Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A Subtle Protest.

Like just about everybody, I am extremely anxious about the current atmosphere our at Club. I am looking for a subtle but effective way in which we can visually and very clearly demonstrate our feelings to the Management. I have seen suggestions of boycotts or holding back ticket purchasing, but I don't believe that that sort of action is a good idea, and I don't want anything that denies me watching a game of football.
I have been considering Roland's actions since he arrived, quickly improving the pitch, and investing in the Academy building. We know that he is a money man, but he is apparently a bricks and mortar man as well. He has shown in my eyes a complete determination that it is his way or the highway, no sign of being able to interact with people or to communicate with us. So what do we do ?
My idea is to find a way for us to attend a game, and show clearly and visibly that although he now owns the bricks and mortar (and the grass), it is the supporters and their families before them who own the history and the passion of support of OUR CLUB. My idea would be to find a way to make a wooly hat and a scarf in white colour available with IT'S OUR CLUB or IT'S OUR CHARLTON in red. If we could make it so that when any member of the management attended a game, they were confronted by a sea of WHITE and RED shouting the message, it would surely attract the attention of the Press and TV, and hopefully of Roland. I am thinking that the TRUST might have the wherewithal for this, or am I crazy ?

Comments

• We could bring our own bricks and mortar to chuck on his pitch
  • Getting the knitting needles out as we speak !!
  • Sounds like an invitation to the laydeeeez of CL to get knitting.
  • How about complete silence instead? Requires no outlay, comes naturally to a lot of people, unlikely to be disturbed by goal celebrations, and could be very effective. It's what we're not expected to do so more likely to get noticed. This among other proactive strategies. No one solution to this and longer term will call for different tactics. Complete and utter silence. Practice against Norwich.
  • A bit like a live 'where's wally'?
  • How about complete silence instead? Requires no outlay, comes naturally to a lot of people, unlikely to be disturbed by goal celebrations, and could be very effective. It's what we're not expected to do so more likely to get noticed. This among other proactive strategies. No one solution to this and longer term will call for different tactics. Complete and utter silence. Practice against Norwich.

You are too late, practice for that was against Rotherham
  • Nah, wouldn't fit in my pencil case.
  • edited February 2015
    Wave white hankies like they do in Spain. That'll show him! :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• If it doesn't impact Roland then he wont give a shit. He's not going to notice a quiet minute in SE7 when he's in Belgium. Nor will he notice if we're all wearing a special hat...
  • Everyone can chuck waffles onto the pitch as the game kicks off....
  • Addicted said:

If it doesn't impact Roland then he wont give a shit. He's not going to notice a quiet minute in SE7 when he's in Belgium. Nor will he notice if we're all wearing a special hat...

Impacts on Roland come later. We're not likely to get a whole solution to this with a single act. It's important to build critical mass first by any number of means.
  • Addicted said:

If it doesn't impact Roland then he wont give a shit. He's not going to notice a quiet minute in SE7 when he's in Belgium. Nor will he notice if we're all wearing a special hat...

Impacts on Roland come later. We're not likely to get a whole solution to this with a single act. It's important to build critical mass first by any number of means.
    true but can we do it without the special wally hats?

Oi I thought of that first ... great idea
  • Addicted said:

You are of course right, I guess something like this may draw wider attention at least in the ground. Solly Granpa

• A protest of this nature would be noted. It would be reported. And then in all probability ignored by RD.

However it would be noted by other fans and could assist in drawing attention and / support to the points you wish to make.

The cost would not be prohibitive, however there would be some initial outlay involved in organising this.
  • edited February 2015
    _MrDick said:

How about complete silence instead? Requires no outlay, comes naturally to a lot of people, unlikely to be disturbed by goal celebrations, and could be very effective. It's what we're not expected to do so more likely to get noticed. This among other proactive strategies. No one solution to this and longer term will call for different tactics. Complete and utter silence. Practice against Norwich.

Oi I thought of that first ... great idea
    I am more and more liking your idea @_MrDick (which thread was that on as it deserves a bump?). When the usual meatheads start complaining about the lack of atmosphere we can put them straight directly as to why, on here or at the ground, quietly. Some banners would be in order too: "shhh if you love Charlton" /or "shhh if you don't get the network".
  • Sorry if it seems that I've been living under a rock for the past couple of weeks, but could someone please tell me what the protest is against and what it would hope to achieve?
  • Sponsored links:

• How about a print off sheet ala the Chris Powell 100% A4 posters for people to take to the game and hold up. Surely a design could be easily drawn up with a simple message of disapproval.

The difficulty here is what message is it were trying to get across.
  • Sorry if it seems that I've been living under a rock for the past couple of weeks, but could someone please tell me what the protest is against and what it would hope to achieve?

I think in summary, and my personal view only, it's against RD's network model. Since the trust made a summary of the situation on its website, mid-January, nothing nothing positive has happened to improve this perception (e.g. no wins and no notable transfer business); http://www.castrust.org/2015/01/club-responds-fans-new-cafc-head-coach-hire-process/

A good result or two will go a long way to changing the mood for some, hence perhaps why many are still taking a wait and see attitude.
  • I've been trying to think of something that wouldn't harm the club but would make a point.

The only idea I've come up with so far, is to choose a Saturday when CAFC aren't at home and pick a non-league game to attend en masse. Maybe Greenwich Borough? Speak with that club get them to make an end available to us and offer discounted ticket prices (GBFC have done this for Dartford S/T holders already - hence my suggestion) tip-off the press and turn up in the Charlton gear plus banners, get some press photos done and the point is made: you screw with us too much and it's really not that difficult to take our custom elsewhere.

As a by-product the chosen non-league club benefits from extra revenue.

Have always thought that the best protest would be utter silence and for everyone to turn their backs on the pitch as the players come out

Highlights that you dont like how matters involving players and events on the pitch are being handled, then when the match kicks off the protest ends and we support the players by making as much noise as possible so we're basically saying to them "Look we're protesting to the board but we know you have no say over the matter so you'll have our support"
  • All pick up catalogues from the club shop and then have a synchronised throwing of them on the pitch.
  • Stick your network up your arse
    Stick your network up your arse
    From standard liege
    To the valley
    Stick your network up your arse

Surely you've been aware of the PR fiasco of the managerial appointment? The way Roly operates the Network to suit himself, not Charlton? The ineptitude of his computerised scouting system? A protest probably won't achieve anything, Roly is too inflexible, but it would be a first step to ridding ourselves of the virus.

• Set fire to some Tintin comics and chuck waffles on the pitch.

I think in summary, and my personal view only, it's against RD's network model. Since the trust made a summary of the situation on its website, mid-January, nothing nothing positive has happened to improve this perception (e.g. no wins and no notable transfer business); http://www.castrust.org/2015/01/club-responds-fans-new-cafc-head-coach-hire-process/

A good result or two will go a long way to changing the mood for some, hence perhaps why many are still taking a wait and see attitude.

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out.

Sorry if it seems that I've been living under a rock for the past couple of weeks, but could someone please tell me what the protest is against and what it would hope to achieve?

Surely you've been aware of the PR fiasco of the managerial appointment? The way Roly operates the Network to suit himself, not Charlton? The ineptitude of his computerised scouting system? A protest probably won't achieve anything, Roly is too inflexible, but it would be a first step to ridding ourselves of the virus.

Yes, I'm aware of what happened with the appointment. Not sure how the club is benefiting the owner as I doubt he's making mega bucks, especially having spent a fortune on it, although maybe someone could educate me on that as to be honest, I haven't got a clue. The transfers that have come in have been of mixed quality. Some very good (TBH, JBG and Vetokele (although he probably wasn't scouted)), some nowhere near good enough. I could be naive but I'm not sure I've seen enough to feel comfortable joining in with any kind of protest, but hope that if anything goes ahead, it'll will yield positive results. Perhaps I'll change my mind if I read something on here that persuades me. So for now, I'll just continue turning up and getting behind the team.