Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

An established championship club?

For me it's just a whistle stop tipsy turvy league where you are either fighting for a top two slot. Fighting to get in the playoffs or fighting relegation. There's very little middle ground. The board seem to be getting our league confused with the premier league.

Comments

• Well we are definitely not 'established' at the moment. I take that description to mean that nobody seriously thinks we are likely to be relegated.
  • edited February 2015
    They're also ignoring the fact that when all Championship clubs get more central revenue - and parachute payments increase further - the effect will be to increase player wages, negating the benefit. So it's likely that either the loss will remain where it is or we'll fall further behind those buying in the main market place and find it even more difficult to compete.
  • Excellent. Well done stig. So the heady heights of Ipswich are our aim.
  • If I read that right <50% of the clubs have been in the Championship for 4 years or more - sounds whistle-stop to me
  • Stig said:

Screenshot 2015-02-18 15.47.57

From a statistical robustness point of view, I would have made a table excluding the 6 clubs who have only been there for a year as every season will have exactly 6 teams like that. Interesting stats though. It'd be interesting to see an analysis of whether the length of time a team spends in the Championship has any effect on whether their eventual exit is by promotion or relegation.
  • Weren't Barnsley there for about 7 years before they went down last season? It really does just take one bad start or bad patch in any given season before the stats all turn on you. It's terrifying in a way.
  • Weren't Barnsley there for about 7 years before they went down last season? It really does just take one bad start or bad patch in any given season before the stats all turn on you. It's terrifying in a way.

I remember Preston having a good long run in the Championship that ended just a few years ago

I remember Preston having a good long run in the Championship that ended just a few years ago
    And Burnley...
  • Sponsored links:

• Tiger Woods has got a few
  • edited February 2015
    At this point, to turn ourselves into an average Championship club is a great first step. If we could become a version of Ipswich, then great, I would be happy with that, initially, it certainly beats where we are right now. But, what I don't want is for the Club to get us that far, realise that it can be financially rewarding if played right, and then accept the status quo. It's one thing being a competitive Championship side as KM suggests, but at some point, there has to be some kind of drive for us to kick on. I want something to look forward to each season rather than just being happy that we are well away from relegation with safe mid-table finish.