Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lest we forget

edited February 2015 in General Charlton
Ok apologies for the title, but I just wanted to point out a few things about Saturday's great win.

I think virtually everyone agrees that the reasons for the turnaround were :

1 Henderson returning

2 Johnson in for Bikey

3 Watt playing (a good 2nd striker)

4 Players playing in their correct positions.

Now I give credit all round to Luzon, the coaches, the club, the fans etc.

But why couldn't we do 1-4 earlier ?

1 We could have very easily chosen to get in an adequate replacement for Henderson, but chose not to.

2 We could have kept and played Morrison, when Bikey started to falter, but we chose to give him away/sell him.

3 We couldn't play a decent 2nd forward, because we chose not to get one for 12 months. Ok maybe we tried, but were either incompetent or didn't really care.

4 Harriott played up front, because we didn't have a decent 2nd striker. Cousins played on the left, because we were playing Harriott up front.
Solly has played midfield, because we don't have a strong enough squad, not because any coach thought he'd better in midfield.
Bikey has been pushed up front at the end of games, because we didn't have a decent forward at the club bar Vetokele.

So like I say. Well done to all and sundry for Saturday, it was brilliant wasn't it. But let's not lose sight of why that was our first win since 8th November.

I still can't see how RD's aim is to "build a strong Championship squad". If it really was he'd be doing it.

Also, what is the aim, if and when he's built a strong Championship squad ? Is it to push for The Premiership or is it to sell the strong Championship squad ?

I wonder if KM will answer this tomorrow ?

Comments

• In, out, in, out, shake it all about. Instability. Disappointment. What a farce.
  • Right on the money covered end.

I've heard the top Boys who dealt with some of those Brentford lads at the Jimmy Seed end will be on standby in case your question causes a riot.

Wear you school cap and shorts and Katrien will answer you question first or at least attempt to answer you question.

Why do i feel high agent fees will be mentioned for non network players not coming to the club from other English clubs.
  • 1. How do you know??? Third choice keepers are all you are really gonna be able to attract. Would one be any better than Dmitrovic.

2. Sounds like BP has a lot to answer for that.

3. You don't know, but you've made up your mind anyway.

4. Playing people out of position is something we can all agree is a pain in the arse.

Building a strong Championship squad doesn't happen over night. For a start the right players have to be available. We are seeing players like watt being signed to 3.5 year contracts, players we can build around. There have been improvements on signings this season, so we are in my eyes going in the correct direction.
  • edited February 2015
    I'll agree to disagee VG, as I normally agree, with most everything you say.

1 However, I disagree that 3rd choice keepers would have been all we could have attracted.

2 I think it unlikely, that Peeters wanted shot of Morrison, so badly, that he wanted RD to get rid, without an adequate replacement. No coach wants to weaken their squad, do they ?

3 So you think that in a whole 12 months, there wasn't one decent replacement, in the whole world for Kermy ?
    There obviously was, but almost certainly we weren't willing to pay what was necessary (Delort apart possibly).
    If that's the case how does RD expect to build a strong Championship squad ?

• I'll agree to disagee VG, as I normally agree, with most everything you say.

1 However, I disagree that 3rd choice keepers would have been all we could have attracted.

2 I think it unlikely, that Peeters wanted shot of Morrison, so badly, that he wanted RD to get rid, without an adequate replacement. No coach wants to weaken their squad, do they ?

3 So you think that in a whole 12 months, there wasn't one decent replacement, in the whole world for Kermy ?
    There obviously was, but almost certainly we weren't willing to pay what was necessary (Delort apart possibly).
    If that's the case how does RD expect to build a strong Championship squad ?

1. We will have to agree to disagree on that one mate. I just can't see many clubs letting a 2nd choice keeper going out on loan for a month.

2. Noise from people 'in the know' was that BP and Morrison didn't get on and Morrison wanted first team football that couldn't be guaranteed. An unhappy player and a bit of a knob manager...there's only gonna be one outcome. Get rid of Morro and get in a loan/free (Onyewu)

3. We were linked with that northern fella but he wanted to much money...can't remember his name. Many factors have to fall into place when signing a player.

The club want to build a competitive Champ squad but won't take too much of a financial risk in doing so. I don't see much problem with that.

• edited February 2015
    I think Peterboro was the most recent club who managed to break even in The Championship. Say no more.

We want to break even and remain competitive with clubs that can lose £39M over the next 3 seasons.

So if we can sell an academy player like Jonjo or Jenkinson for £2M each, we have to produce and sell, about 6 of them a season to compete financially. Ok the network is meant to make us smarter, but not £13M per season smarter.
    It ain't gonna happen and if it did we'd have no 1st team, in any case.
  • Right on the money covered end.

I've heard the top Boys who dealt with some of those Brentford lads at the Jimmy Seed end will be on standby in case your question causes a riot.

Wear you school cap and shorts and Katrien will answer you question first or at least attempt to answer you question.

Why do i feel high agent fees will be mentioned for non network players not coming to the club from other English clubs.

And don't forget to put a crisp, shiny apple on the top table, CE

• I personally think our biggest problem was not bring in a experience GK to help Pope and push him for a place, when Henderson got injuried, signing oldhams 3rd choice keeper or a keeper from the hungry massively back fired.

• Gumbo said:

I personally think our biggest problem was not bring in a experience GK to help Pope and push him for a place, when Henderson got injuried, signing oldhams 3rd choice keeper or a keeper from the hungry massively back fired.

Yes and we had 2. Hamer & Alnwick & let them go/eased them out.
  • That was down to the last board tbf, but I agree
  • Sponsored links:

• Gumbo said:

I personally think our biggest problem was not bring in a experience GK to help Pope and push him for a place, when Henderson got injuried, signing oldhams 3rd choice keeper or a keeper from the hungry massively back fired.

Yes and we had 2. Hamer & Alnwick & let them go/eased them out.
    Hamer wanted to go (understandably, he had a chance at the Premiership) and Alnwick left for non-football reasons so can't blame the (current) board for either of those. Besides which, Pope was generally thought much closer to ready than he turned out to be by just about everyone. Hindsight says we should have prioritised another keeper but at the time Pope was pretty much thought to be okay as cover.