Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would Roland admit he got it wrong?

I know this is looking way ahead but a quote of Roland's that has stuck with me when he decided to sack Chris Powell was - "Time will tell if it is the right decision".

Should we get relegated, which it looks like we are currently heading for then surely time would have told that he made the wrong decision, as we are in almost the same position a year later and especially now that we can see that Powell is currently steadying a team in mid-table which one could argue is at least as good as ours when he departed. So I wonder if you put this statement back to Roland, which no doubt he probably long ago forgot making, would he be man enough to hold his hands up and admit that he made the wrong decision?

Comments

• would it/does it matter?

• He, and some fans, would argue he got it right. Powell went and we stayed up.

Not going over all that again as it has been done to death but he was sacked because he wouldn't agree to the "football strategy" not because of results so in RDs mind he did the right thing regardless.

Whoever the coach is has to implement RDs strategy ie pick who he's told to pick and be happy with the players selected for him.
  • No, he wouldn't, and also no it probably wasn't a mistake. The relationship between them had broken down irrevocably - no point pointing fingers as to which said what, they were NOT getting on. What Powell has done since then is at another club with other owners run in a different way. Riga came into this club at that time under RD's model - and we stayed up.

Getting rid of Riga/appointing Bob possibly are/were mistakes but the Powell decision was not. It was implemented so we would stay up THAT SEASON, we did. What has happened since doesn't change that.
  • In a word, no.
    In more than a word, he's delusional so still no.
  • Look Uncle Roly its simple get on your hands and knees (Guy Loser was showing you how to the other day) and beg Sir Chris to come back
  • Right or wrong, not a hope in hell of him saying he was wrong.
  • I was very disingenuous about Powell, as i couldn't believe that the owner would interfere with the team selection. As time has gone on i can see that i was wrong. I still feel that a change was needed and Riga was the right choice then and he is the right choice now. Pity RD didn't think the same.
  • Granpa said:

Right or wrong, not a hope in hell of him saying he was wrong.

He'll never admit to being wrong, nor will he ever admit the plan has failed/is failing - as that would confirm he does in fact have a plan in the first place and that is never going to happen!
  • Sponsored links:

• SL fans nickname Roland Duchâtelet as ‘The Rainman’. It stacks up too when you consider the lack of empathy he has with the fans and his non communicative style. He prefers to hide behind KM. Who knows what he’s thinking or how his mind works?
  • New owners come in and change managers, that's how Powell came in, right or wrong that's what happens.

Powell at least had a choice - Roland's equivalent of "My way or the highway!"
  • dickplumb said:

I was very disingenuous about Powell, as i couldn't believe that the owner would interfere with the team selection. As time has gone on i can see that i was wrong. I still feel that a change was needed and Riga was the right choice then and he is the right choice now. Pity RD didn't think the same.

Fair play for your honesty DP!
  • Chris was already showing worrying signs at the beginning of that season of mental tiredness because of the money situation with TJ and Slater.
    Hence why he sounded so downbeat about our chances in August.
    It was the right time for Powell to leave as he would of made himself ill if he had carried on with Roland.
    If you care about your job/career and are being undermined most days its makes you implode/explode. If that has never happened to you, your lucky.

Will 68 year old Roland admit he got it wrong ?

NO
  • He doesn't have to make such admissions; he makes the decisions then moves on! Regardless!!
  • So time will tell if appointing Luzer is a bad decision? I think there's been enough time already to know the answer to that one.
  • Powell was sacked (reasons are up for debate) and we survived. I think regardless of what Powell is doing now or in the future it was still the right decision. Otherwise you can point to many instances where it was wrong to sack a manager, in our own recent past does it mean we were wrong to get rid of Pardew since he has gone on to do reasonably well?
  • would it/does it matter?

Yes.
  • In stark contrast to some comments made here and elsewhere, there might never be a better opportunity to put together a case to influence the board / persuade Duchatelet as to how to change course, ie there are some glaring errors which need correcting.
    The longer this goes on, the more expensive it will be to rectify and the bookies will give us a weekly update on our relegation odds.

The obvious error is that Peeters was chosen over Riga and then when injuries and loss of form occurred he was not supported. That moment has passed but there is still time to rectify things.

I'm sure some individuals will try lobbying on their own, but in an ideal world, the supporters Trust can collate suggestions and make a proposal via back channels to help put this right.

It is impossible to tell if Duchatelet is receptive but is he stupid enough to isolate himself and take 100% responsibility for relegation and a 40-50% reduction in crowds and media revenue? That kind of reputation damage is irrecoverable!
  • RD is am absentee .Katrien is his representative/mouthpiece.Would there be more verbal [or even physical ]abuse aimed at RDs' representative if they were male.Was this a strategy.
    I get the impression Liege are more like millwall [thugs and violent] maybe he bought us as we are soft and unlikely to ever make much fuss .Either way RD wont think he is wrong as the "plan" doesnt depend on which division we are in .
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't think RD will ever admit to getting anything wrong. Nothing to do with pride, but I just think in his head, he's always right......
  • edited February 2015

Look Uncle Roly its simple get on your hands and knees (Guy Loser was showing you how to the other day) and beg Sir Chris to come back

If that happened Paulie, do you know what I'd like most of all? For Powell to tell Roly to shove his job offer up his arse.