lucky. Especially after Slater & Co.
    Personally I am embarrassed by all of this. Especially tonights meeting. Makes us look like a bunch of ingrates.
    *I didn't attend the meeting so cannot comment, but I can't think of too many fans who would want RD and would suggest only those who's club is about to go to the wall would say OK, but 'love'?

Well the difference is that he proves he isn't clueless, and most likely won't leave us in a financial pit.
    He hasn't paid off Dowie or some other know nothing and his very well paid agent for a million or two yet we haven't sunk to League 1 like last time.
    Sounds like prudent financial management to me.
    Which is nice.
    Happy to agree with you that we need some financial stability and also not averse to sound and sensible business after the problems we have experienced over the years.

I think that we await the proof of the pudding with respect to RD and Charlton Athletic and tbf we all need to take a step back from making snap judgments. Of course it would help if RD felt able to be more open to his customers if he wants to keep all of them as such.
  • Sponsored links:

It means he probably understands the value of money and hasn't bought us as a toy like a super yacht. I bet he wants us to be . Absurdistan said:

He bought the club for serious money. His money that he earn't as a successful entrepreneur. Not some oil/gas billionaire, oligarch or dodgy businessman.

It means he probably understands the value of money and hasn't bought us as a toy like a super yacht. I bet he wants us to be successful but isn't going to spend like stupid.

*Do you think that they might have an agenda?

Yes.

*Hardly ignored. I have often seen positive comments about this aspect of his ownership. Most comments also tend to say this pales into insignificance when you see the rest of his ownership.

Don't get the pales into comment.

*I have not seen any reliable reports of money spent on getting players. But surely the costs are not the issue, they are how effective have the signings been I would say. Until the last match I would have thought that there is large majority ( my take) that would say that the signings overall have been sadly lacking when tried and trusted players have been let go without any seeming sense, explanation or effective replacements in general.

Danny Green vs Jóhann Berg Guðmundsson Hmmmm

*He has been accused by more than one outgoing 'manager' and a coach of picking the team. Do you not believe them?

No.

*I didn't attend the meeting so cannot comment, but I can't think of too many fans who would want RD and would suggest only those who's club is about to go to the wall would say OK, but 'love'?

Surely the only agenda would be a concern that the club is the best that is can be?

'Pales into' comment is meant to be about all the dross that has been foist upon the club. Of course there are players that we have all cheered that have come in under RD's watch and directions by in my opinion these are a small minority.

Danny Green leaving is not unexplained to anybody who watched him at the Valley. This is a poor example that devalues your points I think.

As for our previous staff, I think that it is unlikely that similar comments would be made unless there is some truth at least.
  • I am pro Duchatelet and the network as I think the long game looks good and I don't share the view we will lose our identity. However, I don't feel sorry for him as his poor management over a difficult period has been far from helpful given the current supporters unrest.
  • My God. Feel sorry for Roland? This is right up there with the 'Thanks TJ and MS' thread.
    Poor Roland. All he wants to do is help us and make us happy.
  • Uboat said:

My God. Feel sorry for Roland? This is right up there with the 'Thanks TJ and MS' thread.

He did send me a note and a voucher to award you a free night at Peppermint Rhino to relieve your angst, anger, dismay and tension.
    Hope that makes you happy.

PS
    Sadly I used the voucher for an elderly, vociferous gentleman at the meeting tonight. He was delighted!
  • Uboat said:

My God. Feel sorry for Roland? This is right up there with the 'Thanks TJ and MS' thread.

He did send me a note and a voucher to award you a free night at Peppermint Rhino to relieve your angst, anger, dismay and tension.
    Hope that makes you happy.

PS
    Sadly I used the voucher for an elderly, vociferous gentleman at the meeting tonight. He was delighted!
    I have no idea what you're talking about, but presumably it's supposed to be funny. I'll give you a lol as encouragement.

• I don't believe that Roland has it in for us, in fact quite the opposite as there seems little value in it for him if we fail as a club and investment in things like the stadium (and players for that matter) do not indicate us being left to rot in the way Mick and Tone (and Kev) were doing. The trouble is I'm not really sure what Roland intends for us because he hasn't really told us. If he just sees us as a mid-table Championship team I can live with that, just as long as I know not to get my hopes up too much for something more.

I am honestly not having a go, Exiled, because I think your post was incredibly well written and argued, but this paragraph really confuses me. It is a point that many posters have made, fundamentally: 'we do not know what the club's ambitions are'.

But in the VIP meeting yesterday (and to my mind, several times previously), KM was absolutely clear that the ambition was to be an established Championship club, yes she wanted to work towards the Premiership in time, but she wanted to be very realistic and was not going to make wild promises about when that would be.

Isn't that exactly telling you what she intends for the club? What more do you want to know?
  • I wonder if there are a number of ways you could look at the notion of an 'established championship club' and tweak the algorithm. For a start a non footballing outsider might say you have an 85% chance of remaining a Championship club (or better) each season because 'only' three out of 24 go down.
    So you stick that in the equation, and work out (yes it is an inexact science I know) from the stats how to arrange things just well enough to be one of the 85%. To a mathematician this kind of reasoning may appeal, the kind that says basically there is a good chance each season of being all right without killing yourself trying.

Perhaps an 'established championship club' means not being one of the unfortunate 15% and hey presto you're 'established'. It does not have to mean you strive that hard for promotion, or success, be just about good enough, the Yoni Buyens approach if you like!

I like to feel the club is genuinely going to strive for success in playing and results terms, or at the very least not think that the club doesn't give much of a damn. Now how I 'feel' is also an inexact science, it is not a tangible thing to me, or to other supporters, but how we feel about the ambition of the team will ultimately be reflected in attendances.