Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Club, Medicals and Optometrists

Does anyone know - does the club include eye tests in the medicals when it "acquires" (I'm loath to use the word "buys") a player? And are eye tests an automatic on-going requirement?

I ask these questions because of the utterly inept performances by Wiggins recently. He frequently doesn't pick up the trajectory of the ball (and our opponents seem to have sussed out this weakness) . Last night he once thought an aerial pass had gone out of play when it hadn't by a long way. A long ball over the top always finds him out of position and often the wrong side of the attacker. It's like his brain isn't processing stuff in three dimensions.

So, I wondered why and concluded that perhaps he actually needs his eyes tested?

Comments

• I'm not sure the clubs problems will be solved by a trip to specsavers.
  • Wiggins is the least of our problems. One of the genuine Champ quality players we have. He has bad games but rarely do his mistakes lead to goals. Getting the best out of him and Solly is vital for our season.
  • Wiggins is the least of our problems. One of the genuine Champ quality players we have.

You say that, but by way of comparison, can you give me the names of any left backs in other Championship teams who have been as shambolic as Wiggins this season?
  • I'm afraid I have to agree. Wiggins & Fox have both been poor & not playing at the required level.
  • cafcfan said:

Wiggins is the least of our problems. One of the genuine Champ quality players we have.

You say that, but by way of comparison, can you give me the names of any left backs in other Championship teams who have been as shambolic as Wiggins this season?

And how many of them have had to deal with the same circumstances at a club as Wiggins? It goes back to the Sheffield Utd debate that NLA and Kent Addick were having last week. Poor morale, no team spirit etc is always going to lead to below par performances, even if subconsciously. As we have seen with Wiggins previously, he can be a very good footballer, he hasn't become bad suddenly. It's a wider problem that again brings us back to RD and this complete mess we are in.
  • cafcfan said:

Wiggins is the least of our problems. One of the genuine Champ quality players we have.

Well possibly if I watched every other team every week. Sadly I do not have the TARDIS nor do I fly around time and space with Jenna Coleman so it's not really a comparison anyone can make, we see (and judge) Wiggins every week, not the other left backs he's being dug out for being worse than.
  • I find all this singling out of players a bit harsh. Clearly NONE of our players are at the top of their game and haven't been since the early part of the season. It's quite obvious to me that they are being greatly affected with all the issues around the club and are struggling to switch it all off when they get out on the pitch. It's a managers job to prepare a team both tactically and mentally and for many reasons that's just not happening.

I feel sorry for the players.
  • Is he worse in evening games than on Saturdays? Could be a night vision problem.
  • Didn't Hamer have a problem with his eyes ? Had laser and got a move.
  • edited February 2015
    I think the injuries that wiggins has suffered have played a big part in his performances. Not been the same since the first one against palace a couple of years ago.

Shame, because he had the makings of a quality player. Now it appears that like Solly and Rufus he will never fulfil his true potential.
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought the medical was:

a) check for a pulse
    b) surreptitious cough and drop
    c) you're in
  • I am clearly on my own but think he has had a reasonable season. Not up to his best but not bad save for maybe one or two games. Coaches have not used/harnessed his attacking skills anywhere near enough. Peeters clearly told him not to go past the half way line. Can't blame him for poor managers.
  • edited February 2015
    thenewbie said:

cafcfan said:

Well possibly if I watched every other team every week. Sadly I do not have the TARDIS nor do I fly around time and space with Jenna Coleman so it's not really a comparison anyone can make, we see (and judge) Wiggins every week, not the other left backs he's being dug out for being worse than.
    Well, IF it's not a comparison anyone can make because they don't seen enough of other teams' players - and I concede the point - how is it possible for anyone to say he's a "Champ quality player"? Because they don't know what they are comparing him (or anyone else) to.

Anyway, my point was he seems to be demonstrating deficiencies that are nothing to do with how good a footballer he is. His main problem seems to be not judging the flight of the ball adequately to enable him to deal with it.
  • thenewbie said:

cafcfan said:

Do you not notice the left back playing for the opposition every week? could we not compare wiggins to them and their performance?

Not that that i'm saying he isn't champ standard. I think its probably a mixture of Inujries, Form, and the toxic atmosphere around SE7 at the moment IMHO
  • I am clearly on my own but think he has had a reasonable season. Not up to his best but not bad save for maybe one or two games. Coaches have not used/harnessed his attacking skills anywhere near enough. Peeters clearly told him not to go past the half way line. Can't blame him for poor managers.

Not entirely on your own Athletico, I think the problem is we can all remember the days when not only could Wiggins defend like Solly, he was a rampaging winger at the same time - the best all round full back we've had for a very long time, he would get forward quickly, intelligently and zip some genuinely dangerous crosses into the box and only the very best wingers getting the better of him at the back.

Sadly whether due to injury, confidence or tactical instructions he's been hobbled, almost literally. Very rare to make a proper run forwards and even rarer for them to amount to much it's the just the thought of what could have been that makes it even more painful. We KNOW he can do much more - because we've seen it happen before.