Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: My Charlton, Your Charlton and what exactly is it that you want?

Comments

• Good Post.

I think Steve Dixon summed it up for me last night. I don't want to be part of the London Franchise but want an independent club where the aims and goals of the owners weather the are Charlton people or business men is for the greater good of Charlton.
  • edited February 2015

I don't want us to throw the baby out with the bath water.

I want real dialogue and engagement with the owner, where he recognises us the supporters and taps in to us so that we can help resell the club to the disaffected audience his network vision has created.

In return he has to prove he is maleable. Listen to our scouts on prospective British purchases and recognise that unlike mainland Europe, English football is totally different and should be treated as such - ie his vision may work elsewhere, but not in the UK.

He has the funds to restore us back to the premiership. It can work, if he listens, learns the errors of his ways and takes us all forward with an incremental vision of the future. This was how we improved - incrementally - each year after returning to the Valley in 1992.

Superb opening thread from AFKA Bartram, your are the dogs !

Which brings me on to Bollox or Mr Bolder, as we are not on first name terms yet.

If i had the mic last night, I was going to say BB opening Gambit, Because The baby being Charlton who thou being born in 1905 is my baby and yours,
    and just like the baby in the Simpsons with never be any different.

Roland Duchalet is the Foster parent at the moment and most of us are unsure how he's going to raise our baby. He keeps changing the Nanny which can't be a good thing for the baby. All of us are worried with all these foreign nannies coming into our little Charlton's life that he will speak with a strange accent and
    not be our Charlton any more. Roland has a nice big House with a lovely new lawn that our baby can play on, but it still feels a bit wrong somehow.

I heard that some people have stopped going to visit now and others have said let's take the baby away and we raise him in that tiny little house with no running water and no heating. at least he will be loved and cherished ?
    That all sound 2nd rate to me (or league 2)

Wouldn't that be throwing the baby out with the bath water ?

• edited February 2015

What exactly is it that YOU want?

A competitive team that battles in either the lower Prem or Higher Champ.

Not a YoYo team and certainly not one battling relegation every season in the Championship.

I want a manager that gives his all and players to match, even if they're not the next Henry, Ronaldo or Pele.

I want us to be financially secure and I want us to be an individual within the network providing the running becomes better planned and more translucent.

Oh and *even* more fancy foods.
  • What do people mean by independently owned?

Russian oligarchs play thing?
    Spivs wing it play thing?
    Fan owned in League 2?
  • Rothko said:

What do people mean by independently owned?

Russian oligarchs play thing?
    Spivs wing it play thing?
    Fan owned in League 2?

I meant not part of a network. Have a look through this list, you'll find there's plenty of options that don't fall within any of your 3 categories - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_football_club_owners
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree with Mr Largo. Especially the club that does not lie to you. I still find it difficult to accept the explanation from KM about appointing the current manager.
  • If we have to be part of a network I don't want it:

To develop Charlton in order to deliver profits to RD (beyond a fair return on his investment)
    Players not wanted by one club to be forced on another club
    Run by faceless advisers who know jack shit about Charlton, the Championship, English football
    Managed by coaches who have restricted authority over player selection

There are potential positives to a well thought out network model, but it makes no sense to have the negatives of a flawed model. Would it not makes sense for RD get input from supporters on how a network model made mutually acceptable with all stakeholders understanding the risks and rewards.
  • Good Post.

I think Steve Dixon summed it up for me last night. I don't want to be part of the London Franchise but want an independent club where the aims and goals of the owners weather the are Charlton people or business men is for the greater good of Charlton.

Think Steve has managed to put into words what most of us have been unable to so clearly.

But unfortunately under this owner it's not possible. And that's why I was anti-RD from the start.
  • A team of players who are well managed (ie inspired to play to their optimum strengths) and will die for each other on and off the pitch.

I'm not convinced you can achieve this with constant managerial changes, suspect managerial appointments, and hit and miss player recruitment.
  • edited February 2015
    Owners that dont move money and players around their network for the good of their head office rather than the footballing ambition of Charlton.

Owners that recognise Charlton is a football club where people go to see a competitive team not their friends and family.

Charlton fans that have passion and travel away in numbers.
  • kentred2 said:

Owners that dont move money and players around their network for the good of their head office rather than the footballing ambition of Charlton.

Owners that recognise Charlton is a football club where people go to see a competitive team not their friends and family.

Charlton fans that have passion and travel away in numbers.

Better check with Oohaah on that ;-)
  • I want all the negativity from the fans at the games and on internet sites to stop.

Five or 6 seasons ago the moaning from the bloke behind me became the moaning from the BBM in in front of me and wherever I sat at away games. Drained the enjoyment. I want it to stop but know it is a British football fact of life.

I've not encountered it at any of the many other sports I now spend more and more time watching live.
  • What do I want: I am not over concerned with the politics of ownership, I would just require that the club is kept on as sound a financial footing as possible. Duchatelet, though he might at present seem to be something of a miser as well as an experimentalist, is keeping the finances under control.

On the playing side, the side which interests me, i.e. the success and/or progress of the actual FOOTBALL team, I would like to see a team mainly composed of English or British players, with a good number of CAFC academy graduates, playing good football, pleasing us fans as a spectacle, giving 100% effort and dedication to their job and making gradual headway in the Championship, progressing towards a challenge for promotion to the Premier League.
    I do not expect this to happen overnight, nor do I expect a challenge for the European Champions League any time soon, as nice as that would be.

If and when we reach the top division, instant relegation would not disturb me too much. Life as a yo-yo club would be exciting, bad for the nerves and financially rewarding for the club. Realistically unless a billionaire buys CAFC, we are unlikely to reach the heights of a Chelsea, Manchester United/City or an Arsenal. A life similar to (say) a West Bromwich Albion would do for me. I was going to type West Ham, but it's unlikely that CAFC will ever be given a brand new central(ish) London stadium at a knock down rent.
    These are my ambitions and hopes for the club ... Amen ((:>)

Can't argue with any of that and saved me time posting what you have said there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good Post.

I think that this is a key issue where there is real division amongst us.

I'm as frustrated as anybody with RD/KM's lack of transparency, engagement (& possibly, honesty). I'm frustrated about the farcical managerial merry-go-round, the mistakes made in player acquisitions and departures. But the issue of franchise vs. independence is where I'm still prepared to be open-minded.

I want RD to run this club properly, with an understanding of what makes us special. He needs to listen and connect better for that to happen, for sure. But i'm still prepared to give the idea of a network a bit of a go... Yes, a full-on co-operative/trust ownership would be best of all, but that's an experiment, too (note Swansea are getting an outside investor in).

Maybe it's because I've worked with & for multinationals a lot. I see the negatives, but some treat their customers & employees well, offer better career prospects, etc. And because we are a London club, we always have a chance of sucking in talent from the network rather than being a feeder.

It's far from perfect, but I'd rather we focussed our energies and protests on making it work within the current structure. I understand the "RD out" feelings, but unless you've got an alternative lined up, it's not going to get us anywhere.
    I think the network has potential as one resource - a means to an end rather than, as it seems at the moment, an end in itself.
  • Good Post.

Think Steve has managed to put into words what most of us have been unable to so clearly.

But unfortunately under this owner it's not possible. And that's why I was anti-RD from the start.
    But Presumably Steve Dixon would prefer a club not at risk of administration too. So let's let Roland have us as his London franchise, get us to the promised land, sell us to someone else and he takes his money off into the sunset while we become independent?

Everyone can win
  • Swisdom said:

Good Post.

But Presumably Steve Dixon would prefer a club not at risk of administration too. So let's let Roland have us as his London franchise, get us to the promised land, sell us to someone else and he takes his money off into the sunset while we become independent?

Everyone can win
    Assuming, of course, the fans hang around waiting for a franchise in which they have no stake reaches the Premiership and gets sold. And assuming, of course, that's even RD's plan.

• Every business makes mistakes but to progress you need to understand why mistakes are being made. My argument is the business is structurally flawed, which without change, will perpetuate an instability to the detriment of everyone. To some, the flaw is the very network concept. My difficulty is we simply do not know how it is designed to work. A real concern is the executive refusal to talk suggests they do not know either!! It is not they do not want to communicate but that they really do have nothing to say!

My suspicion entirely. Great post.

• Every business makes mistakes but to progress you need to understand why mistakes are being made. My argument is the business is structurally flawed, which without change, will perpetuate an instability to the detriment of everyone. To some, the flaw is the very network concept. My difficulty is we simply do not know how it is designed to work. A real concern is the executive refusal to talk suggests they do not know either!! It is not they do not want to communicate but that they really do have nothing to say!

My suspicion entirely. Great post.
    And surely all the more reason to get the supporters on board who can help them shape it.
  • Great post Grapevine......

......with the added benefit that your posts are amongst the few always longer than my own :smile:
  • A less cavalier approach to the Supporters. More honesty. Whatever business you are in your customers are your lifeblood, look after them, get them on your side and don't treat them like fools.