Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cast your minds back to the 1986/87 season...

edited April 2007 in General Charlton
It was our first season in the old division 1 for many years and the first full season of playing at Selhurst Park. We went into the last three games needing two wins from three to avoid relegation and get into the play-offs.

On 2nd May 1987 we faced Luton Town at home. Luton were very much a bogey team at that time and we'd been thrased on on number of occasions at Kenilworth Road. We lost 1-0 that day and everyone expected the worse.

Next up was Newcastle away on the Bank Holday Monday. Nobody expected to get a result up there and the numbers that travelled to watch the match could be counted in tens rather hundereds. I think we took one coach. I went with a couple of mates and ended up watching from the Gallowgate End. This proved to be very frustrating coz we WON 3-0 and we couldn't celebrate any of the goals. Carl Leaburn scored his first goal that day so it was truely a monumental day.

Final match of that season saw us play QPR at home and we WON 2-1 and this put us into the play-off 'third from bottom' place. We were pitched against Ipswich in the first leg and having drawn at Portman Road, we beat them at Selhurst 2-1 to set up the Epic matches against Leeds. The rest, they say, is history. If we'd gone down then, the chances are that we wouldn't be in existence today.

It's the 20th anniversary of that season and just thinking about what went on around that time gives me hope that we can survive.

C'MON CHARLTON, YOU CAN DO IT

Comments

• Options
    Great post.

Anything is possible still. Can't believe how defeatist some people have been.
  • Options
    Terrific comments.

It's not over yet!
  • Options
    No way is it over
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Remember it well. Went to the Luton game and the spectre of relegation hung around. Also remember thinking winning 3-0 away was great and then the nerves against QPR. Went to the first Leeds game. We scored about 5 minutes from the end and it was disallowed before Melrose scored a minute later to give us that slender lead. Remember the return leg being disappointed at losing and then the amazing events of the third match. Memory totally refreshed when I bought the 80s video. That team were heroes that kept the club afloat and in existance. Especially Shirtfliff for his two goals and the not so subtle knee to the head of a Leeds opponent! I also remember we cocked up the First Division the next season as there were 21 teams in it....
  • Options
    I think the Home game versus Leeds in the play offs was one of the dirtiest games I have seen, they kicked the crap out of us for 90 minutes, Melrose's header at the death was right in front of their supporters. Great stuff.
  • Options
    The thing about that Newcastle away game, though, is that Newcastle also played on the Thursday night in some FA cup 23rd replay game, having also played on the Tuesday night in the 22nd replay. Those were the days before penalties to decide FA cup ties!! So they were absolutely knackered when it came to playing us. What hope Blackburn being similarly affected for Saturday.
  • Options
    No Red Pete, i'm not going to let you spoil the positive vibes !!!

Blackburn's season finished in extra time against Chelsea.

There is no guarantee our players can get a result, and if we get outplayed, so be it. But they can guarantee that Blackburn won't be wanting it more than them. If we got outfought and outbattled, then we have no excuses.
  • Options
    that was my first charlton match the home leg against Ipswich......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I think the Home game versus Leeds in the play offs was one of the dirtiest games I have seen, they kicked the crap out of us for 90 minutes, Melrose's header at the death was right in front of their supporters. Great stuff.

Yeah, I went with a mate who was a Leeds fan. Before Melrose scored I was seriously wishing I hadn't. Then the goal. At least it shut him up enough for a reasonably quiet journey home.
  • Options
    Didn't we only win the QPR game cos Danny Maddix or Rufus Brevett scored an own goal as well?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mc Moist - that was a fantastic post!

It just goes to show what we can do if we just give it our best shot.
  • Options
    You're thinking of the 89/90 season where Maddix sliced into his own net. Gave us hope of staying up then we lost the last 8 of the season and were 13 point adrift come the end. At least Millwall went down with us...
  • Options
    Remember the QPR game. We got a penalty near to half time. Mark Reid didn't want to take it so Colin Walsh took it and scored. Was standing right behind the goal where Garth Crooks scored our second.
  • Options
    I hadn't realised it was 20 years ago. The play off final replay generated one of the best feelings I've ever had at the final whistle. Watching the video still sends shivers down the spine. Inspirational stuff as we get ready for Blackburn.
  • Options
    I remember the Luton game well. I was at university, and I decided to put Charlton before the team I played for that day: so I missed my college team's rearranged cup final, and subsequent victory - I wasn't there to lift the cup...instead I watched Charlton lose. It's one of the worst decisions I've made in my life, and one I always refer back to when faced with a major decision - think through the likely outcomes!! Even if I'd played for my team, we'd lost, and Charlton had lost, it wouldn't have been as bad as I felt that evening - Charlton seemingly on brink of relegation, and my team celebrating winning the cup without me. Thanks, VM, you've depressed me now!! (smiley thing)
  • Options
    nice story Weegie.