Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Was there a good 1974 album?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Slade in Flame, my dear old Nan bought it for me for Christmas.
  • Options
    Jesus 1974 was the best year for music.
  • Options
    Average White Band
  • Options
    The Hoople - Mott the Hoople
  • Options
    Pinky and Perky's Singalong Album.

Classic.
  • Options
    Singalong to Pinky and Perky? I suppose it depends on your voicebox.
  • Options
    I know it's not 1974, what about the one from the 1975?
  • Options
    Rory Gallagher: Irish Tour

• Options
    New Skin for the Old Ceremony - Leonard Cohen
    Red - King Crimson
    Interstellar Space - John Coltrane
    The Heart of Saturday Night - Tom Waits

'74 was a very good year!!
  • Options

Is that when he went to Wales?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    singalongamax vol 3
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Is that when he went to Wales?
    There was me thinking you were a guitarist mate!. ha ha ha!
    Rory was living in London at the time, the celebrated film of this tour recorded by Tony Palmer, and showed the world that Ireland had a world renowned rock star, as I am sure you know. When rock artists did not have the balls to play anywhere near N. I let alone Belfast, Rory always remembered the fan's, ( remember his company financed the first Rock festival there) and the album sold a mere 2 million I think it was.
    But as someone else said..........

Gallagher's 1974 tour of Ireland coincided with one of the most tumultuous times in Belfast. Violence from IRA terrorists was erupting throughout the city even at rock concerts. As a result, most rock acts refused to play in the city. The day before Gallagher's scheduled concert in Belfast ten bombs went off at various locations around the city. Everyone expected Gallagher to cancel as all the other big names had but he went on with the concert and was rewarded with one of his best shows. A local Belfast journalist writing to describe the concert and the feeling of staying strong in the face of terrorism said "I've never seen anything quite so wonderful, so stirring, so uplifting, so joyous as when Gallagher and the band walked on stage. The whole place erupted, they all stood and they cheered and they yelled, and screamed, and they put their arms up, and they embraced. Then as one unit they put their arms into the air and gave peace signs. Without being silly, or overemotional, it was one of the most memorable moments of my life. It all meant something, it meant more than just rock n' roll, it was something bigger, something more valid than just that.

How good he was as a player, well we all have our opinions..... but as a man that loved the music, and playing to the fans...... No 1 to me.
    But then you knew that....... didn't you?
  • Options
    Keith Hudson - Pick a Dub.
  • Options
    A few more albums from 1974. Whether or not you think they were any good is up to you

Band On The Run (Wings)
    Five A Side (Ace)
    Get Your Wings (Aerosmith)
    Holiday (America)
    Average White Band (AWB)
    Not Fragile (Bachman Turner Overdrive)
    Secret Treaties (Blue Oyster Cult
    Planet Waves (Bob Dylan)
    Buddha and the Chocolate Box (Cat Stevens)
    The Free Story (greatest hits compilation) (Free)
    Walls & Bridges (John Lennon)
    Caribou (Elton John)
    It's Only Rock and Roll (Rolling Stones)
    Quo (Status Quo)
    Desolation Boulevard (The Sweet)
    Wonderworld (Uriah Heep)

By far and away though, the best album of '74 was Pretzel Logic by Steely Dan. Miles ahead of anything else.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Average White Band

OP wants Good albums, Henry, not Average ones.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    LoonyBin said:

A few more albums from 1974. Whether or not you think they were any good is up to you

Band On The Run (Wings)
    Five A Side (Ace)
    Get Your Wings (Aerosmith)
    Holiday (America)
    Average White Band (AWB)
    Not Fragile (Bachman Turner Overdrive)
    Secret Treaties (Blue Oyster Cult
    Planet Waves (Bob Dylan)
    Buddha and the Chocolate Box (Cat Stevens)
    The Free Story (greatest hits compilation) (Free)
    Walls & Bridges (John Lennon)
    Caribou (Elton John)
    It's Only Rock and Roll (Rolling Stones)
    Quo (Status Quo)
    Desolation Boulevard (The Sweet)
    Wonderworld (Uriah Heep)

By far and away though, the best album of '74 was Pretzel Logic by Steely Dan. Miles ahead of anything else.

Oh no it wasn't........
  • Options
    As mentioned above, Red by King Crimson. I still listen to it - amazing and heavy. KC also released Starless and Bible Black in 1974, also brilliant.
  • Options
    The Confessions of Dr Dream by the late Kevin Ayers. Not his greatest work, but pretty good.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

The Confessions of Dr Dream by the late Kevin Ayers. Not his greatest work, but pretty good.

I was very strangely saddened by this lovely man's death.
    In fact I joined Facebook just to learn more about him recently. amazing fans with amazing old videos.

Despite the poor production his last 'Unfairground' is sweet listening with a glass of wine on a continental summers day.
  • Options
    Just been listening to Kevin in the car. What more can I say is his preview of Confession of Dr Dream. Not over produced and very insightful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just been listening to Kevin in the car. What more can I say is his preview of Confession of Dr Dream. Not over produced and very insightful.

Whatevershebringswesing is a good Kevin Ayers LP imo.
  • Options
    Agree Badger.
  • Options
    Miles Davis - Get Up With It
  • Options
    Agadoo
  • Options
    War babies by Hall and Oates produced by Todd Rundgren .Essential addition to your music collection .
  • Options
    Reading this thread has just made me realise that I appear to have lost my Steely Dan CD box set. Didn't see it in London last time I checked, definitely no in my CD cupboard here in Phuket.

Anyway, another vote for Pretzel Logic!
  • Options
    well I asked the question so I listened to a few, there are two I like:
    1. Veedon Fleece - Van Morrison (I thought Astral Weeks was his only "good" one ;-)
    2. Radio City - Big Star

Thanks!
  • Options
    Salad said:

well I asked the question so I listened to a few, there are two I like:
    1. Veedon Fleece - Van Morrison (I thought Astral Weeks was his only "good" one ;-)
    2. Radio City - Big Star

Thanks!

You're welcome

I would say Van's series of LPs (one for the kids there) around that time are all better than Astral Weeks but I'm more soul than jazz

Moondance
    Tupelo Honey
    Saint Dominic's Preview
    Hard Nose the Highway
    It's Too Late to Stop Now (Live)
    Veedon Fleece