Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

News Shopper Article - Tuesday was a new low

edited February 2015 in General Charlton
Please read my latest news shopper column here.

Click Here

Comments

• Good piece and a lot of us shared that emotion.

Is the Newshopper likely to take an editorial stance on the issue of Roland's ownership, maybe even becoming part of any campaign against him - or will it stick to reporting the situation?
  • I can't speak for @News Shopper on that as just a voluntary blogger but he will be reporting from the trust meeting next week I believe.
  • @wwaddickson Well done Louis - tell it the way it is

Are you doing the preview show on Charltonlive this week?

If it's available we normally download it and share an earpiece to listen on the way up on a Saturday - are you going to make us turn around and go home when we get to Waterloo :-)
  • I can't speak for @News Shopper on that as just a voluntary blogger but he will be reporting from the trust meeting next week I believe.

Appreciate that, but I hope he puts his weight behind any campaign that emerges. A bit of old fashioned campaigning journalism rather than dispassionate observation would be good to see.
  • @CatAddick thanks for that.

Sadly the preview show is taking a bit of a hiatus at the moment. Crispy, my partner in crime, has a fair few late nights at work at the moment and Glovepup can't get over to the valley during the week to record anymore.

I may try and look for a new number 2 to join the show, or we may have to drop it.
  • Good piece, Louis .... you said it exactly how you saw it.

Well done.

• Excellent piece.
  • Just so spot on, so genuine, excellent writing.
  • Nice peice and pretty much echoes what most of us think. Normally, when a football club sees how fans are feeling about such poor performances and constant talk on forums about protests & season ticket boycotts etc, they would have issued some form of statement to either give some message of assurance, or to simply explain the reasons behind problems. What do we get from the club? absolutely nothing. Is this due to them not giving a shit, or simply running out of bullshit? A mixture of both I would guess.

Look at the latest news on the OS and the top 3 articles are Luzons post-match interview, tickets on sale for Blackpool & a full 15 minutes of video highlights of the Norwich game (Damn, why did I cancel my sub for player?).

It just feels like a 2 finger salute to all us fans that we're irrelevant and that hurts me a lot more than any defeat............

image Still think you look like Eddie Howe though. Fancy a job in management? :wink:
  • edited February 2015
    Sums up how i felt , actually made me physically ill , wondering if following charlton is doing any good for my health , i get too worked up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a regular attendee at the Valley but through that piece and comments on here can I just say "I feel your pain brother Addick"?
  • I have to agree, I have seen some bad displays down The Valley in my time. However there was just something about that first half that was different. Obviously the toxic atmosphere helped contribute towards these feelings, but the football and the obvious lack of confidence from the players just led to a display which I can only really describe as pathetic.

Don't get me wrong, Norwich are a decent team and I did not at all expect us to look like world beaters against them, but we could barely string two passes together and ended up playing long balls to Vetokele which is ridiculous.

I thought Luzon was meant to be a good motivatior, and as well as we came out a bit better in the second, overall there has been no improvement in the team since we sacked Peeters.

• image Still think you look like Eddie Howe though. Fancy a job in management? :wink:

Haha I've had that one before

Some drunk Palace fans in the kebab shop when I got home from Boro on Saturday were debating whether I looked more like Eidur Gudjohnsen or Mikael Forsell
  • I was thinking Eidur Forsell, he IS a funny looking bugger !
  • Lets hope Luzon has got the message and starts Watt and Vetokele on Saturday.
    If he starts with one up front Im sure there will be plenty giving him verbals.
  • Great piece Louis,

This is the culmination of two owners not putting enough into the team.

Last season Yeovil played with a fantastic spirit with a much smaller budget than we have plus we have better player than they had then? (remember home to Derby) they got relegated because they were still League 1 standard.

What sort of Chairman would put a man in charge who had issues with 3 of the team he was going to take control of ? If they were trouble makers fair enough .
    I'm sure that wasn't the case.(man management skilled needed)

The heads had gone in 1st half from early on and that was one of the most surreal and sad halves of football i've watched at the valley.

Not giving Jose Riga a one year contract to settle every one down after his success
    last season shows that Duchatelet may have business acumen,
    But has no football acumen which now has been seen at Standard and CAFC.

The plan should of been for Jose to take Paul Hart position in the academy and help the new head coach settle in with the 1st team. then it could dove tail and we
    could have a couple of season mid table before upping the ante.

Oh sorry that too much like common sense for Roland.
  • good article Louis
  • Another good write up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good article and agree it ranks as one of the worst first half displays I've ever seen but was the atmosphere really that toxic? I think most of us were just shocked and stunned into silence. I've seen and heard much worse at the Valley before and have lost count of the number of times the team have been booed off the pitch over the years.

So was Hitler and we all know how that ended..............

Yeah but he got a bit of new dictator bounce....
  • Davo55 said:

I can't speak for @News Shopper on that as just a voluntary blogger but he will be reporting from the trust meeting next week I believe.

Appreciate that, but I hope he puts his weight behind any campaign that emerges. A bit of old fashioned campaigning journalism rather than dispassionate observation would be good to see.
    News Shopper awaits with interest what the Trust comes up with in terms of aims and objectives from their proposed campaign first.
  • Touche Louis touche. Excellent piece.
  • @CatAddick thanks for that.

Sadly the preview show is taking a bit of a hiatus at the moment. Crispy, my partner in crime, has a fair few late nights at work at the moment and Glovepup can't get over to the valley during the week to record anymore.

I may try and look for a new number 2 to join the show, or we may have to drop it.

Sorry to hear that it's a good listen on the way to the valley
  • Great piece Louis,

This is the culmination of two owners not putting enough into the team.

Last season Yeovil played with a fantastic spirit with a much smaller budget than we have plus we have better player than they had then? (remember home to Derby) they got relegated because they were still League 1 standard.

What sort of Chairman would put a man in charge who had issues with 3 of the team he was going to take control of ? If they were trouble makers fair enough .
    I'm sure that wasn't the case.(man management skilled needed)

The heads had gone in 1st half from early on and that was one of the most surreal and sad halves of football i've watched at the valley.

Not giving Jose Riga a one year contract to settle every one down after his success
    last season shows that Duchatelet may have business acumen,
    But has no football acumen which now has been seen at Standard and CAFC.

The plan should of been for Jose to take Paul Hart position in the academy and help the new head coach settle in with the 1st team. then it could dove tail and we
    could have a couple of season mid table before upping the ante.

Oh sorry that too much like common sense for Roland.

Another key point. Even if Riga was initially intend to be a stop-gap he still should have been appointed on a permanent basis at the end of last season. The players and fans were all behind him. It would also have given us stability, something Katrien kept banging on about when they appointed Luzon. The argument that RD didn't appoint him because he didn't start network players no longer stands up either as he has since reappointed him as Standard Liege boss.
  • Kap10 said:

@CatAddick thanks for that.

Happy news now, already had two offers to help from people who read my earlier post so don't even have to do a rectuitment drive to keep the show going!

There won't be a show this week but hopefully will get going again next week.
  • Well done Louis, you summed up the mood perfectly. I especially liked the final line "Come on OUR reds". Very pertinent.
  • Kap10 said:

@CatAddick thanks for that.

Happy news now, already had two offers to help from people who read my earlier post so don't even have to do a rectuitment drive to keep the show going!

There won't be a show this week but hopefully will get going again next week.
    Excellent! Looking forward already.
  • Davo55 said:

I can't speak for @News Shopper on that as just a voluntary blogger but he will be reporting from the trust meeting next week I believe.

News Shopper awaits with interest what the Trust comes up with in terms of aims and objectives from their proposed campaign first.
    Glad that you are coming on Wednesday, I think your sports editor was going to send a photographer as well?
    The intention is to get a wide range of fan's views, so you should have no issue with copy.