Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

This time last year...

I could go into one in reference to the thread title, but this is simple.

Can anyone dig out the league table of the championship from Charlton having played 31 games via 13/14 season, just out of interest.

Would be interesting to know in comparison to current struggles, where we stood back then, and the points we need/needed to get.

Comments

• edited February 2015
    statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/2013-2014/table/2014-03-12

We didn't play our 31st game until 12th March, when everyone else had played 34 or 35. We had 28 pts then and were bottom. SCP was sacked at that point.

However, after 28 31 games (at about the same date as now), Yeovil had 25 pts, Barnsley 26 pts, Millwall 28 pts (and an inferior goal difference to us after 31 games), Doncaster 30 pts.

Eventually, Donny went down with 44, Barnsley 39 and Yeovil 37. Birmingham stayed up with an exceptionally poor 44. We finished with 51 pts.

As for what we might need this year, my view is we need to reach 50 pts minimum, so 14 pts from 15 games. Now we are on a winning streak, that doesn't look quite so terrifying. Our winning streak has also helped our goal difference.

---

You can play with the season and date on the link above. It's very easy to use.

---

Damn damn damn. Edited as highlighted above. I originally typed 28. My humble apologies to anyone interested. Sorry you can't unlike me for that.
  • I just remember looking at a national newspaper and we had fallen off the bottom of the page.
  • statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/2013-2014/table/2014-03-12

We didn't play our 31st game until 12th March, when everyone else had played 34 or 35. We had 28 pts then and were bottom. SCP was sacked at that point.

However, after 28 games (at about the same date as now), Yeovil had 25 pts, Barnsley 26 pts, Millwall 28 pts (and an inferior goal difference to us after 31 games), Doncaster 30 pts.

Eventually, Donny went down with 44, Barnsley 39 and Yeovil 37. Birmingham stayed up with an exceptionally poor 44. We finished with 51 pts.

As for what we might need this year, my view is we need to reach 50 pts minimum, so 14 pts from 15 games. Now we are on a winning streak, that doesn't look quite so terrifying. Our winning streak has also helped our goal difference.

---

You can play with the season and date on the link above. It's very easy to use.

The decline of Wigan and Brighton is shocking
  • 8 points better off this season based on equivalent games played.

Certainly looks healthier now in comparison and we stayed up last season. Job is nowhere near done yet, of course though.
  • Results vs Wigan and Millwall are key. We clearly have the talent to climb up and none of our games to date decided on luck. So all to play for!
  • It's all about momentum though so it's difficult to make a comparison between last year and this year. When CP was sacked our momentum was down and probably would have stayed like that if he hadn't gone. Once Riga came on board it changed and we finished with a few points to spare in the end. This season, from November up to the game against Brentford, our momentum has been well and truly down and things weren't looking too good. Hopefully, after Saturday, the momentum is changing.

Fingers crossed.
  • So glad not to see the graph falling due to administration!
  • Results vs Wigan and Millwall are key.

That's us buggered then!

• edited February 2015
    For some years, a point a game - or less - is all you have needed to survive in the PL. Remember Curbs always had a target of 43 or so? Obviously, he and other managers assumed that if you aim for 43, you should get about 39.

Is the Championship beginning to go the same way, so that about 48 will keep you up? It's very hard to see 4 out of Blackpool, Wigan, Brighton, Rotherham, Millwall and Fulham all getting 49 points. Blackpool would need to get 28 pts from 15 games and Wigan 27 pts from 16 games.