Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Maidstone youth player signs for Wolves

Wolves have completed the signing of 17-year-old defender Aaron Simpson.

The pacey full back was on trial at Wolves recently and, having been on duty for the England Schoolboys team, returned to complete a medical and put pen to paper on an 18-month contract, with a further year’s option in Wolves’ favour.

Simpson has caught the eye helping Maidstone United to the top of the Ryman Premier Division and helping them through to the second round of the FA Cup prior to joining Wolves.

“Aaron will only become 18 next month but he will go straight into our Under-21 squad by virtue that he has been playing mens’ football and fitting in very well,” said of Head of Football Development and Recruitment Kevin Thelwell.

“He has impressed everyone in the short time he has been here and we are delighted to have signed him and are looking forward to working with him.”

How did we miss this player with our so called brilliant academy

Comments

• JT's brother too.
  • I suggest that it's more a situation that Duchatelet and his envoys are not especially interested in signing English youth, the long term aim is to gradually move youth team players from Europe into CAFC
  • Just because he signed for Wolves does not mean we missed out on a quality player, maybe we looked at him and decided he was not good enough, Maybe wolves have signed the next Ricky Lambert or Grant Holt or maybe they have signed the next Tamer Tuna only time will tell
  • I suggest that it's more a situation that Duchatelet and his envoys are not especially interested in signing English youth, the long term aim is to gradually move youth team players from Europe into CAFC

is it ?
  • We cant sign every promising 17 y/o. If we did we'd have no budget left for all our quality first team signin.... oh.
  • ross1 said:

Harsh

I know nothing about this kid but I think the clue might be in the words "The pacey full back"

If we already have a lot of good full back such as Lyvander Pyke, Archie Edwards, Holmes Dennis. Aaron Barnes and Sevdar Bokciu on the books perhaps another full back wasn't a priority.
  • ross1 said:

Harsh

I know nothing about this kid but I think the clue might be in the words "The pacey full back"

If we already have a lot of good full back such as Lyvander Pyke, Archie Edwards, Holmes Dennis. Aaron Barnes and Sevdar Bokciu on the books perhaps another full back wasn't a priority.
    Yeah but don't let that get in the way of another dig at the club!
  • How is JT brother doing out of interest, I would have like him to have signed for us
  • edited February 2015

How is JT brother doing out of interest, I would have like him to have signed for us

Scoring regularly for Hull City's under 21s.

http://www.hullcitytigers.com/team/reserves/
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:

Harsh

You can never have too many full backs!!

Well maybe!
  • another stick for some to bash RD with, getting a bit boring really

The thing is there are enough sticks of his own making without making them up.... if you can make up sticks
  • another stick for some to bash RD with, getting a bit boring really

Thing is one of two things always happens on here...

Another Club signs X player either for a fee or on Loan = What the hell was RD doing, why didnt he go in for him
    Charlton sign X player either for a fee or on Loan = Why the hell have we signed him
  • edited February 2015
    When you become the Panto villian like Roland has.
    There are no shades of Grey.
    will also get blamed for TJ and Slater's errors.

He brings this on himself thou by having total disdain for the views of Standard and CAFC fans.

• I was not blaming RD for this (everything else, yes), to say we have enough full backs, I do not agree with, he could be better then all of them, how many of ours have represented their country, (a fact I do not know). I can only think that Jackett saw him when with Millwall and invited him to Wolves.
  • You may not have blamed RD but you did have a a dig at our "so called brilliant academy"

I didn't say we have enough full backs. I said having so many full backs another might not be a priority.

Edwards (U16) and Holmes-Dennis(U18) have both played for England. Don't know about the others but I think Barnes was at Arsenal at one time and Bokciu is from Kosovo so maybe not eligible.

I doubt very much that he's gone to Wolves because Jackett saw him when with Millwall.

Wolves will have scouted a lot of players and teams, just like we do, and their academy scouts liked what they saw, invited him for a trial and now he's signed up.

Without knowing the whole story it's a bit pointless having a go at our academy
  • The point is Henry, if Wolves can scout him from the midlands, why hadn't we from down the road. As I said I do not know about the international calls on our other players. Having many full backs may not be a priority, but surely if he is that good, you can't turn a blind eye and say, we have enough full backs. As for having the whole story, if that was the case with all the comments, there would not be many, a lot of comments are on things people have read, and posted, without knowing all details, because others may find it interesting, sorry if I upset you by having a go about something Charlton, but after nearly 70 years of supporting, I think I am intitled to have an opinion
  • ross1 said:

The point is Henry, if Wolves can scout him from the midlands, why hadn't we from down the road.

How do you know we didn't? Maybe we looked at him (in fact I would bet on it that we did) but for whatever reason (not as good as what we had, too short, no money to sign him, etc etc) we decided not to. You and I don't know.
    ross1 said:

sorry if I upset you by having a go about something Charlton, but after nearly 70 years of supporting, I think I am intitled to have an opinion

Clearly you are the one who is upset not me.

And "I'm entitled to an opinion" What does that mean? Does it mean no one is allowed to have a different take on things

You made a statement with very few, if any facts to back it up and then someone disagreed with you pointing out some facts such as at least two of our FBs have also played for England (as has Gomez for the record) you fall back on "I've been supporting Charlton for nearly 70 years" and "I'm entitled to an opinion" neother of which actually mean anything in this context.

And you have said again that we "turned a blind eye" when you just don't know if that was the case.
  • ross1 said:

I was not blaming RD for this (everything else, yes), to say we have enough full backs, I do not agree with, he could be better then all of them, how many of ours have represented their country, (a fact I do not know). I can only think that Jackett saw him when with Millwall and invited him to Wolves.

I think he was with Whitstable when Jackett was with Millwall and he would have been a 14 year old youth team player then. I think he has only broken through to the first team at Maidstone this season and has been higher profile due to Maidstone's cup run. I'm guessing Jackett wasn't watching the Wrexham f.a.cup game where he where he really put himself in the shop window by getting sent off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Holmes-Dennis and Edwards are particularly well thought of I believe (more knowledgable fans feel free to correct me) so that is two promising young full backs to bring through even if no others appear/make the grade.

Scouting isn't just 'he looks good, sign him up', the scouts will be looking and working out not only how good he's likely to be (harder than most would think at such a young age in most cases) and have to compare that to how others are doing RIGHT NOW, and how good those are likely to be. For him to be worthwhile he'd have to be (potentially) better than them, and we'd be supposing one or more aren't going to cut it. Wolves might be looking at their academy and thinking 'hmm, kind of short on full backs' but that's not the boat we're in.
  • thenewbie said:

Wolves might be looking at their academy and thinking 'hmm, kind of short on full backs' but that's not the boat we're in.

Exactly.

• We were looking at him closely earlier in the season.

Don't forget Maidstone is Damien Matthews local side.
  • I think some people are mistakingly thinking scouting a player is a scientific proceedure, where the results can be predicted. It's (educated) guess work. Not all scouts see the same things when looking at the same player, and even if they do, there's still the element of gambling as to whether or not the lad will progress.

All very well being frightened of missing out on a potential first teamer of the future, but like any club, there are only so many you can take a chance with.......................
  • I have seen him play a couple of times and he is good attacking full back.