Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

SEE JBG's GOAL AGAINST BORO HERE!

Another great strike

Comments

• Wow, great strike.
    Lots of empty seats there. I know their attendances crashed dramatically but I thought they'd be packing them in this season.
  • cfgs said:

sam3110 said:

Buyens' touch past the defender, by chance or design, is brill

He meant it but he intended to chase it not for JBG.

Yet again @plentyofshots saves me the pain of watching us concede daft goals.

Agreed another lucky assist for a Belgian midfielder.
  • Good goal
  • Oggy Red said:

Great strike - Johann scoring from a good central position again.

Whether you like Buyens or not, personally I thought he did brilliantly to touch the ball on after it being played behind him.
    He was wrong footed so clearly he never intended to chase it.

Give the bloke some credit.

No chance of him getting credit for anything on here. Belgian, network & struggling for form. No.1 scapegoat
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Oggy Red said:

Great strike - Johann scoring from a good central position again.

Whether you like Buyens or not, personally I thought he did brilliantly to touch the ball on after it being played behind him.
    He was wrong footed so clearly he never intended to chase it.

Give the bloke some credit.

No chance of him getting credit for anything on here. Belgian, network & struggling for form. No.1 scapegoat
    Yes that's right. People's thoughts on Buyens involvement in this goal are purely because he's a loanee from Liege and nothing to do with him not looking before poking the ball past the Boro player, starting to run after the ball and then looking surprised to see JBG arriving to hit a shot. None of that could possibly explain why people think he didn't know a lot about the assist so it must be because he's Belgian.

• Buyens is one of our few technically gifted players who would be able to assist like that
  • It's also interesting that Buyens is even in that position. Before he arrived we were told to expect box-to-box midfielder, yet whenever I have seen him in the Peeters regime he was staying deep. The only time I saw him getting forward was second half against Cardiff.

So Luzon may be playing him in the role he played at Standard. Whether Buyens wants to play any way at all for Luzon is for me the biggest question right now.
  • Sponsored links:

• For me there is no way Buyens meant that. If so he lays it off and then continues to run towards the ball rather than make a run in case he gets it back? Great strike from JBG though, one of the players in the squad capable of coming up with true class.
  • If anyone thinks Buyens meant that I am amazed. Sets off after it then sees a team mate arriving.
    Just look at the evidence before your eyes without trying to find hidden meanings in everything.
  • It's also interesting that Buyens is even in that position. Before he arrived we were told to expect box-to-box midfielder, yet whenever I have seen him in the Peeters regime he was staying deep. The only time I saw him getting forward was second half against Cardiff.

So Luzon may be playing him in the role he played at Standard. Whether Buyens wants to play any way at all for Luzon is for me the biggest question right now.

Sorry Prague but stuff like this really irks me, trust me if he didn't want to play that much he would already be back in Belgium
  • Buyens has vision and guile aplenty, but there is no way he meant that. He is a quality player and on his game he is an asset, he just needs to impose himself more to show it in the English game.
  • Doesn't matter if he intended it or not - same as Lepoint managed to set up Cousins with his knee and not even realise it - IT STILL COUNTS. That's what happens when we've finally got more than one player up front arriving in the box instead of poor old Igor/Watt/Churchinho taking on defences single handed. The ball breaks, it slips away, it gets scuffed at odd angles - but it's Charlton players getting onto the end of it instead of the oppo defence.

I for one do not care how intentional it was, under Bob we barely looked liked scoring any kind of goal at all - under Luzon that's 2 goals in three games, not very good at all but even that is a big step forward.
  • thenewbie said:

Doesn't matter if he intended it or not - same as Lepoint managed to set up Cousins with his knee and not even realise it - IT STILL COUNTS. That's what happens when we've finally got more than one player up front arriving in the box instead of poor old Igor/Watt/Churchinho taking on defences single handed. The ball breaks, it slips away, it gets scuffed at odd angles - but it's Charlton players getting onto the end of it instead of the oppo defence.

Exactly. It's called keeping the ball alive.
  • thenewbie said:

Doesn't matter if he intended it or not - same as Lepoint managed to set up Cousins with his knee and not even realise it - IT STILL COUNTS. That's what happens when we've finally got more than one player up front arriving in the box instead of poor old Igor/Watt/Churchinho taking on defences single handed. The ball breaks, it slips away, it gets scuffed at odd angles - but it's Charlton players getting onto the end of it instead of the oppo defence.

I for one do not care how intentional it was, under Bob we barely looked liked scoring any kind of goal at all - under Luzon that's 2 goals in three games, not very good at all but even that is a big step forward.

This very fair comment, we bought a ticket and won the lottery but you can't claim too much skill or judgement for winning a lottery that's all.

• He's far to good for us
  • My player of the year so far i think. So many to choose from....
  • Sponsored links:

• dancafc said:

He's far to good for us

Gudmundsson or Buyens?
  • Gudmundsson
  • I would agree but he needs to produce it on a more consistent basis. Not easy in a struggling team but I can't think of a point in the season where he has delivered consistently over a few weeks or even a single game.
  • thenewbie said:

This very fair comment, we bought a ticket and won the lottery but you can't claim too much skill or judgement for winning a lottery that's all.

Yeah, but this is after several months of not buying the ticket in the first place. Also, I believe I just stretched the simile beyond breaking point. Sorry.
  • What a banger from Jo Berg, a rare gem in an otherwise uninspiring season.
  • dancafc said:

He's far to good for us

A few good goals and obviously has ability but I don't think he's done that much yet. I'm not sure he'd be a regular for a top 6 side, I'd like to see him create a few more goals and generally get a bit more involved. He also seems to have reasonable pace when he wants to use it but rarely does.