Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Impact of Sky Deal on Charlton?

edited February 2015 in General Charlton
We could probably say a good deal about the recent deal with Sky and the Premiership for TV rights: from ultra impressive to the end of the world for real football in the UK. But my angle is more local: RD could go either way on this. He could decide that he has to be in the Premier to get any money back and/or out and so concentrate on a 2-3 year plan by putting funds an energy into Charlton. Or he could decide that Charlton had little or no hope of getting into the Premier and back into Standard Liege again who at least could operate in Europe to some advantage. What do you think?

Comments

• Not a lot.........
  • Amended title to not confuse.
  • Roly will have all the answers.....just have to find him. Failing that, katrien is always good for a chat.
  • Fair enough but we may find that Charlton fans are a bit insular..hope not
  • Teams like Bournemouth and Brentford are taking the gamble . Roland was hoping that the stronger FFP regs were going to be agreed upon but they weren't.

Don't expect us to spend big whatsoever.
  • All the time RD has control of our club, the only premier division we're heading towards is the southern premier....
  • buckshee said:

Teams like Bournemouth and Brentford are taking the gamble . Roland was hoping that the stronger FFP regs were going to be agreed upon but they weren't.

Don't expect us to spend big whatsoever.

This. I said at beginning of January, that if RD held the view that we were not going to push for promotion and 'unlikely' to be facing relegation, then his business plan would be to bump along until the summer and take stock then. This way it would involve the lowest possible financial outlay for the business (RD). Unfortunately the mini slump, is turning into the biggest in decades, so is he going to push the panic button. If he's a poker player, he's bloody good, as nobody can see from his face what he's thinking or about to do.
  • It's got to be good, the prize for us getting promotion has just got bigger. This should make us number one in the network.
  • It gives me no pleasure to repeat my prediction of some months back that we will be in League 1 next season.
  • vffvff
    edited February 2015
  • Sponsored links:

• Does it matter if you get more money from getting into the Premier League? The owner doesn't get to keep the money, not if he wants to stay there anyway. The extra money will just go to the players. Alan Sugar puts this argument across very well:

“The more money that is given to the clubs, the more money is spent on players. Anyone who knows the effect of prune juice, it is pretty simple – it goes in one end and comes out the other, and that is exactly what is going to happen with this money.

“A deal is a deal. I suppose the Premier League hierarchy have done a good deal in squeezing the most amount of money out of broadcasters and someone has done a very, very good job so I suppose they are happy. Will they be happy in a year when all the money they have got they have given to players and players’ agents is another story.”

theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/11/richard-scudamore-premier-league-responsibility-living-wage
  • edited February 2015
    Two beach hut's business model is different and doesn't involve promotion or trophies. He banks on status quo but may trip up this year. Players are his stock to be bought then sold at a profit. Simples!