Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Buyens

2»

Comments

• sam3110 said:

All I have seen about the guy for the past 6 weeks or so is that he doesn't want to be here, he doesn't want to play for Luzon, he doesn't care, he is a liability, he is the root of all our problems, he is toxic, he isn't championship standard, I could go on.

And I think I may be crazy because I just don't see it.

He isn't our best player, in terms of skill or application, I'd say Gudmundsson is our most gifted player and Cousins applies himself the best, but he certainly isn't the worst. He breaks things up and moves the ball on, he acts as the third centre back when the full backs push on and covers Bikey/Ben Haim if they maraud forwards, and he is a vital cog in the team in that respect, as none of the other midfielders at the club would be able to do this effectively.

He has off days and loss of concentration at times, and loses the ball in the middle of the pitch, but let's be honest here so does Jackson, and Cousins too (Watford away I lost count the amount of times Cousins was dispossessed in the middle of the pitch)

I think people on here hear about how he fell out with Luzon at Standard and have decided he doesn't want to be here, and his performances since his appointment have helped them draw that conclusion, but I think that has nothing to do with it, we as an entire team have been awful for 3 months now, not just Buyens.

So I ask all those constantly digging him out over every other underperforming player, what is it?

Is it because he is on loan?
    Is it because he is from the network?
    Is it because he is Belgian?
    Is it because he is keeping Cousins out of the centre of midfield?
    Is it all of the above, or a combination of?
    Is it something else entirely?

I'm intrigued to know, as I feel he shouldn't get any more flak than Wiggins, Bikey, Vetokele, Ben Haim, Jackson, Solly or anyone else that has had a few bad games in our recent run.

It's because he's shit and doesn't care.
  • vff said:

Buyens looks like he does not want to be at club or wants to play for Luzon. Can't see him in a Charlton shirt next season. Unfortunately another failed network loan. Does take a decent penalty though.

Don't you find it confusing that, on the rare ocassions he gets near the opponents box, he will do anything but shoot ?
  • To be fair he was good until opposition teams sussed us out and pushed forward and stopped us from playing it out from the back. He never really looked comfortable in the final third of the field and his tackling is on a par with Ambrose and Stephens - tidy player in a league where the game is played at a slower pace with less pressure on the ball. Recently he has been very poor - offering nothing defensively or going forward. Can't/won't head the ball, can't cross, picks up silly bookings, takes a good pen though! I was hoping he picked up a second yellow the other night so he'd get a suspension as he's yet to be dropped all season!
  • Technically one of our better players, but will only be effective in a 5 at the base, doing the Pirlo. Play to his strengths. Just another midfielder being played out of position.
  • Buyens has an off month or two and he gets castrated on here.

Jackson has an off season and still has tonnes of love all over him.

Bit of double standards going on here.

Castigated I assume not castrated :smile:

I think plenty of us have been critical of Jackson but at least he has an excuse for being slow in that his legs have gone and was still being played twice a week earlier in the season - he shows far more effort but doesn't have the fitness levels required to play week in week out anymore and is only in the team because, apart from Cousins (jury still out on Lepoint) we have no other central mids. Also apart from the 2 CBs, when they can be arsed to come up for corners Jackson is the only other player to offer any aerial threat at corners (should we clear the first defender which is very rare!)

Don't see it as double standards. One player has given his all over the past few years, saved us numerous times. Showed fight, passion and a love for the club. The other clearly doesn't give a shit.
  • I don't for a second deny he has given his all. He is and always will be a player we should all be massively grateful for. Our current situation doesn't allow for sentimentality though and if we are evaluating players we can only look at the present.

As it happens, the other option is that neither of them are good enough which is the most likely truth!
  • sam3110 said:

All I have seen about the guy for the past 6 weeks or so is that he doesn't want to be here, he doesn't want to play for Luzon, he doesn't care, he is a liability, he is the root of all our problems, he is toxic, he isn't championship standard, I could go on.

And I think I may be crazy because I just don't see it.

He isn't our best player, in terms of skill or application, I'd say Gudmundsson is our most gifted player and Cousins applies himself the best, but he certainly isn't the worst. He breaks things up and moves the ball on, he acts as the third centre back when the full backs push on and covers Bikey/Ben Haim if they maraud forwards, and he is a vital cog in the team in that respect, as none of the other midfielders at the club would be able to do this effectively.

He has off days and loss of concentration at times, and loses the ball in the middle of the pitch, but let's be honest here so does Jackson, and Cousins too (Watford away I lost count the amount of times Cousins was dispossessed in the middle of the pitch)

I think people on here hear about how he fell out with Luzon at Standard and have decided he doesn't want to be here, and his performances since his appointment have helped them draw that conclusion, but I think that has nothing to do with it, we as an entire team have been awful for 3 months now, not just Buyens.

So I ask all those constantly digging him out over every other underperforming player, what is it?

Is it because he is on loan?
    Is it because he is from the network?
    Is it because he is Belgian?
    Is it because he is keeping Cousins out of the centre of midfield?
    Is it all of the above, or a combination of?
    Is it something else entirely?

I'm intrigued to know, as I feel he shouldn't get any more flak than Wiggins, Bikey, Vetokele, Ben Haim, Jackson, Solly or anyone else that has had a few bad games in our recent run.

Good post! Buyens does the simple things well and quietly which means it looks like he's being lazy etc and yes I'm disappointed Buyens doesn't look like he enjoys playing for Luzon but I've had managers I didn't like working for sometimes you just have to get on with things and keep your head down. I have thought Buyens was good from the start and he does try to play the ball forward!
  • He is playing (as with many others) with bad form, plenty of others have not been performing, hence the position where we find ourselves in the table.

Him being out of form is not solely the reason why we are, where we are.

He was very good in the first third of the season, but don't let that play into the slagging off.
  • Technically one of our better players, but will only be effective in a 5 at the base, doing the Pirlo. Play to his strengths. Just another midfielder being played out of position.

If we did that we wouldn't be playing to the strengths of whichever striker was played up front on his own.
  • Sponsored links:

Castigated I assume not castrated :smile:

That's why he shows no balls on the pitch (ouch)

• uie2 said:

Good post! Buyens does the simple things well and quietly which means it looks like he's being lazy etc and yes I'm disappointed Buyens doesn't look like he enjoys playing for Luzon but I've had managers I didn't like working for sometimes you just have to get on with things and keep your head down. I have thought Buyens was good from the start and he does try to play the ball forward!

What match was that ?
  • Scoham said:

Technically one of our better players, but will only be effective in a 5 at the base, doing the Pirlo. Play to his strengths. Just another midfielder being played out of position.

If we did that we wouldn't be playing to the strengths of whichever striker was played up front on his own.
    Three at the back dear boy!!!
  • Scoham said:

Technically one of our better players, but will only be effective in a 5 at the base, doing the Pirlo. Play to his strengths. Just another midfielder being played out of position.

Need 3 decent centre backs though!
  • edited February 2015
    Buyens would benefit with having a fit all round midfielder next him (basically Jordan Cousins). Cousins movement would allow space for Buyens and he can find pockets with time on the ball. Having two midfielders of the similar mould in Jackson and Buyens means they are always square to each other and pretty static. The opposition can close them down much quicker and makes Buyens look a lot worse than he actually is.
  • Scoham said:

Not so much playing out of position but does that suit our slow CBs?
  • Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Not so much playing out of position but does that suit our slow CBs?
    Got to use Gomez.
    WIggins on left, moves Cousins inside.
    Watt and Igor looked encouraging as a pair.
    Just a thought.

• "...All I have seen about the guy for the past 6 weeks or so is that he doesn't want to be here, he doesn't want to play for Luzon, he doesn't care, he is a liability, he is the root of all our problems, he is toxic, he isn't championship standard, I could go on..."

Sums up the sponging charlatan perfectly, has been shaming the shirt for 3 months now and sadly he's no longer alone

Doing a Pirlo?? WTF?? unless 'pirlo' is some new slang for turd?

DO ypu have the sam

Position not player!!!
    I look forward to your creative solution, will it involve lots of passion??

• Sponsored links:

• I just suprised when he takes a penalty, the ball goes forward..........