Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Apprehension is Not a Lack of Support

edited February 2015 in General Charlton
Latest shopper column

Click Here To Read

Comments

• Good article
  • I don't know why but the phrase `odd social experiment ' made me think of Millwall.
  • rikofold said:

"We don’t want the blind leading the blind. We want to feel a lot more comfortable we’re in the hands of someone who is running the club sensibly and for the benefit of the club as well as themselves."

A neat snapshot of the thinking there I think. A personal view is that I don't mind RD getting richer off the back of a successful Charlton, provided that wasn't at the cost of the club whose very survival and development the supporters have been so intricately involved with.

Alan Curbishley used to show new players a video of what it meant to be associated with Charlton. I kind of feel that's what's needed with RD and KM - understand the culture, the identity of the club, and enhance it - not throw it aside for what appears to be some kind of odd social experiment.

I do think the best for all parties would be that owner and supporters worked together to deliver success for all that really meant success for all in all aspects. Lots of 'alls' there, but you get my point I hope.

Excellent post - I find it interesting because all day long in my job I pretend to know about and talk to people about buzzwords in business such as culture. Yet here is something I can actually relate it too.

This line sums it up for me

I do think the best for all parties would be that owner and supporters worked together to deliver success for all that really meant success for all in all aspects.

That's exactly what I hope for, but fear we are past that now. I wish RD had taken the time to understand what he was buying away from the balance sheet and did a 'cultural' due diligence, if you will. He's a businessman, surely when embarking on a similar business transaction such as an acquisition, actions are taken to understand if there is a 'cultural' fit.

Surely above all else that would be something RD understands and can relate too
  • Indeed, Cabbles. I don't know what qualities he seeks in his potential acquisitions. Was 'cultural identity' on the list? Does he view a football club as a 'Unit', a commodity?
    It rather feels like we've become one now, that's for sure. The antithesis of how we were under Chris Powell. And doesn't it show?!
  • Indeed, Cabbles. I don't know what qualities he seeks in his potential acquisitions. Was 'cultural identity' on the list? Does he view a football club as a 'Unit', a commodity?
    It rather feels like we've become one now, that's for sure. The antithesis of how we were under Chris Powell. And doesn't it show?!

That's what I thought. If you want to look at it like a business, then that's fine. But as I understand it, so many businesses these days talk of that 'cultural fit'

Yet he's ignored this. For the astute businessman this doesn't make sense.

I think what we are seeing his RD the businessman treating us like a leisurely hobby, equivalent to golf. Yet he wants to show other golfers (other football clubs), that he's got a new method that is better than others. Silly analogy I know
  • Good analogy cabbles.

Roland is going round this lovely new golf course, which was paid for by letting his best golf pro go to a rival.

when he looks in his bag he finds 4 clubs
    1. wood with a damaged head.
    2. 5 iron which is bent.
    3. left handed 8 iron(difficult if right handed)
    4. plastic putter.

FORE..................................................................

• Good article. Most fan unrest at clubs in the past has shown mainly anger at lack of investment/poor manager. Not the case here, most are displaying confusion and apprehension over what direction we are being taken. Lack of investment and crap managers go with the territory, that, perversely, is now almost secondary.